Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Free Ideas

3 years ago
I've been thinking about how some people have endless story ideas, more than we could ever possibly write about, while others for some reason really struggle there and always have to ask for suggestions.

We could use this thread to collect together plots that are free for anyone to use. They don't need to have too much detail, you should be able to describe a basic plot in a paragraph or two. We can say 300 words or less. And of course it doesn't even matter if more than one person wants to use them, there lots of similar plots out there.

Now I'll go first, fantasy isn't really my thing so I know I'll never use this, but with the contest on maybe someone else can:

1) Patrons of a dockside tavern home to cutthroats, pirates, and slavers are approached by a group of completely out of place priests of a god of justice. That tell the story of their far away kingdom, how long ago one of their kings made contact with to the Abyss, and made a deal with a demon to grant him supernatural power in order to win a war and save the country.
The problem is he was tricked, and when he died the demon just jumped to his heir, and then to the next one, and so on for generations.

The priests are sworn as part of their traditional oaths to their god to never raise a hand against their rightful king. If they did that they would actually go to hell, besides having the king's demon personally angry at them. Which is why they're here to hire a group of adventurers from another land who are all probably going to hell anyway. They'll give up all the gold and silver their Church has hoarded over the years, to any group that agrees to wipe out the entire royal bloodline, as this is the only way to banish the demon.

There might be another path possible when a witch you meet on your travels says that you don't need to wipe out everyone, just the current king. She explains you can help her set it up so that the demon is tricked into going into a different person after that, who can then be more easily killed. But who knows if you can trust her?

Free Ideas

3 years ago
Nice try, but my ideas are precious to me and I will take them to my grave before I see them in the hands of lesser writers.

Free Ideas

3 years ago
Penciling in a visit to the cemetary with a shovel, got it.

Free Ideas

3 years ago
If an author has to "borrowed" the plot from someone else than his own mind... That is a writer that I doubt it would go anywhere.

Free Ideas

3 years ago
I don't know, I think everybody's process is different, and even people who write regularly can get sudden inspiration from a good prompt. And I think people can get ideas in a subject or setting they don't like to write in, so they might as well share them.

Free Ideas

3 years ago
Meh, it really depends on the author if the plot would blossom or die.
Their interests and writing style really affects this, idk if this would work.
Hey, I like the premise of what you wrote up there!

Free Ideas

3 years ago
Dark Fantasy Plot #2 In a great empire, every year a certain number of newborn slave children are sacrificed to the water god, placed in baskets and sent down a treacherous river that leads to a monser's lair. One of these against all odds floats through a maze like lagoon and ends up at the temple where the water priests live. They decide the baby must be chosen by the god and raise him (or her) as one of them. Years later, there's an uprising among the slaves, who have taken up the worship of their own ancestral god once again. City after city falls to them until there's only the Imperial City at the center of a lake. Being the highest ranking priest left at the temple, you're sent to summon the water god to fight in the defense of the Emperor. But on the way there, a strange messenger approaches you from one of the groups of liberated slaves, and says that if you kill the water monster, you'll prove you're the chosen one of THEIR much more powerful god and can join them in taking the city with victory guaranteed. The choice is which side do you take? It should be obvious where I got the first part of the idea for this, but of course depending on who's writing it it can go a lot of ways.

Free Ideas

3 years ago
Pretty cool, maybe you can use this for your contest entry?

Free Ideas

3 years ago
I think this is an awesome idea! I sometimes just have a hard time getting started. Story prompts help me get things on paper, even if the end result is no where near what was suggested. Thank you :)

Free Ideas

3 years ago
Bumping this since I saw a newbie looking for ideas. I think this could be a useful thread for a lot of people so I'll start adding to it again soon.

Free Ideas

3 years ago

There's a real epidemic of noobs asking for ideas for their stories. You should stop lmao. Creativity is literally the easiest part of a story. Ideas are a dime a dozen if you can't think of them yourself you are not going to produce anything worthwhile.