Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

The Weekly Review - Edition 43

4 years ago
The Weekly Review – Edition 43

FEATURING

Notable News!
Intriguing Interview: AzBaz!
Recommended Reads: Frameshift by AzBaz!
Who’s Who: Mizal, TharaApples, Fleshnblood_78, Reverencia and Sethaniel!

NOTABLE NEWS

In Newbie Central things remain zen-like in their stillness!
In the Lounge Mizal launches a discussion about how truly awesome Cricket is!
In the Parlour Room Avery_Moore’s Interesting Comments remains popular!
In the Creative Corner ArtsyGirl38 launches an interesting rhyming thread!
In the Writing Workshop Mizal considers the merits of the first CYS Cave of Time!
In the Reading Corner life remains peaceful!
In the Advanced Editor Forum LJacko wonders about background images!

INTRIGUING INTERVIEW: AZBAZ!

1: How did you first find this site?
I was a big reader as a kid, especially fantasy. I came across a Garth Nix short story anthology. ‘Down to Scum Quarter’, the only CYOA, stood out amid his usually darker work. It’s a hilarious spoof on the three musketeers, and the fact Nix wrote it at 19 inspired me at 15 to pick up a pen. I wrote 25 pages back to back before converting it to a google doc. Then I worked on it for two years before realizing there was probably an internet resource better suited for the format.

2: What made you want to join?
When I saw the potential for scripting, I lapped up every article and was hooked. That, and the fact writing became an obsessive creative outlet in the face of my science dominated A-level revision, got me to sign up.

3: What are your favorite aspects, members or stories on this site?
Although at one time I contributed lots of comments on stories, I still haven’t dipped into many higher rated stories. I have a lot of respect for Madglee and BZ though, because they’re some of the few people who combine script and writing to a high level. Aspects of the site I like are the involvement of some people in really trying to add to the community, like with weekly short stories or your weekly review, Will.

4: What are your least favorite aspects, members or stories on this site?
My least favorite stories are, uncontroversially, anything some moron deems publishable after a few hours laying down plotless, grammatically impotent crap. Least favorite members have to be any warden; I despise myself and all my lazy comrades, especially since my title as King of the Runts was snatched away by that disgustingly deserving usurper SindriV.
While in my earlier days on CYS I enjoyed a good lambasting, I do now feel sometimes members can be a little harsh to newcomers, although I see its role in warding off bad writers. I suppose that’s more my personality than anything.

5: What inspires your writing?
I’m naturally drawn to lots of creative past times, and not pursuing any of them for any length of time brings periods of obsessive writing. I also get some inspiration from dreams, which are important to me. I found while I’ve been at school/uni I get an uncontrollable burst of ideas and obsession with writing just before exams (which we have a lot of in the UK). It isn’t helpful for revision, but I love that feeling.

6: What writing plans do you have for the future?
I’d like to finish Robin and take the constructive criticism it received on board, as well as write in a morally good branch to the evil one I already have. I do, of course, have my main project, but I’ll get onto that. Other than that, I have a few ideas: a romance and a few fantasies. They’ll stay ideas for a while.

7: You now have one really interesting featured story, Frameshift, where did the inspiration to write this story come from?
It was for the hero contest, which stipulated the hero couldn’t be evil. I really like CYOAs where you can choose between good and evil, so I wanted to circumnavigate this a little. Combined with my general dislike of hero films (which I generally find cookie cutter and predictable), I came up with the hero burdened by their own shadow.
I’m glad you found it interesting; I hated writing almost all of Frameshift. I joined the contest for scripting practice for my main project, but scripted it horrendously inefficiently. This made writing and fixing bugs endlessly frustrating. Still, I am glad I pulled it all together and fixed it after the contest eventually.

8: You have hinted that you are working on your next major project, could we get any spoilers?
It’s true I have kept details of my main project to myself. I want it to be the greatest combination of scripting and writing this site has seen. What I will say is that it’s a very strange story with a pivotal choice that allows for a huge twist. It is stat driven, open world, contains original drawings, paintings and mapmaking, and has time built in so that different events can happen in the same place. It is supposed to be funny, but given the right choices is can become dark or serious very quickly. It incorporates the variable item system I wrote an article on and has a huge number of items, each with many uses. Parts will also involve a combat system similar to Dungeon Stompage. There will be lots of pages that are difficult to reach, including an opportunity to win all my points and commendations (If the mods allow it).

9: Any funny stories to relate?
My girlfriend’s housemates have revealed themselves this year to be class A bona fide cunts. They each manifest their own special flavor of narcissism, like an even more boring, selfish-centric version of the already washed out seven deadly sins cliché. While I usually rise above bona fide cunts, so purely cunty are these twats that I’ve lowered myself to the pettiness of lightening the load of their food and alcohol. I drink the cholesterol-lowering probiotics of one girl with familial hypercholesterolaemia. It gives me a special warm, fuzzy feeling knowing I’m mildly increasing her risk of cardiovascular disease later in life. I’ve toyed with the idea of shitting on someone’s bed.

10: Erm… ok. Finally, any words for new authors?
For the love of all that is good, if you like scripting then use the advanced editor and do not create a variable name in your story with on page script.

RECOMMENDED READS: Frameshift by AzBaz!
A Modern Adventure story with a Difficulty of 5, Length of 7 and Maturity Level of 7.

Frameshift is a highly original story with interesting use of font colours and links and an excellent use of original artwork throughout giving the story a nice personal touch. A very high level of both scripting and writing went into this story (I was particularly impressed how pictures can be links). The hero is interesting and compelling, the characters well drawn and the branching excellent, a fine example of the things that are possible when good writing and scripting meet!

WHO’S WHO: MIZAL, THARAAPPLES, FLESHNBLOOD_78, REVERENCIA AND SETHANIEL!

11: Mizal
Last Active: Currently Active
Top Stories: Agent of Order (Science Fiction) and Inseparable (Romance)
Notable For: It is hard to imagine this site without Mizal. Since the departure of most of the original moderators she has become such an integral part of the site that, like EndMaster, the site would clearly be a much worse place without her. Helping new site members and keeping old ones in line Mizal is a respected mod, author of nine story games (two of them featured) and owner of a host of trophies, points and commendations, reflections of the countless hours of work she has dedicated to the site.

12: TharaApples
Top Stories:
Notable For: The extremely likable TharaApples has been a wonderful presence on the site since she joined. Despite being one of the few top members to never publish a story-game (!) Thara’s contributions have come through excellently reviewing just about every story on the site (at one point entering a race with MinneKing over who could get the most commendations) and being metaphorical sunshine on the forums with her always interesting-to-read posts.

13: Fleshnblood_78
Last Active: 2019
Top Stories:
Notable For: One of the earliest and, during his time, an excellent Moderator Nate (as he prefers to be known) was the author of a number of stories, all of which have recently been taken down. Though no longer active Nate was an enthusiastic writer and positive forum presence who influenced a number of the older members on the site. His hard work can be measured in his vast trophy collection and perhaps one day he might return to the site again…

14: Reverencia
Top Stories:
Notable For: Ok, here is a little-known site member who prefers to keep to the shadows. Despite never writing a story game and rarely posting in the forums Reverencia is one of the few site members who read and rated just about every story game on the site as well as collecting a host of points from the daily point feature (when it existed). Though still lurking about Reverencia is one of those quiet site members who nevertheless are (or were) extremely active in helping new authors get feedback for their stories.

15: Sethaniel
Last Active: 2019
Top Stories:
Notable For: Ah, a controversial mention here. Seth, now widely derided as The Grifter Mod, fell from favor with the site for various dodgy activities but despite his controversial legacy during his lengthy tenure as a moderator he did write a number of excellent stories, provide a large amount of high quality feedback and was a positive influence on the site for a number of years. His stories are now gone and he is mostly derided due to his own poor decisions.

CONCLUDING CREDITS

Notable News: Mizal, Cricket, Avery_Moore, ArtsyGirl38 and LJacko.
Intriguing Interview: AzBaz.
Recommended Reads: AzBaz.
Who’s Who: Mizal, TharaApples, Fleshnblood_78, Reverencia and Sethaniel.

4 years ago
Have you considered being active enough to provide an actual summary of things going on? :^)

Who reviews the Review?

4 years ago
Maybe someone should get a rival Review going to take away his subscribers.

Who reviews the Review?

4 years ago
This is a joke thread, right? Because There is no WEEKLY anything and all his news are previous 2018. and we are at 2020.

Who reviews the Review?

4 years ago
You're right, they backdate to 2015 and I do the Review in runs of x amount of issues. This one I'll probably keep going to edition 45 or 50 because I don't have as much free time as I used to with impending marriage and work commitments :D I just post them from time to time when I can to contribute to the forum a bit and try to draw a little extra attention to promising members. :) It's a bit of a historical record for the site too, some of the earlier issues managed to score interviews with long-gone members :)

Who reviews the Review?

4 years ago
Ah, okay. Without context all sounded like you were High on LSD and thinking you were traveling to the past.

Who reviews the Review?

4 years ago
A second newsletter would actually create a perpetual content generating machine, because even in event of the post death of
the forumverse, they could just take turns reviewing each other, forever.

4 years ago
Anyway Will I believe what Ford was getting at was that something like, 'Cricket leaves the site for cruelly unfair IRL reasons, Ford creates tear-jerking tribute video in the Cricket Appreciation thread, thousands mourn and everyone is gay about friendship now!' would have been a more accurate description of "a thing going on" and if you had read the thread it would have been mentioned since it was a pretty major event and a bad time for most of the active members on the site. ArtsyGirl's thread was also two months old so it's okay to skip that one. Personally I'd have included something about the conclusion of the Valentine's Day Writing Jam thread along with a link for archive purposes for the CC mention since there wasn't a whole lot else going on there. And yes I guess I should be the one doing the rival newsletter, but at the same time that's a lot of committment and I feel like that's what minions should be for.

4 years ago
I Would do that, but my English is not good enough for that. So you will end up doing the edit so it won't help you. I hope you find a native for the job, because I really think that could be a great idea.

4 years ago
AzBaz is still around?

4 years ago
Just about- I’m focusing on writing rather than the forums at the moment because of a tight schedule but I’ll probably be more active soon.

4 years ago
So the Robin Hood remake is the main thing you're working on now?

Any new stories planned? Returning to old projects is hell, I'll admit it's actually kind of impressive to finish up something like the expanded Frameshift.

4 years ago
Nope, it's my main WIP that brought me here: I'm in one of my obsessive writing bursts. When I get a little tired of scripting that I think I will return to Robin probably this year, which I'm looking forward to an enjoyed a lot more than Frameshift (always a good sign). Yeah, Frameshift was a real struggle to finish scripting wise, especially because there were loads of bugs so I had to familiarise myself with script and variables I'd made ages ago and reverse engineer it all.

4 years ago

Extremely likable and a wonderful presence?

4 years ago
@Reverencia it is your long awaited moment in the spotlight, say something dammit.

4 years ago
it'd be Rev's 100th post.

4 years ago
Welcome back to life, Ford.

4 years ago

Wow, that totally went over my head that Ford was posting as Ford.  Nicely resurrected.

4 years ago
I also forgot I was posting as myself.

4 years ago
thanks you too