Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Trigger warnings?

3 years ago

I didn't see anything in the rules and they seem to be absent from the several stories I've checked. Are they really not required here? That would be refreshing.

Trigger warnings?

3 years ago

No trigger warnings. There's a maturity system, where you give a subjective 1-7 score of how inappropriate your game is for children, but that's about it. 

Trigger warnings?

3 years ago
I'm really going to have to try and get my girlfriend to join the site, she writes more than I do and I'm sure will appreciate that unlike the last writing club she was in, she won't get lectured for not including warnings about rape references in a story about the RAPE of Nanking.

Trigger warnings?

3 years ago
We have a story about Nanking featured in the edutainment category: http://chooseyourstory.com/Story/Three_Hundred_Thousand_Tears.aspx

Maybe your gf could dethrone it, if hers can be converted to CYOA style. (The author was pretty young so it's a little sloppy.)
Interestingly, that one does have trigger warnings and originally had a much longer and cringier apology to any Japanese she might offend, including those who are the equivalent of holocaust deniers.

So it's really all up to the author. Although it may be a good idea to include a warning for the bigger things like rape or suicide if it's not obvious going in, but as far as site policy, just crank up the maturity rating for anything you're unsure about and you'll be good.

But yeah lol I've seen writing servers on discord where absolutely nothing can be posted without a mile long list of warnings. Including for things like 'descriptions of food' and things that might make someone imagine something that might trigger trypophobia. Because you're in charge of people's thoughts and it's just plain irresponsible of any writer to make readers visualize a thing or feel an emotion.

Trigger warnings?

3 years ago
Allergy Warning: This story was written in a factory that processes nuts.

Trigger warnings?

3 years ago
The people complaining are nuts, no wonder there mad.

Trigger warnings?

3 years ago

As an added bonus, you can put trigger warnings on a story and people will read it and get offended anyway.

Trigger warnings?

3 years ago
It was a mod that lectured about the rape warning, but there was another girl that complained because she wasn't Chinese it "wasn't her story to tell", which was even stupider. History belongs to everyone.

Trigger warnings?

3 years ago

"wasn't her story to tell"

Oh geez, that old chestnut. That one always induces an eyeroll.

I never understand when you get people bitching about trigger warnings.

It's like I did the stupid warnings to spare your fee fees, and NOW you're bitching that I'm letting you know that the content within might offend your fee fees? Fine, next time it's surprise rape for everyone!

Trigger warnings?

3 years ago

Trigger warnings?

3 years ago
Is this BZ's first meme post? A momentous occasion.

Trigger warnings?

3 years ago
I'm not sure the people who reflexively trot that one out even know what it means or have ever thought about it for even a second tbh.

Things have really gone full circle from demanding inclusion to insisting inclusion is racist. Reminds me of what Malk brought up the other day of how things have changed for the LGBT. It used to be that supporting them meant you believed people should be able to have relationships with whoever they wanted and it wasn't anyone else's business. And now lesbians MUST allow a penis into them and gays must get it up for the vagina or else they're just a bunch of transphobics who should be forced off reddit for their hateful non cooperating genitals.

Trigger warnings?

3 years ago
Please, history doesn't belong to everyone. It's only for the people who can pass the appropriate DNA tests to teach/learn/write/speak/think about small specific portions of it.

Trigger warnings?

3 years ago
Interesting, I'll send her the link.

And I'd include warnings for content like that, I actually would rather not upset anybody, but there was a similar blacklist we were dealing with everywhere we joined and it becomes where you have to describe your entire story before anyone can read it just to not upset anyone.

They weren't even upset themselves, just upset that someone else MIGHT get upset. Even though obviously no one would go into a story about Nanking expecting puppies and rainbows.