Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was accepted 6/22/2006: will do
This feature was completed 7/14/2006: done

Variables - Variable Changes

17 years ago

Would it be possible to have the option to make a variable change according to a certain variable?

For example...

Say there's a game in which there are two variables, Hunger and Berries. For this example, we'll say that Hunger is 3 and Berries is 10. There's an option to eat some of your berries. I would want to have my game character eat 3 berries, thus decreasing his hunger to 0. (Apparently he has a rather small appetite if eating three berries satisfies him, but that's not the point). Would it be possible to make this happen?

17 years ago
It IS possible. BUT it cant happen in one page. Wait for scripting.

17 years ago

Sure, it's possible.  Use one link and call it EAT 3 BERRIES.  Go to the Variables page and make hunger go down by whatever 3 berries does and make berries go down 3.

Now for my Super Idea that I've been harboring in my mind for a week.  This is one of those things that would make it a lot easier to make complex systems.  In the varible spot, we can already have #d#.  Well, what if we could put in the full name of a varible to make it so that the variable affected is changed by the number in the first variable.  Let me get a little more technical.

VarA:EnyHP (Enemy Hit Points)
VarB:YourATK (You Attack)

Person clicks on link:  Attack the enemy!

The creator of the game had the following things in the Variable Spot:

EnyHP: Subtract: YOURATK (because variables are all UPCASE)

So, whenever the player hits that link the enemy would lose the same amount of HP as the person's attack.  This is bennificial because  it would mean that the user wouldn't have to keep making so many links for when the attack changes.  It's done automattically.  You see, it'd be more benificial to do it that way than to make a 100 links if the possible attack range was 1-100.  Do you see how much time this would save to making greater games?

Now, you also think that the editor should be easy to understand.  Well, I could teach the users of it what it does and how to fully utilize it.  In fact, most people won't even figure it out unless we explain that it exists so it's a silent improvement.  Make sure, though that you make it so we can put it in the spot where we change the numbers and don't affect the dropdown box for that shouldn't be needed.

17 years ago
This is one of the first things I wondered "what if" about when looking at variables. It'd open up many, many possibilities.

17 years ago
Agreement, this is needed.

17 years ago
I will do this as well when upgrading the variables subsystem.

17 years ago
OK, that looks good. How are handouts coming?