Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Howdy :>

3 years ago
Greetings all!
I was randomly drawn to this site in particular just today as I was searching through threads for CYOA games and the like. So far I'm loving it here!
Not much else to note, enjoying— no, not quite... gobbling up... eh, kinda lame... EXPERIENCING, Eternal so far has been a trip, and maybe a bit of an ambitious pick for my first choice, ha. That being said, I'm determined to see it through now.
Wish me luck! (blergh...)

3 years ago
Hello!
We welcome you with open arms, just don't offend anyone since you're new and unknown.
(And, if you care about this account, don't EVER tag(@) EndMaster.)

That being said, have fun here!

3 years ago
I'll certainly try to be on my best behavior!
(and that sounds serious and more than a tad scary so I won't take your words lightly >>)
And I hope I will, thanks!

3 years ago
Oh, and if you want to know about forum etiquitte, corpses of newbs, and other fun stuff, just browse all the ones like I do when I'm bored :p

3 years ago
Oh, I'll for sure be taking a look around! Thanks for the tip

3 years ago
wait now I'm curious what happens if you tag him ;;
not gonna do it but damn why does that sound low-key scary

3 years ago
Um.
*Cautiously looks around*
(It's an instant ban, my good friend...)

3 years ago
wait but why o__o??
sorry I'm new around here

3 years ago
You walk into an unfamiliar place. Strangers immediately crowd around telling you there's a pitcher of koolaid on the table, some warning you not to drink it at any cost while others keep trying to press a cup into your hands while smiling just a little too wide and suggesting that you look very thirsty.

Do you:

1) Drink the koolaid
2) Don't drink the koolaid

But for real, it's all just a joke. Tagging Endmaster is perfectly safe.

@Endmaster

See?

Now you try. :) :) :)

3 years ago
mmmm,, sounds sus
I'll... I'll pass

...please don't ban me

3 years ago
But the kool aid! It will taste so good! Look at the nice purple color. I bet you can't wait to try it...

3 years ago
See, Mizal is our other "absolute power" admin around here, so End can't ban her. He would gladly do that to unsuspecting noobs though.

3 years ago

Imma drink it just because im curious about what'll happen

3 years ago
And another warden bites the dust before even managing to get a single point to their order.

3 years ago
Maybe it'll come up some time in a history class once you get to highschool.

3 years ago
Welcome to the site, I do hope you enjoy your time here.

3 years ago
Thanks!

3 years ago
Welcome to the site! Glad you're enjoying yourself.

Eternal is an excellent first choice, and Endmaster has plenty of other stories to check out after that. I recommend Necromancer and Death Song next.

Let us know if you have any questions, particularly if you plan on doing any writing yourself.

And ignore that silly penguin kid, Endmaster loves being tagged. Everyone with the power to ban you in an instant does.

3 years ago
Hey! That advice isn't silly!
What do you expect me to do next time, lure the poor fellow into a trap?

3 years ago
Thank you!
I will absolutely have to check those out. I have no idea how long Eternal is, but I can definitely see it turning into a weeklong ride that I'm totally down for. If those other works of his are anything of the caliber Eternal is, I'll soon be chasing those down too. With gusto. Maybe have a bit of a break to see what some other authors have to offer along the way— so many choices!

No questions currently, and I may do a bit of writing, depends on how inspired I'm feeling when the mood hits me to start clacking away...
And if that's the case, I'll be sure to do it right away! @endm—
Now wait a second, what was that about a ban .>.

3 years ago
Commended by mizal on 12/3/2020 5:22:50 PM

Hi welcome, what makes this site great is that, beneath the surface, it is actually a pretty serious writing community. People are excited about writing and care about producing quality. Although this is still part of the internet and hence there is a predictable amount of trash, there are also some impressive stories here.

The stuff about bans is only half joking. I am pretty much a newb here and during my first months I was slightly disconcerted by the rate of bans happening (and being celebrated publicly on the forum). They are due to a certain pattern where some random (invariably 14yo) kid joins, behaves for a day, and then starts posting a lot of short, vacuous posts that quickly become annoying. Since this happens at a high rate, tempers are short and response is swift. The perpetrator in question typically just creates a new account and (also invariably) announces this on the forum. Response is even swifter. After they burn through a bunch accounts over in a day they vanish and then the next person joins and does the exact same thing.

The quick bans and public ridicule can be intimidating, but they keep the site from degenerating into something that nobody here wants. When you know the site is actually open and welcoming and you can speak your mind pretty freely as long as you making an actual contribution. Quality content is greatly valued&emdash;this of course includes good story games but also insightful reviews, and even good forum posts.

3 years ago
I see. I suppose that could be kind of intimidating and off-putting, but I’m sure you guys have good reason to take action in such a way. Whatever it is, it seems to be working too, what with the active community surrounding this place. I’ll be on my best behavior then, and I’ll try to use my brain before I dive into something, realize I’m in over my head, and then get banned for doing something idiotic.

3 years ago

Welcome to CYS! You're not going to get banned, I've seen the kids that get banned and you're already too intelligent. Anyone who has ever used a forum knows not to run around necroing old threads and spamming. There was just a guy that made hundreds of accounts the other day, and has been doing that for years. If he'd spent a fraction of that time using the site normally he'd be a legendary writer with thousands of points. 

3 years ago
Well, that's reassuring, thanks for the welcome. From your description that does sound pretty annoying. Especially having to deal with them time after time again, that has to be tiring.

3 years ago
Recently we implemented a captcha just for that single person.

3 years ago
This post of Northwind's will be useful to link kids to when I get tired of repeating what they shouldn't do two minutes before they do it anyway.

And I'll just add to this that they can thank the Warrior Cats fandom for sandblasting away any sense of sympathy or remorse regarding children as a species around here. The endless annoyance they inflicted across all the land in a time when the admins were too weak to ban them, followed by the subsequent multi stage purges when enough became enough was a big part of shaping our culture.

3 years ago
Hello~

3 years ago
Hey hey!