Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Chris' Contest Entry

4 years ago
Name is subject to change but the tenative title is Curse of the Wendigo. Yeah, yeah, it sounds like some sort of cheap horror novel, laugh it up. Originally this story was going to be a pure fantasy story, but browsing some images for inspiration gave me the idea to do a complete 180. So, what was originally set in generic fantasy land 101 has become a story set in mid 1800s America, or rather an alternate version of mid 1800s America with a supernatural twist. Beasts roam the land at night killing any humans they come across, witches terrorize anyone who ventures into their woods, and an order of monster hunters have risen to combat the things that go bump in the night. The protagonist, of course, is one such monster hunter. Called out to a settlement in Minnesota Territory, you must track down and kill a, surprise surprise, wendigo in the area that has been killing local animals and may soon move onto humans. Using your skills, you must track down and kill the beast before it can claim any lives. This is going to be an interesting challenge for me because I have literally no experience in writing something horror-oriented like this, and I want to shy away from the action and combat that a lot of my earlier stories have. The protagonist is trained to hunt monsters, yes, but still just a human with a rifle and six-shooter at the end of the day. To top off the tension that a very human protagonist brings to the table, expect more than a few descriptions of violence and gore in the story, whether you're examining the aftermath of an incident, watching it happen to someone else, or experiencing it yourself. I imagine this will be some mix of gauntlet and time cave, probably a number of branches to explore but only one or two "right" branches if it makes sense. Most will probably end in death, others the wendigo getting away. Overall though, I hope that I can craft a story that everyone can enjoy. Badaboom there's your fucking thread Bucky, expect me to do the bare minimum in keeping this updated.

Chris' Contest Entry

4 years ago
Thank you for humoring me.