Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Book Idea.

4 years ago

This is just the first page from a 'book' I wrote, if your bored give it a read, I'm very open to criticism since my writing has always felt sort of amateur. Enjoy!

Chapter 1

I couldn’t see anything, I couldn’t feel either, I had no memory, I was just there, existing. Although I could feel something in the atmosphere around me, it felt like energy, as it began to reverberate through me, like an echo that spread veins. I’m unsure how long I was there for, just letting this energy course through me, filling me up, well I don’t know what was being filled up, until I was able to make out light. It was dim and almost… well, I couldn’t think of the word, I felt so out of place, but then I started to feel, it wasn’t right though, I knew where my body was but it didn’t feel like nerves, just awareness. I looked at my hand, and although still calm I was confused, my hand was white, in fact it didn’t have any flesh on it, I curled my dead fingers into a fist, and looked down at the rest of my body, my bones lay against the floor and yet I can feel it, still confused about what was going on, like where was I, why was I a… What are those bone things called again?

I pressed my hands into the stone floor to try to push myself up, and get my feet under me, I felt wobbly, and it was odd to try to stand without feeling anything, I could feel that energy in my legs, but it wasn’t nerves, it was like an essence, keeping my joints together. I took a few steps, almost stumbling to the ground, I looked around the musty room, It had old chiseled stone floors and walls, and a heavy wooden door in the corner. There was a table to the left of me with a lamp on it. I walked over and saw a big metal key, and a satchel, I threw the key into the satchel, and awkwardly put it around my shoulders. What to do now? I looked to the door, and slowly approached it, I put the side of my head up to it, even without ears I seemed to be able to hear, so I hoped for the best.

I heard nothing, so reaching out for the handle, I opened the door with a light tug, it groaned on its hinges and I would’ve flinched if I had facial features, when the dust was unsettled and drifted into the air. I peeked my head out the doorway, it led into two hallways, both leading into darkness, I quickly went back to grab the lantern, before continuing out into the hallway. The dim light had my shadow walking along the wall with me. I had turned right and was wandering for what seemed to be minutes until I came to two doors to my sides and what seemed like a large open room ahead of me. Removing the large key from my satchel, I tried the key on both the doors to no avail and moved onward to the open room. Why am I here? I have a strong desire to find something, but I don’t I know what it is? Confusion still rattled around in my hollow head, I dismissed it when I noticed something different, the energy in the air felt stronger, I felt closer to what I needed.

I looked around the large room, concluding that it was a crypt, stone tables had old urns on it and mass catacombs covered the walls. why would I be here if the other skeletons aren’t coming back? The hum of energy got stronger as I walked deeper into the room, my lamp lit some stairs ahead of me, deciding to venture that pulling hum of energy felt as if it was just past the stairs.

Book Idea.

4 years ago
First, you have a great vocabulary that gives the story an old school dungeons feeling. However, there is too much verbose so much that 70% of what you write doesn't add up anything to the story, verbose is okay in certain parts as dialogue or situations the reader need a very concrete description to know how to solve a puzzle or a maze. Here only makes flow really slow, however, the last paragraph is really promising and atmospheric so i think could be a good stuff if edited.

Book Idea.

4 years ago

Thanks so much! I'm currently trying to convert this into a choose your own adventure story, so that's good to know! I was also curious does the format for this site have to be in the "You, your, you did this/that" format? I'm just curious if I'm going to have to rewrite this from the ground up.

Book Idea.

4 years ago
Normally, the second and present tense are the most used for writers. But there are some in first too.

Book Idea.

4 years ago

Alrighty sweet! thanks for all the help again!

Book Idea.

4 years ago
Interesting premise. I don't usually comment on grammar for these things, but I feel the need to this time because it distracted me from the story. If I were you, I'd revisit the sentence structure. Take this section for example: I pressed my hands into the stone floor to try to push myself up, and get my feet under me, I felt wobbly, and it was odd to try to stand without feeling anything, I could feel that energy in my legs, but it wasn’t nerves, it was like an essence, keeping my joints together. I took a few steps, almost stumbling to the ground, I looked around the musty room, It had old chiseled stone floors and walls, and a heavy wooden door in the corner. It should be something like this: I pressed my hands into the stone floor to try to push myself up and get my feet under me. I felt wobbly, and it was odd to try to stand without feeling anything. I could feel that energy in my legs, but it wasn’t nerves; it was like an essence keeping my joints together. I took a few steps, almost stumbling to the ground. I looked around the musty room. It had old chiseled stone floors and walls and a heavy wooden door in the corner. I think I understand the tone you're going for. It flows sort of like a storyteller would tell a story. There are details added seemingly everywhere. The writing itself is fine. The overuse of commas is just distracting. You might find this article helpful.

Book Idea.

4 years ago

Perfect thanks for the help, I'm not the most planned writer which I'm still working on, but thanks again, I'll give that an article a look.

Book Idea.

4 years ago

Your atmosphere-building is excellent. I really like the way the protagonist reflects on their surroundings; they seem to be a deep thinker. I also like your premise. I'd be intrigued to read a story where the main character discovers that they are somehow dead. I agree with Mara regarding your well-developed vocabulary usage, as well. Many of your words really help to emphasize the mood of the scene: e.g. "Confusion still rattled around in my hollow head...", "...it began to reverberate through me, like an echo that spread[s through] veins."

A lot of your sentences are run-ons, though. This isn't a hard-to-fix problem; you just need to break them up into smaller segments (as Ninjapitka mentioned.) E.g.: Your first sentence contains four independent clauses linked with commas. Independent clauses need to be connected either with semicolons, dashes, commas + coordinating conjuntions, or periods. In the case of the first three options, you should refrain from having more than three clauses within one sentence.

Overall, it shows a lot of potential. 

Book Idea.

4 years ago
Mainstream, do you think maybe you could lend some of your excess commas to that Tolstoy guy? You noobs need to help each other out.