Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago
Everyone adds one sentence, and then lets others take a turn. (Not gonna define a strict number, just don't be greedy and try to take over the whole thing...I have observed that the people who post in these the most often tend to have the least of interest to say.)

Anyway, I know you've seen these on other forums, I shouldn't have to explain how it works. It's usually a very inane activity that leaves you wondering why anyone even bothered, but CYS has done this at least once in the misty past, and my God what a shitshow.

I'm sure we can do better now. And if not, this was a terrible idea I'm going to blame on attempting to life hack with energy drinks the past week. It's definitely doing things to my mind.

Just keep it at least sort of consistent and keep lol random humor and le edge to a minimum. Oh and one more thing. I want you all to number your posts in the subject line. Line one hundred will be the end of the story, assuming we get that far. If you fail at this simple freaking instruction, I will delete your post. In the case of simultaneous sentences, it goes to whoever posted first.

I'll start below.

#1 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago
Hakkan held the flickering light aloft, and began the perilous descent.

#2 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago
He had always known this journey would have to be made, but he hadn't expected it would be required so early.

#3 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

Hearing the voices growing louder, he quickened his pace even as his bloodied feet slipped on the rough stone of the ground.  

#4 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

He thought he must be getting close when he met a rocky wall blocking his path.

#5 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago
"I was but a child then, you won't stop me so easily this time," he muttered hoarsely, running searching hands across the wall for the gap he remembered from fourteen years ago.

#6 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

He finds the gap, pushing through, to then fall into a large river.

#7 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

The torch did not snuff out, as it would have were this a normal river; instead, the flame burned brighter and the stick gently tugged him, guiding his way forward through the River of Torn Souls.

#8 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

Following the pull of the torch with trepidation, he glanced down at the lost souls drifting aimlessly and whispered, "This time I'll keep my promise, Esra."

#9 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago
The River rose to far above, blotting out the ceiling with sweet promises of a false life, other opened paths if only he did the one thing it demanded.

#10 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

As he looked back at the river behind him, he was troubled by the enemy's men drawing ever closer to him.

#11 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago
Deep he dived, to places they could not follow without being changed by the River's dark currents of possibility as he had once been.

#12 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

He allowed the currents to pull him to the depths of the River, and no longer in immediate danger, he looked around at his surroundings for the first time.

#13 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago
He was in a large familiar library, lined with row upon row of old bookshelves, each tome secured to its shelf by a thin silver chain -- one of which he had selected before, but it had turned out to be the wrong one.

#14 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago
"Only one choice, better be something that makes the River happy this time," he muttered to himself, scanning the countless volumes, their shelves stretched out beyond the edges of human vision.

#15 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago
And there it stood: a singular tome amongst countless others, one that contained his name, Hakkan, drawn in dried blood; he had paid dearly to rescind that sacrifice, a price he wasn't willing to pay any longer.

#16 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

So he reached. . .and took the book beside that tome, some children's fairytale about eggs that fell from high places.

#17 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

He drew his ethereal knife, the Oathbreaker, and slipped the edge of the blade between the links of the silver chain, but was interrupted as a shower of tiny stones rained down from the ceiling.

#18 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago
The weary man waits for his shattered apparel to dry, "Damn, my ill fate! I should have been in the city of the lost tower by now. I have a blood debt to pay."

#19 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

Refusing to second guess himself any longer, Hakkan freed and offered the book of nursery rhymes to the river, trusting in the mix of innocence, darkness, and absurdity to appease the torn souls within it.

#20 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago
A sudden flash of light, and a child's realm of inner fantasy unfolded before him, towers of elfin crystal and forests of speaking animals awaiting the bloody footsteps of their destroyer.

#21 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

Taking in the new, unfamiliar sights, he saw a familiar face beside him.

#22 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago
"I'm sorry, Valerie," Hakkan grieved to the face he would never let go, a face ever younger with the passing of time, blessed with eternal innocence whereas his grew only darker and more sunken. "Why did it have to be you, my sweet dear Valerie; why did dad choose his daughter over his son?"

#23 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

Valerie gasped, and almost as if she was in a trance, she feverishly muttered, "He's here now, Hakkan, don't turn around."

#24 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago
"What?" Hakkan asked, turning around.

#24 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

There he stood: Humpty Dumpty glared at Hakkan with yolk oozing out of the crack on the side of his head.

#25 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

His eyes widened in horror at the terrible sight, "It wasn't my fault!" he pleaded with the hateful egg. "I tried to save you Humpty, you know I did! I called for all my father's horses and all of his men... But they couldn't... They couldn't..." his words trailed off as the egg drew closer, nothing but vengeful malice in his eyes.

#26 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago
Then, suddenly angry at himself, he shook the delusion loose and reached for a large rock, voice low and menacing, "No more of your tricks...you take a different form in this book but I still recognize you, and I still remember how to deal with your kind, dreamleech."

#28 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago
The contents of the flask Hakkan carried were a little cold, but they would do; coffee was a wondrous substance.

#29 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

Before doing anything else, Hakkan turned back to see Valerie, sure she'd know what to do; however he saw nothing but an ominous purple mist.

#30 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

Valerie died fourteen years ago, when Hakkan sacrificed her to the river of lost souls in his quest for power; unfortunately, choosing the wrong book bound him to be Lich King's servant rather than his master.

#31 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago
Coffee sharpened the mind and prepared it to face the darkest horrors in the cosmos, and so Hakkan wasted no more time in chugging the flask, feeling the dream vibrate around him as he assumed control.

#32 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago
And so the mist and dream became one, ready to hurl the grandest challenges at The One Who Rescinded, for the books were sacred and permanent; they ruled and fueled this pocket of possibility, were the one constant in the River of Change, all of which allowed them to hold onto their wicked wrath and hurl it at any who defied them.

#33 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

With the rush of strength humming in his veins, Hakkan found the power to pull forth a shield, cast of iron and stone, from the air itself.

#34 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

Taking a deep breath, Hakkan closed his eyes and propelled himself forward, through various lands from common children's fairytales and legends, until he reached the psyche of the book containing the city of the lost tower--where the lynch king waited for him atop the tower standing in the center of the city of nightmares.

#35 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

"Lol fag," the Lich King says.

#36 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

Hakkan threw his shield at the Lich King, striking him in the face.

#37 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

The Lich King is slain and the nightmare ends, so Hakkan thought. 

#38 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago
"I never actually climbed the tower...I fell for the dream's simplest trick," he realized after a moment, the tower once again forming from purple mist before him and leaving him back where he started.

#39 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

"Lol fag," the dream taunts Hakkan.

#40 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago
"I am a putz and will never get out of this schizophrenic hallucination," Hakkan mumbled to himself, wishing he had not decided to stop taking his meds...

#41 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago
Lucidity returning, he began to sprint up the stairs of the tower, realizing the moments of madness and intrusive thoughts meant only one thing; the dream was becoming unstable, and he must finish his task before it ended.

#42 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

The Lich King, made of nightmares and failed dreams, is still waiting for him to arrive.

#43 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago
Hakkan dashed towards this self-proclaimed king, eyes wide in fear of the past, knowing the lich not only to be his challenge made undead flesh but also his one chance at redemption and so he roared out all his frustration at past distractions, for he knew he had to slay this foe would he have any chance at seeing his sister once again, and as he envisioned her blue eyes, his heart filled with pride, and his arm became emboldened, ready to strike the first decisive blow as his father had done so many years ago.

#44 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

However, the Lich King was prepared for his arrival; the king simply laughed at Hakkan's attempts to damage him as he prepared to finish him off, just as he had done to the many others who were foolish enough to challenge him.

#45 - Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

But when the Lich King swung his sword towards his head, Hakkan blocked the blade with his shield; the shield shattered from the force of the attack, but our hero was left unharmed.

Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago
Damn, that's deep haha!

Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago
There's a whole archive at qwantz.com

He started these in 2003 and I only just discovered he's *still* doing them. The gimmick is it's always that same picture with new dialogue written in. Seems fond of philosophical rambling though.

Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

Another word for a writing desk is a davenport... What rhymes with daven? ... Riddle solved. ^_^

Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago
I thought a davenport was a couch. So how is a raven like a...you know what, let's just stop.

Let's Make a Story Redux

3 years ago

Because Edgar Allan Poe wrote on both. ^_^