Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Briar's Friendly Forest Critters

3 years ago

While I originally stole the name of Briar Rose off a character from the Fable franchise, I've ended up turning out more like the Briar Rose from Sleeping Beauty, with my own little posse of animal friends. ^_^

Incase you missed him from the Pink Whale thread, here is my little friend Hedly the Hedgehog. ^_^

We found him underneath our outdoor bench. He used to live in our back garden but then we moved house and had to say goodbye... But now, I've made a new friend! Meet Pidgey the pigeon! ^_^

We found him on the edge of the road under a bridge. He's a fledgling that can't quite fly yet. His nest was too high to put him back and the area was too dangerous to leave him on the ground, so we took him home with us! He's super friendly and loves being stroked. ^_^

3 years ago
Awww, cute.

3 years ago

He really is! My boyfriend's dad's friend raises pigeons, and he says that Pidgey looks nice and healthy and should be ready to fly in about a week, so we're going to take care of him until then. ^_^

3 years ago
Ooh, what does he raise the pigeons for? I hope Pidgey isn't making too much of a mess.

3 years ago

They're racing pigeons! (Would've given him Pidgey to look after, but he lives in Turkey and is only here on holiday.) And Pidgey is shitting everywhere, but we gave him a little wicker basket lined with newspaper to sleep in, so at least most of the mess is confined to that :p

3 years ago
Racing pigeons? I didn't even know that was a thing. That sounds really cool. F. Hopefully you aren't finding his waste in weird places a year from now.

3 years ago

Yeah, they take them over to other countries and then race them to see who can make it home the fastest. ^_^

3 years ago
Oh nice, he looks like such a sweet bird. Young pigeons on the ground aren't necessarily always in need of rescue, like a lot of birds they spend a few days in the area being watched by their parents after they leave the nest but before they can fly. But the edge of a road is not a great place to be, so in the case of a dangerous environment like that it sounds like you did the right thing. Pigeons actually make great pets, I used to know someone that raised them. They're extremely chill birds and much smarter than they look. IIRC they're one of only a handful of animals that can recognize themselves in a mirror, and they can memorize the alphabet and recognize written words. I guess all that reading from the phonebook they used to do when delivering messages paid off...

3 years ago

Yeah, we made the same mistake with a fledgling magpie once. Couldn't fly, took him home, googled it, realized there was absolutely nothing wrong with him and took him straight back to the park. :p

3 years ago
I used to kidnap baby cardinals all the time. >.>

3 years ago

Naughty Miz! >.<

3 years ago

Oh, I forgot to say, one thing that's super cute is that he seems to love it when we play youtube videos of pigeons cooing. ^_^

3 years ago

I trust Hedley implicitly. He seems like he could help me escape from a city.

3 years ago

He seems like the kind of hedgehog you can really live and learn from.

3 years ago

doesn't really look like a pidgey to me

3 years ago

Pidgey flew away already! Super proud... But I miss him. :'(

3 years ago
That was way quicker than a week. Did you at least have time to show him how to do a barrel roll so the next generation will consist of barrel rolling pigeons?

3 years ago

Yeah, I am pretty concerned about him. I mean, we took him out into the garden so he could practice flying, and for ages he barely managed to get from the table to the chair next to it... Then all of a sudden, he managed to get on the roof... Then to the neighbour's roof... And I think he was up there for a few hours. Not sure where he went from there but I wish I'd waited until he was a little older before I took him outside. I just assumed he wouldn't be able to get very far.

3 years ago
Well, if he can get to multiple roofs I'm sure he'll be okay. He'll just have to take the scenic route for the next little while until he regains all his strength lol.

3 years ago

Yeah, I'm sure he'll be okay... I just wish I hadn't ordered all those pigeon bands now. I wanted to get Pidgey a pigeon band, so I'd be able to recognise him if he came back... But apparently, you can't buy individual pigeon bands. You have to by them in bulk... So... Can anyone think of a use for 100 pigeon bands, now that I don't have any pigeons?

3 years ago
@AestheticLlama probably knows a guy that can help you out with your... new found need of pigeons.

3 years ago

3 years ago
Ngl I actually chuckled.

3 years ago

... What the actual fuckitty fuck? >.<

3 years ago
Well don't keep us hanging. Did it help?

3 years ago

Of course! ^_^

3 years ago
Be free! He looks so noble and majestic bidding you goodbye at that angle.

3 years ago

Super cute! :]

3 years ago

Good news! I saw Pidgey on the neighbour's roof again today, and there was another pigeon who looked like she was feeding him. I looked it up and apparently it's quite common for adult pigeons to adopt orphan babies... Pidgey has a new Mummy! ^_^

3 years ago

The cuteness factor in this thread raised from 100,000 to a billion. 

3 years ago

They're not there right now, but if I see them again, I'll take a picture. ^_^

3 years ago

A new friend has come to visit our garden. We will leave some peanuts out for him in the hopes that he comes back. Our dog was not impressed, but I like him! I shall call him Nutsy. (Also there was a new hedgehog in the garden yesterday, but it was too dark for me to take a pic. I love our new house!) ^_^

3 years ago

Awww, so precious! Nutsy's adorable. :]

3 years ago
Yes more hedgehogs please, I'm sorry but we've all seem squirrels and pigeons, you need capitalize on literally the only interesting wildlife the UK has.

3 years ago
HEDGEHOG

3 years ago

And now, for another tale of Briar's friendly forest critters.

Yesterday morning, my boyfriend saw a robin outside the door to the back garden, weirdly close to the house. He thought maybe it was begging for food, so he got some seeds to take to the little guy. Turns out though, the robin wasn't after food. there was an adorable little fledgling robin, just learning how to fly, who had somehow gotten himself stuck between the house and the little outdoor step. So my boyfriend jiggled the step away, scooped up the little guy and took him over the the bird table, where he provided the tiny robin with more seeds than his little heart could desire.

Alas, sweet readers, but this story has a sad ending.

The little fledgling robin decided to try out flying again and made a beeline for the house. (Our theory is that he saw my boyfriend through the window and wanted to thank him for rescuing him and giving him food.) But tragically, it wasn't meant to be. The little flegeling robin flew straight into the window, crashed to the floor and perished shortly after. A moment of silence please, for our tiny fallen friend. :'(

3 years ago
That's... weird.

3 years ago

And sad. :'(

3 years ago

Here's a fun new addition to Briar's garden... A couple of parakeets! ^_^

Don't usually get them in England, but a few of them escaped from somewhere a few years ago and then they just bred like crazy, so now they're everywhere in my local area. Very pretty. ^_^

3 years ago
Surprised they managed to survive, escaped ones pretty much never do, and that's not the climate for them at all.

Uhh, my cat brought me a live gopher the other day, but it was not in a state to be shown in the wholesome forest critter thread.

3 years ago

OMG, poor little thing! Did it survive?

3 years ago
Hmmm

....yes. >.>

3 years ago

I am going to assume that you nursed it back to health and are currently keeping it as a pet. ^_^

3 years ago
Exactly! How'd you guess??

I was pretty displeased at the cat as I'd been in the middle of making dinner when suddenly I had had to deal with a messed up rodent on the porch. Added to that the noise from the tiny life saving bandages I keep in the nightstand made her run irretrievably far back into the kitchen cabinet knocking shit over and upset the dogs.

To be fair, not too many people go 'aww poor thing' in regards to gophers, but I don't have a garden to worry about and they are pretty cute and it was just not a fun situation. Cats are cuter though which is why we put up with them being such sadistic little sociopaths.

But nevermind all that, and hey look, here's some deer!

3 years ago

Well, we don't have gophers in the U.K. I guess it's easy to find animals cute when you don't actually have to deal with all the shit they cause. I wonder how cute rural Indian villagers would find a wild tiger. 

And awhhh! Pretty deer! ^_^

2 years ago

New hedgehog friend! My doggie was barking like mad last night and when we went to see why, she had this poor little guy terrified, all curled up in a ball in the middle of our garden. She had no idea what to do with it and was just kind of tapping it with her paw like, "What's this thing? ... Ouch! ... But what is it?... Ouch! ... Is it food? ... Ouch! ... Poking this thing hurts... Ouch! I should really stop... ... ... Ouch!" So we took the naughty doggy in and then just kind of chilled with the terrified hedgehog and took pictures of it until it finally worked up the courage to uncurl itself and scamper away... I shall call him Mr Snuffles. ^_^

2 years ago
I cannot get over the fact you guys just get random ass hedgehogs blundering around the yard the way other people get raccoons or possums.

2 years ago

Only hedgehogs don't get into anything, or cause any trouble and are basically just there to be adorable. ^_^

2 years ago
Yeah, they eat scorpions and other bugs. God how I wish they were here right now.

2 years ago

Well, we don't exactly have scorpions, but at least they keep our lawns slug free. ^_^

... Also, is it weird that I'm kind of jealous that you guys get racoons? I mean, I know they're a pain in the ass and all, but they just look so cute! ^_^

2 years ago
If you go over to Germany you can find some. They got deliberately introduced there by a Nazi, and proceeded to wage guerilla warfare on the rest of the wildlife like true patriots.

I kinda hate them though, they're cute and smart but super destructive to actually have around you. They do very not good things to chickens for fun and will go after kittens if they can in addition to other usual nuisance reasons. They can also literally kill horses by getting into a barn and shitting and pissing all over the hay.

2 years ago

Okay, maybe not so jealous now. Was unaware that racoons were chicken rapists.

2 years ago
Well it's really not that. I didn't want to into detail here in your happy place, but it's more that people tend to keep newly acquired chickens, or pet ones for their kids in those plastic dog crates in their garage or wherever, and it's not uncommon that they come out in the morning to find the raccoon has just reached in and the chicken has been removed through the wire door in pieces. (Same can happen in any enclosure only covered by chicken wire, which despite it's name is really not good for keeping chickens safe in because the gaps are large enough that raccoons or even hawks can mess them up if they're too close to it.)

The raccoons really don't seem interested in eating them or anything, they just are playful lil guys like that.

2 years ago

Wow, what little cunts. Yeah, our wildlife is much nicer. I mean a fox will rip a coop of chickens to shreds, but at least it's more difficult for the fox to get to them.

2 years ago
I mean TO BE FAIR, cats are equally sociopathic little monsters to a lot of other animals and we just never hold it against them because...omg KITTY!! ^_^

2 years ago

It's a kitty burrito! ^_^

2 years ago

2 years ago

Lol. Yeah, very true. One of my cats used to disappear for days on end, then suddenly return looking extremely well fed and happy. Also it would often turn it's nose up at it's cat food like, "Bitch, you really think I'm gonna eat Whiskas now? My other family be feeding me Sheba." :p

2 years ago

I'd love to say the same thing for the ones in my garden, but they come to steal and eat my ducks eggs. And now I don't get my omelet every morning. >:[

Otherwise they are the cutest things alive (after my ducks of course).

2 years ago

You fucking have pet ducks? O.O

2 years ago

I do ! They have plenty of space in our garden to take a stroll :)

They spend their days outside, and don't leave the garden. But sometimes they get to our door to demand more food (we don't know how since we placed fences, and this duck species can't fly).

MyDcuks_2

MyDucks_1

MyDucks_3

2 years ago
Hey just a heads up that if you're uploading pictures to the site and posting them using the rich text editor (the ugly white box with the cluttered buttons that we all despise), you need to go in and remove the float;left or float;right style that the RTE adds.

It's an annoying bug I don't think we can do anything about because the RTE is a plug in from elsewhere.

Ideally just upload them to imgur and use HTML.

But those are cute and slightly weird looking ducks, are they any specific breed? And that's a beautiful yard you've got there.

The only people I knew who kept ducks got them as a "gift" to beautify their pond, and eventually had to get rid of them as they all decided their one goal in life was to walk up to the house and shit on the patio, forever.

2 years ago

Roger that for the next time :)

My ducks are "Indian Runner". It's a breed that can't fly and is well recognizable for their straight posture. We got them after our cat we had for 10 years unfortunately passed away. We didn't want to replace him with another cat, yet the garden felt empty. So we got those two female ducks, from a breed known to be ok living in a garden. They also eat snails and slugs, which is useful for our vegetables since we don't use chemicals.

2 years ago

We don't have any ducks, but there is a pond really close to where I live with beautiful geese. The geese can be really mean though. One time my friend and I were hanging out by the pond when he got too close to the goose and it started chasing him! It was pretty funny. 

2 years ago

It's no coincidence that they made a game about a goose being a dick.

2 years ago
It is indeed their one character trait.

Untitled Goose Game is just so charming though.

2 years ago

Can't agree more on that

2 years ago

OMG, I love them so much!!! I especially love the fact that in the first picture they're doing the exact same pose as the ducks on the sign behind them. :p

2 years ago

It's my favourite picture of them, representing the duo perfectly

2 years ago

We get squirrels. Evil, evil squirrels who keep messing up the bird feeder. >:[

2 years ago

But they're hungry! <3

2 years ago

I know, but they keep scaring away the birds. :[

2 years ago
Your birds have been around since the dinosaurs, now it is the time for the mammals to reign.

2 years ago

You're right. It's time. I'll go get my llama herd. 

2 years ago

Also forgot to mention that we have red squirrels. They're pretty awesome. ^_^

2 years ago
@AestheticLlama

Apparently they do sell squirrel proof feeders...

....which rarely work. The squirrels have become too evolved and extreme measures are needed.

Either that or the solution is to try your hardest, then give up and pay tribute.

2 years ago

Was looking into other British animals that you don't get in America. Do you guys really not get robins?

2 years ago

The funny thing is until I looked it up, I didn't realize we didn't have hedgehogs. I just figured I'd never seen one in the wild running around, since I know I've seen them in zoos.

I'm pretty sure I've seen robins. Though there's probably different versions of them.

2 years ago
We have robins. Unless we're calling some other bird robins, I see them every year.

2 years ago

If that's not a robin, it's close enough.

2 years ago

These are American Robins:

Named after European Robins because of the distinctive red chest, but not actually related to European Robins. They're actually a member of the Thrush family.

And this is a European Robin:

A lot tinier than the American Robin, about the size of a Sparrow. You may remember them from pretty much every single Christmas Card your Granny's ever sent you.

2 years ago

... Should probably add that I think we have a robin nest in our hedge. ^_^

2 years ago
Aw he's cute.

2 years ago

It's even cuter when it bathes in a gutter and dive in like in a pool.

2 years ago
Weird, never got THAT on a Christmas card.

2 years ago

You're missing something....

birds take a bath

2 years ago

Also, apprently, Americans don't get blue tits, which is a shame because I think they're the cutest birds. ^_^

2 years ago
I get a lot of sparrows, cardinals, Robins and a family of blue jays that always visits every year. Used to get yellow finches but they've disappeared the last couple of years and have been replaced by crows and crackles likely due to all of the development nearby.

2 years ago

I'd say the coolest birds we get in our garden are the parakeets. Though my boyfriend has seen a bird of prey in the garden eating a pigeon, but he wasn't sure what kind. Bigger than a kestrel, so probably either a Sparrowhawk or a Peregrine Falcon. Really hope I see it because birds of prey are my favourite.

Also there's this weird, super colourful bird that I've seen a few times but have absolutely no idea what it is. It always flies off before I can get a picture. >.<

2 years ago

We have tits of every size and color

2 years ago

Who exactly, besides Smurfette, has blue tits?

2 years ago

I'll get back to you on that. 

2 years ago
I once had to go out and break up a pair of what looked like otters fighting on the front garden.
No hedgehogs in mine but have caught a water vole in a humane rat trap before.

2 years ago
Otters? What the heck, where do you live?

We have nutrias here which look sort of similar too, not really sure how many varieties of aquatic rodents there are.

2 years ago
I'm in Wales, I knew there are some in our county but didn't know the river behind us had any. I didn't get a great look at them as it was dark and they were rolling around but they looked too long to be cats and too big to be polecats. So I'm guessing otters. Never seen them since though.

Just Googled nutrias aww CUTE!

2 years ago

My biology teacher wrote a whole book about them. While cute, they're an invasive species with pretty severe environmental consequences.

2 years ago
That's a shame. Looking them up turns out the UK had a population of them when some escaped from fur farms, but they were trapped and hunted to get rid of them.

2 years ago

Has anyone made a drawing of Avery surrounded by the animals listed on the thread? Because if not, then I could do that. 

2 years ago

A sith lord saying "DO IT"

2 years ago

2 years ago

... I should mention that I also have a little mouse who lives in my shed. ^_^

2 years ago

At this rate, it will end up looking like this....

Terminator surrounded by animals

2 years ago

Quick update to let everyone know that I will actually try and attempt this.

2 years ago
Commended by TharaApples on 5/14/2021 9:11:11 PM

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand done! Any thoughts?

2 years ago
Who are you and what have you done with AL?

2 years ago

I shall never expose myself!

-signed, A Llama

2 years ago
You're definitely improving. I'm a little worried for Briar though; that bird is wearing not one but two ankle monitor bracelets! What kind of master criminal is perched atop her head and what are its motives?

2 years ago
Aw, there's a hedgehog and everything :)

one year ago
OMG, how the fuck did I miss this? I LOVE IT! Must make new profile pic immediately! ^_^

one year ago

Happy Easter everyone! New update to my friendly forest critter saga. My boyfriend found an injured hedgehog by the side of the road. We think he has something wrong with his back leg, so he took him home to care for him until the vets are open. We have named him Sonichu. ^_^

Did some research on sick/injured hedgehogs and apparently they're very susceptible to hypothermia, so we gave him a hot water bottle and wrapped him up in a blankie to keep warm. Going to take him out for a little wander this evening to check if it is his backleg that's the problem, or if it's something else. Will keep you guys updated!

one year ago

... And he died. Now I'm sad :'(

one year ago

F

Well, at least his last moments were in a more comfortable and warmer setting.

one year ago

True, and if you find hedgehogs out in the daylight, it's generally safe to assume they're very ill, so there's probably nothing more we could have done. :(

one year ago

On a lighter note, Mr Snuffles has come out of hibernation recently and is doing great! We have bought him a little hedgehog house where we leave him food and water, and while he doesn't actually live there, he goes there for his dinner every night, so I guess it'd be more accurate to call it a hedgehog restaurant. Here he is! ^_^

one year ago

I have a new friend. Her name is Spearow!

Our mean old dog caught her in the garden. We think she's probably a fledgling as she can fly, but not very far. She was hopping about, right next to our dog, not scared at all, and the dog just went for her. Luckily my boyfriend managed to rescue her. No bleeding or serious damage that we can see. Just a bit confused and disorientated. There's something weird going on with her beak where one side of the beak crosses over the other. My boyfriend thinks the dog may have done some damage to her jaw, but I looked it up, and apparently there's something called cross-beak, which is quite commonly found in chickens. Not sure if other birds can get it, but that's certainly what it looks like to me.

Anyways, not really sure what to do with her. Doesn't seem to be anything seriously wrong with her other than that she's in shock. We did try to let her go in the garden, but since she can't fly very far, we figured it'd be best to keep her in the cabin until the dog goes back inside, since we don't want the dog to get at her again. Will keep you updated. ^_^

one year ago

... And, she also died. Apparently I am not very good at taking care of animals :'(

one year ago

You know I was actually going to post after your first post about the bird and saying "Let's hope this goes better than last time." Just as well as I didn't.

Well once again at least she was in a comfortable setting before going to that great aviary beyond.

one year ago

You gave them more care than most would even bother. I think they were grateful for it at the end.

one year ago

Figured it was the least we could do since our dog nearly ate her. :p

one year ago

On a more positive note than my last couple of posts, me and Mr Snuffles are bestest buddies now. He waddles right up to me and eats food out of my hand. ^_^

one year ago

Your hand was so exactly still till the end, I thought this was a camera setup to see who's been stealing food from you while you're sleeping

one year ago

Finally caught the thieving bastard! ^_^

one year ago
"I'm innocent your honor."

one year ago

Good news! The best of news! Mr Snuffles is in fact a Mrs Snuffles and has produced a Mini Snuffles. Look how tiny! ^_^

one year ago

Well, you can never tell until they're popping out miniature versions of themselves. 

one year ago

Aww kitty

one year ago

Pointy kitty. ^_^

10 months ago

Bloody hell, the amount of injured animals me and my boyfriend bring home, you'd think we were wondering around the neighborhood with a net and a baseball bat looking for unsuspecting critters to knock out, just so we had an excuse to bring them home.

Anyway, our latest friend is a little pussy cat. We found him wondering around down our street with a really bad limp (we think his leg might be broken.) Anyway, he was meowing really loud and hobbled over to us, wanting to be petted. He didn't have a collar, so we knocked on all the nearby doors but nobody owned the cat or knew who the cat belonged to, so we took him home and put up posters all around the area and posted on local lost pet groups on facebook. We think he may have been lost for awhile because he is quite thin and was very, very happy to be fed. Unfortunately all the vets were closed, so we're going to take him in the morning if the owners haven't contacted us by then.

He is probably the friendliest kitty I have ever met. He just wants to be cuddled and petted all the time. Was unable to do much this evening because kitty was on my lap and he was purring so happily, I just couldn't bring myself to move. We love him and have named him Limpy.

10 months ago

I really hope this goes better than the last few times...

10 months ago

If he dies, me cries. :'(

10 months ago

We have taken Limpy to the vet. Going to keep in touch to see how he's doing.

10 months ago

Happy news! The vets have found a new owner for Limpy. Her leg may need to be amputated, but her new owner is someone who has experience with injured animals and can provide them with the extra care they need. Her new name is Wobbles. ^_^

10 months ago

So just a maiming this time. Getting better!

10 months ago

Yep! Hopefully one day we'll be able to save an animal with all of it's limbs intact. ^_^

10 months ago

That's great to hear.

5 months ago

He came from Louisiana and hung out on my porch awhile and then left without dying anywhere I'd be aware of it. I have successfully beat the odds for this thread.