Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

So, Thanksgiving.

3 years ago
How'd that go?

Kind of a weird year for it I know, but did everyone still manage to eat pie?

(I swear I'm not JUST laying the groundwork for a thread in which to discuss covid's last and biggest hurrah of the year, coming soon to a grandmother's house near you...)

So, Thanksgiving.

3 years ago

mrs rona knows Christmas will be her grand finale before the vaccine, so thanksgiving will be the penultimate grandma slaughter before the main event i'd imagine 

So, Thanksgiving.

3 years ago
It's unlikely, but there's still room for a big potential fiery trainwreck with the vaccines, if they're found to have some kind of negative effect on people who already had covid but just shrugged it off or were asymptomatic. Because there's going to be no easy way to know who most of these people are.

I mean besides the slow motion trainwreck that's already coming when half the population refuses to get vaccinated for their own poorly explained batshit reasons. But at any rate I figure there are going to be SOME distribution issues, as I no longer have faith in humanity to do even the most simple and necessary things without fucking it up in some spectacular way.

But anyway, I had Thanksgiving just with my dogs, got to catch up on some desperately needed sleep and do some writing, best Thanksgiving in years honestly since I get to avoid people without guilt and it's just called being responsible.

I might still have to make a courtesy visit to my brother's this weekend but I don't mind that so much.

So, Thanksgiving.

3 years ago
I ended up taking vacation today, turns out that sleeping in the day after Thanksgiving and then eating jalapeno cheese sausage mashed potatoes and gravy for breakfast is better than even the best Thanksgiving.

So, Thanksgiving.

3 years ago

This year I ate my veggies, did all of you?

And I was THANKFUL for them too!

Especially for the sweet potatoes covered in melted butter and carmalized brown sugar that I still got to pretend was healthy. And obviously we did not invite any viruses aka my mom's evil sweaty mother.

So, Thanksgiving.

3 years ago

As for other things to be thankful for, I'm glad there are such dedicated people doing pest control here, because I can't help but notice the site has a bad cockroach infestation today.

So, Thanksgiving.

3 years ago
You're welcome. I also killed a furry Mormon I found openly and without shame making a vore fetish game, which is going to be the real memorable event of the day.

So, Thanksgiving.

3 years ago
Flew back to my hometown. The airport was eerie; I was literally the only passenger past security for a good 30 minutes. Granted, I got there a little early and the airport where I live is small, but still it's weird seeing normally heavily populated areas with no one in them. Posted up at the bar, overpaid for a beer and pre-made sandwich. Bartender gave the second one as a freebie though, so I'm thankful for that. Didn't even need to pass a charisma check. Across the hall from my seat was a family with masks and face shields. AC must have been pushing 30. The stewardess gave me a free cheese and fruit platter, probably due to the charisma boost from drinking the two beers, definitely wasn't because it was expiring or anything. I ate as slow as possible in order to keep my ninja mask off as long as I could. Thanksgiving itself was normal enough. As a man, my only duty was to consume the hard work of the slave women in the kitchen before they get a chance. Typical Thanksgiving things also include football games, family members asking every possible question in the history of man (about my life specifically), and cliches involving "food babies," "comas," and "upping pants sizes," you know, not like Americans don't eat that much every day or anything. But no, no pie was eaten. Desserts wish they could explore my holy of holies. Sometimes I wish they could as well.

So, Thanksgiving.

3 years ago
You're lucky you're such a good and prolific writer, I definitely wouldn't put up with this level of anti-sugar fanaticism coming from anybody else.

So, Thanksgiving.

3 years ago
Well you see, it's a real Samson situation here. God will take away my writing powers if I consume sugar.

So, Thanksgiving.

3 years ago

"desserts wish they could explore my holy of holies" 

you're shoving them down the wrong end man 

So, Thanksgiving.

3 years ago
Oh. That's why they kicked me out of Disneyland as a child. Man, they have some good churros there.

So, Thanksgiving.

3 years ago

you were actually ahead of the game, as it's now the only way to safely consume a disneyland churro without removing your protective layers of face shielding 

So, Thanksgiving.

3 years ago
The vaccine developed by Pfizer has been approved for the UK. So good for them. Hopefully Canada gets in on that soon assuming it doesn't turn out to spread the rage virus or contain malicious nanobots or whatever.

I guess it'd be nice to have it in the US eventually too, but it seems more fair to let the other countries go first since half our population doesn't even want vaccines and will go through comical extents to refuse and discredit the whole idea of them.

(Although of course it's kinda too bad it couldn't have been figured out just a little before the holidays instead of after, once we can get it here at least medical workers and the like will be protected while helping the conspiracy theory crackpots....)

So, Thanksgiving.

3 years ago
It's looking like the vaccines could start going to doctors, nurses, and EMTs in especially bad areas in the US by Dec 13th at the very earliest, with doses for 20 million more people available by the end of December.

I'm glad the fact that our government pissed off the Pfizer CEOs by trying to steal credit for their vaccine when it first started getting good trial results didn't lead to any hard feelings, this will be a historically fast deployment. Also glad it's going to medical workers in advance so I can point that out and tell people around me to shut the fuck up when they tell me I shouldn't get it, because "it just doesn't sit right with them" and it's so so suspicious that a vaccine is being developed for a virus.

So, Thanksgiving.

3 years ago

Every year, me and my relatives would visit each other and have Thanksgiving together. But, due to COVID-19, we weren't able to. Our grandma was the only one who was able to come over. It wasn't as fun, since she had to social distance when we were eating, but it was still fun. I even made apple pie and mac and cheese! :]

So, Thanksgiving.

3 years ago
We used to have really big family events when I was a kid, but I'm pretty used to the smaller ones just with my brother's family and dad now and honestly prefer them. If you have a lot of family and don't get to see them very often except the holidays I imagine this year's Thanksgiving was pretty disappointing though. Still it's important for everybody to stay safe and hopefully you get an extra thankful Thanksgiving next year.

The galaxy brained moved is to layer the mac inside the pie with the apples btw.

So, Thanksgiving.

3 years ago

The galaxy brained moved is to layer the mac inside the pie with the apples btw.

Oh, right! Dang it, why didn't I think of that before?

So, Thanksgiving.

3 years ago
Thanksgiving was good and all, but I'll never be able to eat turkey again since last year.
My aunt made the stuffing explode out of the turkey's ass, which was apparently where it was stuffed in. I was on the side facing the explosion. Needless to say, I lost my appetite.

So, Thanksgiving.

3 years ago

F

So, Thanksgiving.

3 years ago
You're not supposed to actually stuff the stuffing in the turkey, I think that's considered a salmonella risk or something now. We always just make a giant pan of it.

But that's hilarious and it's too bad no one got it on video.

I mean, sorry for your childhood trauma.

So, Thanksgiving.

3 years ago

it also just doesn't taste right. i'm a stuffing junkey but a bite of stuffing with turkey st the same time doesn't taste right 

So, Thanksgiving.

3 years ago

I'm late to this, but I've always been neutral on spending Thanksgiving/Christmas with the extended family. I mean, I don't hate my relatives, but that doesn't mean I want to hang out with a bunch of them for an extended period of time. The idea of risking my life just for a meal and company with people I hardly know seems not worth it.

But maybe I'm just jaded.

So, Thanksgiving.

3 years ago
Not sure how old you are, but at a certain point you realize that for certain portions of the family, if you really all liked spending time with each other you'd be doing it on more than just the three or four days a year tradition guilts you into it.