Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Question for people who enjoy fantasy.

3 years ago

If you're playing a fantasy game, and the story suddenly reveales a massive science fiction element, is this going to frustrate you at all? And are there any specific things that could tip the balance for you?

Also do you have any tips for doing this because I'm infinately worried I'm going to slip into writing pure sci fi, which I know is a big no if I started out in fantasy.

Also also, because I'd like to get as much information from a single post as possible, where do I put my storygame when I'm finished? Should I leave it in dark fantasy where I think it should probably be seeing as most of it falls into here, or somewhere else? If you play it a certain way you can get by with only one fantasy element in the whole thing. 

Literally anything anyone can give me here is very much appreciated. Thank you for reading this train wreck of a question.

3 years ago
If you think it should be in dark fantasy, leave it in dark fantasy and just add Sci Fi to the tags. The difference between fantasy and certain styles of sci fi is pretty blurry anyway, and all the categories here are pretty broad and vague.

3 years ago

Fantasy suddenly having scifi elements has never bothered me. I'd do what Mizal said and put it into Dark Fantasy with scifi tags.

3 years ago

Okay, well thank you a load to the both of you. You're probably right there. I actually forgot tags were a thing lmao, I don't usually pay attention to them. Sorry to everyone who does, y'all should be warned I'm horrible at this kind of thing, meaning anything that isn't the actual story.

3 years ago
Some books have done this incredibly well and too great effect. I think this can work super nicely. The challenge is to keep the same tome. I have written a story in such a setting a while ago, and one problem that I encountered was that you can't just write 'computer screen' if the heroes find one. One has to describe it and in order to describe it over and over again the fanatsy people have to coin their own words. A possible alternative may be that some terms might have been handed down to them, but then one would need to somehow disguise them in the beginning to not give the game away too early.

3 years ago

Honestly looking forward to writing about "the strange forms the sand people's magic takes, where light-pictures apparate from a cold black mirror, and white stars are encased in glass to light their way at night." That's got to be my favourite part about crossing sci fi and fantasy.

And yes there are sand people.

3 years ago

I wasn't going to make a thread but I had a similar question so this was useful. I'm working on a story today that was going to go in Modern Adventure, and then this morning I decided I would add some science fiction elements.

It's called The End of Your Life, it's not going to be a very long story but I hope some of you will read it when it's published either today or tomorrow.