Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Storyteller Pilgrim - contest (Camelon)

4 years ago

Now that Thanksgiving weekend is over I can finally start planning this out. :) I picked prompt 25 for it's Canterbury Tales and Hyperion vibe.

25) You're a pilgrim traveling to a holy site. To fund your travels, you tell short stories that the audience can influence. The setting may be historical or fantastical.

I'm not that familiar with the editor here, yet. I've played around with it a bit, but other than 'Score' I haven't used any other variables, and I haven't looked up how to do items yet. So I'll need to budget some time in to make sure I can do what I want.

So far I have a vague plot outline formed in my head, though not written, as well as some minor world building. [Leaning towards the group-prompt storytelling being literally necessary in the world...] 

Questions I'm pondering as I brainstorm:

- Do I want audience influence to only happen during stories, or to be more of a thing that can influence stories throughout the game (e.g. prompts from the audience becoming like items one can use later for inspiration, or the audience rewarding not just with money but scraps of tales or artifacts as well sometimes.)

- Do I want the path to the sacred site to be fairly linear (e.g. five set locations) or have it more flexible in the route he can take? (E.g. choose to go to the wealthier city where the people are harder to please, or the story loving town that has been hit with hard times?) I'm leaning towards the latter, but time will be a concern.

- I'm thinking for each location that there will be a number of options, but the player will be restricted to choosing only one or two. I'm not sure how to script that yet.

- I'm debating whether to make crowd prompts more meta (e.g. the crowd shouts "clown!" or "pink whale!") or have it more natural to the story (e.g. you see several raised hands, and must choose between the teenager with a vicious gleam in his eye or the child with his finger up his nose) - where the type of prompt a person might pick (hard, silly, classic, etc.) is only hinted at with their description. And some crowds like different sorts of things.

- Working on how to make the end game meaningful with diverse endings more than just "you make it" or "you fail." I have some ideas for this so far, but figuring out how to implement them will be tricky.

4 years ago

This story is gonna be hype, and I love this prompt, almost picked it myself.  I like the idea of picking specific members of your audience based on their appearance.  Gives an element of control, but not complete control over the path you take.  

4 years ago
I think this prompt has a lot of room for subplots. I almost tacked one onto it when I made the list ... something about how the storyteller left behind a trail of bastards in his wake and had an angry count on his trail. But I decided it was unnecessary.

Anyway, the story world itself may have an impact on the pilgrim. Maybe there's a civil war brewing? Internal squabbles between neighboring counts? Disastrously bad weather? A flooded river? A broken bridge? Plague? Food shortages? Heretics? Zealots killing heretics? An obsessed wench that follows you like a lost puppy?

4 years ago

There is certainly going to be a larger backdrop to the world in terms of conflict/politics, and each location he goes to will have it's own problems (Whether related to that conflct or more day to day concerns.) I'm not sure how much it will directly affect the pilgrim, yet, except for at least one of the locations where there might could be a kidnapping as I have it plotted now. One of the things I liked about Simmon's Hyperion sci-fi take on the Canterbury Tales was that the pilgramage was just a small "slice" against a much larger conflict - like huge things were happening in the world, if not the whole universe, and they were just swapping tales and focused on reaching their destination for their own motives. Only towards the end did their plotlines more obviously thread into the larger narrative. I thought it was the most effective book of the Hyperion Cantos because of that feel.

I think the main focus for now is going to be planning out the core structure of his travel and how the stories will work, then fill in side quests once the basics are done.

(I also had zealots killing heretics in my last contest game, and a broken bridge featured prominently, lol. And an obsessed wench, although she was the one who made Aeron follow her like a loyal dog.)

4 years ago
Well, if the bridges keep breaking, we'll have to find your story universes some better engineers, won't we!

4 years ago

Potential spoilers!!

I have the main routes drafted out. Each route has seven locations - the start, the destination, and five stops between. The routes can overlap at a few points, and certain sections can be linear [Most noteably the camel caravan.] Each route will have trade offs in expense (the player may not be able to always afford certain options, or may choose to conserve the extra cash) as well as the potential reward of the destination or the types of story a location prefers.

I am still unsure how much knowledge of the map I should give up front, or whether a map will be an item. I *think* I might have the player start with access to an old letter detailing one of the specific routes, and have some tidbits of other locations sprinkled throughout the game to help the player to decide whether to try an alternate route.

4 years ago
Looks neat. You seem to be putting some solid thought into this.

4 years ago

This sounds like a lot of fun! I can't wait to play the finished product!

There are really good guides to variables and restricted links. They are relatively easy... sounds like you will just need to make a variable called "money" and have your story earn/lose it (which can happen each time you click a link). From there you can set links to only be available if your money is higher than the cost, and have it subtract the cost. You can also link different endings to how much money you have left if you do this... sort of like you donate all your money at the ending destination and if you have more than X gold Y happens. 

I am not sure if any of that aligns with what you had in mind, but good luck writing!

4 years ago

Yah, I looked through some of the tutorials and it looks like I can do most everything I want with variables and not need to worry about 'scripting' yet. So money will be one of them. There will also be some private? variables that the player can't see that will affect what they can do at the final destination and what endings are available to them. In theory. My planned variables for those so far are Classic, Absurd, Despair, Inspiring, Moral, Humor, and Macabe. Those each map to two potential types of stories. I'm debating whether or not to throw in a faction stat between mages and muses or if most of that can be handled inside the game itself.

4 years ago
Oh neat, hidden modifiers. If they have a significant impact on the endings, or if some endings are difficult to get, can you make a walkthrough (at least for the judges) at some point after you're done?

That's not a requirement. Just a humble request. And please don't waste time on it, unless you think it will help you planning wise, until after you feel you have a finished product.

4 years ago

Good idea! I plan to keep track of that for myself, so hopefully I will have at least something simple related to that, (E.g. to hit this rare ending, take this path and do X, then do Y in this location or Z in this location or both.)

Right now as I write it I've turned all the variables to show so that when I play it/test it I can easily note the variable changes and tweak them if needed. 

4 years ago

I have the first location and all it's activities/events connected with their variables in the editor and a rough summary of what occurs on each page. I'm trying to keep moving as there are at probably 10 days this month, at least, where I won't be able to write on it.

None of the pages have the final version yet, but one of my 'stories' turned into a poem when one of the audience members insisted she wanted poetry ;)

The princess in her garden,
In her merry, hanging garden,
With verdant Philodendron,
And Bouganvillae silk,

Comes to water all the roses,
All the vibrant, scarlet roses
From a golden pitcher
Touched with honey and with milk.

Sitting down beneath the flowers
On a bench below the flowers
She works upon her sampler
In bright glass jewels and thread.

"She embroiders for the prince,
Her handsome, charming prince,
Who awaits her in the north,"
The chatty fuschias said.

"She must sew for her mother,
The gentle, wise queen mother,
Who brings us tea in summer,"
The sunflowers replied.

"Perhaps she makes a shroud,
A golden, melancholy shroud,
For the tomb of her dear father,"
The morning glory cried.

The princess stood and smiled,
Bittersweet, she softly smiled,
"They are all my special treasures,
But they are not my secret friend.

"I have made you each a ribbon,
A patterned, silken ribbon,
To return the warmth in winter,
That you gave my heart to mend.

4 years ago

Now that I can finally dive into the actual writing part, I've finished the first page. I tried to find a balance between not overloading with exposition but still keeping it clear what is happening and why it's a problem.

A lilting symphony wakes you; brightly colored warblers and thrushes are serenading the dawn. It's your favorite time of day - the golden hour when the flora and fauna of Dreaming Forest blush and bloom, but the humans of Harrow Village have yet to wake.

Since dreams were lost thirty years ago in the Sacrifice of Salvation, there is little attraction left for you in sleeping late. You wake with the sun - earlier, in winter, - and generally spend your mornings laying out in the dewy grass, staring up at the light shimmering over the leaves of the forest canopy, or trying to count how many different sounds you can hear.  Sometimes, you bring out miniature, carved palaces and hang them, then sit a while watching the hummingbirds squabble over the thrones of seed and the fountains of nectar.

But today is different, for it will be your last day in Dreaming Forest for some time, perhaps forever. You sit and hot drink Franjia tea, just watching and taking everything in, as if drawing each aspect of the scene on the folded papers of your mind. "Good-bye to you all," you murmur at the creatures of paradise that flit and dive around you. This place, this secret idyllic corner of nature, was the final dream of your wife before she was lost. You were meant to have shared it together - her, the Muse of Epics, and you, the simple storyteller she fell in love with. Instead, you had tended it for four decades, alone, with only her memory beside you. And now, even that is fading.

"It's time," you sigh, and return inside your simple wooden cabin to finish packing. Today you are to begin a pilgrimage that will take you thousands of farspans north, across the equator and beyond, to the sacred Grove of Muses. It is there your wife stands as stone, along with the other muses who gave their lives to save the planet. All save Sandman, who was all but destroyed, and now orbits the planet as a ring of glittering dust. Now, instead of giving special dreams, all dreams exotic or mundane, return to him.

A weeks worth of food. Three pairs of clothing. A blanket. 50 pieces of silver - all your savings. There isn't a lot you can take, since you will have to travel light. And it will not be easy - you will have to trust that you can earn money along the way, whether by odd jobs or by telling stories, if you hope to keep traveling once your funds run out. But there is one item above all others that you must take: Ivani's Book of Tales.

It is your most valued possession, the original stories your wife once inscribed and gave to you as a wedding present. Many of the stories have faded to near illegibility - the ones you have read the most, for all tales fade in the world now that the muses have gone, even ones like these written before the Sacrifice or written on Remembrance paper or carved into stone. They might not vanish immediately like spoken tales, never to be told again, but they still are powerless to last forever. But to lose the memory of them - that is what terrifies you, and what has driven you to take this Pilgrimage.

At first you had thought the lapses were just the dawn of old age - you are over seventy - but they were all related to the Book of Tales, or to stories you told the people of Dreaming Village. You would speak a tale, and then not only would the words be lost forever - but you would find you couldn't recall what the story had been about a week later. After months of this, you began to hear rumors and complaints of others who were also forgetting - forgetting not just the stories they had heard, but the memories of the Muses or the dreams they had had in childhood before the Sacrifice had robbed the world of nighttime visions. Then, you woke one morning to find you couldn't remember the color of Ivani's eyes.

Something is wrong, and it is imperative that you find out what. You hope there will be something with her, in the Grove of Muses, to explain what is happening or provide an answer. She had sacrificed herself to save the world, but at what cost? Why have dreams gone? Why do stories fade? And what is eating your very memories?

You shrug on your cloak, shoulder your pack, grab your favorite carved walking stick from your collection, and shuffle on foot through the trees towards a forked path overlooking the town. Your limited supply of money will not get very far, and you cannot cross mountains, oceans, and deserts on foot. You'll need some form of transportation, and the nearest place to get that is Dreaming Village.

The town is divided into two sections - the main town, and Inrit Gardens. You are well-known to the townfolk as you have spent over half your life telling stories to them and buying food and supplies. But Inrit Gardens is a place for tourists and the rich who planted summer homes there. Like most village-folk, you avoid it unless there is a reason to go.
You have toured Inrit a few times just to see the sculpted gardens and the creatures that inhabit it, as it too was a place touched by your wife, but its beauty had been tamed and controlled so it did not hold the solace you hoped. Still, it might be a good place to visit now, as nobles have deeper pockets than the common man. While it might be harder to get noticed or draw a crowd in a place like Inrit Gardens, they would likely be willing to pay a lot more for an hour's entertainment.

But you haven't said good-bye to anyone in the main village, and they are the ones who have supported you all these years. The children, especially, are fond of your tales even as their parents grow jaded through the years, remembering the times when stories could be told over and over.

You reach the edge of the forest and the forked path and look down over the village. Inrit Gardens dazzles even from here, a patch of green and blue, home to many stately homes and several larger mansions. Everything there seems quiet, almost untouchable. The main Village is a bit more brown and homely, but you can see the colorful awnings of the market stalls in Town Square, as well as at least a hundred small figures moving about. It should be a good crowd, today. You step forward, clenching your staff with veined, papery hands. Where will you begin your journey?

4 years ago

The first section/starting section is complete, minus the transitional "Aquire Transportation" page. I'm not sure the exact word count (since my drafts are right along with my finals in the word docs) but I think it's at least 7k so far. Within that (depending on the path taken) there's a poem, a fable, a humorous story, a tragic tale, a lore inscription, or an item that can be used for a future free boat trip to find. Or one can take the easy route and just go sell an item for cash.

The stops along the way should each be a little shorter, and fortunately the paths can converge at points, but to make sure it gets done I'll start with the main path that can be accessed even with low cash, then when that is finished put in the next path and it's potential endings, and then only when that is finished put in the last one.

4 years ago
Glad to hear things are moving along well.

4 years ago

Brief update:
Up to about 13k or so, I think, and have the second section minus the transitional done. I put more in it than I thought I would. I think most of the writing on this will be done next week when I have a good stretch of time to write that isn't packed with events with relatives. I've a good handle on what I need to do to track the variables as I go so am needing to spend less time planning and on figuring out what to do there, and I'm tracking all the variable changes in an excel sheet which should make the end game easy to write.

4 years ago

~17,500 words currently. Didn't write quite as much today and yesterday as I had planned, so I need to step up for the rest of the week and get as much as I can get done finished by next Tuesday. I'm hoping to have it mostly done by then so I can ask some proofreaders to look it over.

4 years ago

Close to 21k words. I'm finding that my transportation sections are as long as destinations, so I shouldn't need as many 'stops' along the way and can cut out a couple of the less important/barely plotted ones. I'm also not going to try to make each route roughly the same length anymore. They'll all have a good level of content at this rate, but some might be longer just like a real Pilgrimage with different paths would.

[Also, I find it way harder to be mean to my old-guy character than I did to Aeron in the Blade of the Hollow.  Aeron got mauled by wyverns and his face eaten off by rats, etc., but I couldn't even bring myself to have Dustan's tongue cut out and nerfed that end scene by making it a spell.]

4 years ago
Kill your darlings.

4 years ago

26k+. Should have had a lot more, but apparently a stretch with no official plans I see as "time to write!," others see as meaning I must have endless free time if they come by to visit or call.

It's coming along though. I don't think it will be as expansive as I'd like, given the short deadline, so I'll probably go back and add more once the contest is over. But it's been pretty fun to write so far. I'm not sure how well my sleep-deprived jokes will translate, but if I get enough done by Tuesday maybe I can ask some beta-readers to take a look.

4 years ago
I'm glad you're having fun with it!

4 years ago

Brief update before I catch some sorely needed sleep:

Approx 33k story length. I have all the structure of the main route completed (though a few stories/pages are still in 'summary' form) and should be able to write a handful of the main game endings tomorrow. But I won't get another long writing session until Jan 2nd, probably.

4 years ago

37k+. Since I won't get a lot of time on the computer until after the new year, I'm writing stuff out by hand and then using computer time to transcribe it/update it. I actually wish I'd started this way, as I get to edit the first draft rather than just hoping it comes out well the first time.

4 years ago
Paper and pen do exist!

4 years ago

It wasn't a lot, but was still about 4,000 more words than I thought I would manage over the holidays! I feel it's in a much more comfortable place to finish before the deadline without having to take a chainsaw to it.

4 years ago

A bit of "making of" trivia:

Most of the storytelling in this game is with actual stories. (There are a few spots where it is summarized or simply informative for the sake of pacing, such as working for a week in one place telling stories, but this doesn't happen often.) I'm not planning these stories out before writing them or planning a basic structure and picking prompts to fit. I start with the prompts, like candle/giant/jungle/etc. Some of these will be a bit recognizable (I've pulled a lot from Bucky's list) or ones from random generators online, as primarily I wanted them to have an authentic factor of not coming directly from me, but being things someone in a crowd might throw out. I did fill out each list of character/setting/object with some prompts of my own.

The typical story structure in the game has Dustan choosing two prompts himself. (I do this mostly by just glancing at my prompt page and picking the first two I land on, unless I need a specific type of prompt (e.g. "dark" or "funny") in which case I might pick from a few different ones. Then I look at what type of story is needed for that section of the story (e.g. funny, heroic, moral) as there needs to be a balance of them for the different endings, choose a couple of characters the storyteller can pick from, and look over my prompt list to find an unused one that fits the needed trait.

Then, I free-write the stories to fit the prompts. The two stories will share two elements, but the third will be different, and generally the style/mood of each is a bit different as well

4 years ago

41,870 words so far. Finishing up the final scene/main endings today. Tomorrow I'll hook up the middle branch to the end and write a couple of the rarer endings, if I don't already have them finished by tonight. Hopefully I can also squeeze in connecting the Cathedral of Havor route, otherwise I will have to cut it from this version and just add it in later. Jan 3rd I'd like to save for proofreading and play-testing to make sure all the variables are working right before I publish it.

4 years ago

I have officially broken 50k. 9 of the main endings are done (there are also a few game endings sprinkled along the way.)
Only two pages left to finish in the primary path. After that it's connecting up the other routes, whatever I have time for. I might put it on sneak peek soon and start a walkthrough thread to see if I can snag a couple proofreaders in the time I have left.

4 years ago

55k+, and I'm off to sleep. It really helped plotting scenes and how they connected before I got to writing them. The game is now in Sneak Peek mode (though I would recommend avoiding Cathedral of Havor and Pefallis paths for now, as they are not completely hooked up) and a few of the endings have walkthroughs up in the Parlor. Before the game is published, I'll hide all the stats save Silver.
Tomorrow will be finishing up the Pefallis route, and hopefully getting a couple hours to double check it for any game-breaking errors. I don't think I will be able to fully connect the Cathedral in time, unless I can crank out another day like today, so I might have to remove the early choice for it and save that for a post-contest update.

4 years ago
Pretty much done. All of it is finished except the Cathedral of Havor route, which I was going to cut out. But I might spend an hour or two putting a truncated version in before I do my final playtest runs.

4 years ago
Sounds promising.

4 years ago

Now published. The Book of Vanishing Tales