Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Working on a new idea... is it good?

3 years ago

My new idea is Artemis Fowl related, however you wouldn't need to have read the books to play it. It revolves around an exchange student (you) who is staying with the Fowls and finds out Artemis's secrets. What do you think? Would you play it?

3 years ago

I always have problems with fan fiction. This is partly because it actually forgoes the opportunity to create your own world. Also it means adding to somebody else's franchise for free and if what you produce is good they can just take it away from you thanks to copyright law.

I would say if you are excited about it then write it. If you want to write it there is people out there who want to read it. Besides anything you write makes you a better writer so the effort is never wasted.

3 years ago
I think the key to fanfiction on a site that's not dedicated to it is that you have to control pacing and introduce key concepts and characters the same way you would brand new ones in an original story. You can't assume readers are going to know this stuff, and you'd be severely limiting your audience if you wrote it just for the people who are into the same thing.

In know nothing about Artemis Fowl except that it's the name of some kid books that exist, so when hearing about 'Artemis's secret' I don't know what it is or why I'm supposed to find discovering it exciting or interesting.

Have fun though and let us know if you have any questions about the writing itself.

3 years ago

Thank you! I think I'm going to do it in a way that appeals to fans of the series but is accessible to anyone, e.g. so that all necessary information will be provided because I know that not a lot of people have read the books. But thank you all for your help!