Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Slay the Spire

4 years ago
So I feel like I'm late to the party with this one, but I just started playing last night and I'm already addicted. I haven't gotten obsessed with a good roguelike in way too long. It scratches the same itch as Darkest Dungeon for me in a lot of ways and it seems really challenging, but slick and well balanced too for something that relies so much on randomness. And the art style owns, obviously. Even when half the point is being at the mercy of the RNG there's a lot of control and customization possible with the character builds and decks which I like, it feels like there's a lot of depth there and the randomness keeps you on your toes. Yesterday I was consistently getting killed on the second level, (The City?) at the final boss, even if it was a different boss, and I'm hoping to correct this embarassing state of affairs today. Weirdly I'm enjoying the lack of a plot so far, I've just been left to my own devices to piece together why everyone is in a weird bird cult and why an eldritch whale god is just sort of hanging out with me between lives and giving me cool things. It seems like a lot of you already have it (except End who hates card combat for some reason) but it's $10 in the digital tabletop bundle on Humble for the next couple of weeks and I've already gotten that amount of value out of it. Also with my hours being cut this is the laaaast game I'm gonna be buying for awhile so I'm glad I picked one with this much replayability. After this I'll just have to try and eke an existence out on my ginormous backlog of Steam sale stuff I've never even installed. It's hard, living in America.

Slay the Spire

4 years ago
The Silent is reeeediculous, I don't know if I can ever go back to Iron Clad now.

Slay the Spire

4 years ago

Played through a few games, finally ended up beating the first Ascension with the Defect after creating some sort of build that basically became nigh-immortal after the first three turns.  Here's the build for power cards (some of which were acquired via other power cards lol):

The melting green donut (and his buddy that died earlier in the fight) ended up getting some good hits in early on, until the block/lightning loop sphere started generating like 100+ block every single round.  This was especially disgusting when the attack came around that provides 3 attack per all block orbs channeled in the fight (which of course was a shit-ton). Getting to this point in the game, where you essentially break the fuck out of it, is routinely the most fun I get out of it. 

It's also worth noting that I chose the artifact after The City that provides you with an additional energy every turn, but prevents you from seeing the enemy's next moves, which nearly killed me several times.  I personally feel like Darkest Dungeon gets a little too punishing; the payoff on power never really came around when I was playing it.  It's nice to earn a kick-ass build and feel like you deserve it.

Slay the Spire

4 years ago
I only just unlocked The Defect and I know I'm only scratching the surface of this game so far, but I'm loving The Silent. I love playing sneaky and fast deflect everything characters and they really captured the essence here even with turn based combat. Poison is such a dick move I hate in games when it's used against me, but being the one dishing it out is great. And I can just get so many rapid free attacks out of even the basic three points to paper cut everyone to death.

I did a run through the daily challenge that let me me use her with access to the higher level cards and so it's nice to see she gets even more untouchable.

Well, until I die because I suck. But I'm slowly getting a handle on this stuff.

That's a good point about the key difference in the atmosphere. Darkest Dungeon was about barely scraping by against an overwhelming force of evil, Slay the Spire seems to be more about getting gud and clowning its minions like a perfect motherfucker.

Slay the Spire

4 years ago
Chef is there some reason you scratched out the name of your save at the top there? It's not your Steam account, it's one you pick so...how embarassing was it?

Slay the Spire

4 years ago

It was my real name, actually. Or at least my first name.

Slay the Spire

4 years ago
I feel like 'how embarassing was it?' might still apply here.

Slay the Spire

4 years ago

Changed it to save myself the trouble/embarrassment.  Got the win on ascension 2 with an even more ridiculous build (notice the 8 "Creative AI's" which all add power cards into my hand at the start of my turn).  Was fucking around with some minions trying to see how high I could get the defense counter, when I accidentally spawned a ton of electric orbs and killed them.

The final boss for this run was called "Time Eater" and was easily the hardest of the final bosses I've encountered.  His gimmick is really fucking annoying.

Slay the Spire

4 years ago
Huh. You see, there was no reason to cover that up in the first place. No one would've ever believed that was a real name. In other news, I FINALLY beat the Collector. With 10 hitpoints to spare. Piling up on block and poison cards seems to be working out; I start each encounter with an upgraded one that gives seven poison and two weakness to ALL enemies, and I've got another card that doubles poison counters. Anyway, feels great, now I can move on with my life and go actually write for a bit.

Slay the Spire

4 years ago
Nifty! I might check it out, never would have known about it otherwise, thanks~

Slay the Spire

4 years ago
The Watcher is pretty grand but I haven't won with her yet.

I'm struggling with the silent for some reason.

Slay the Spire

4 years ago
Just want to say, I hate this guy so much. Seems to always be the first thing I encounter in The City and it was nbd with The Iron Clad but with a newish Silent girl that's a fat load of defense to get through and several turns before I can even scratch him.

Slay the Spire

4 years ago
Yeah don't overload on defense. Find a happy medium. You haven't seen bullshit that region 3 fuckers give out.

Slay the Spire

4 years ago

Just sayin, if you play as the Defect, he's got a move called Melt or whatever that removes all opponent block and does ten damage on top of that. Lol

Slay the Spire

4 years ago
The Watcher can retain cards every turn.