Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago
So I was wondering, what's your favorite quote?

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

"Give a man a fire and he’s warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he’s warm for the rest of his life.” - Terry Pratchett

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

Also:

"Give a man a duck and he'll be able to feed himself for a day, teach a man to duck and he'll be able to avoid low flying objects." - Unknown

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

Pratchett is my favorite author. my personal favorite quote by him is

“The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.”

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett ^_^

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago
"Thara is an impatient little bitch." --Mizal, 12/31/2020, 5:53 am

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

"Elf whore." --TharaApples, 12/31/20, Some time in the morning 

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

“If we are all God's children, what's so special about Jesus?” - Jimmy Carr

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago
"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago
I don't care who your father is, while I'm fishing nobody walks on the water. --Unknown

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

"I don’t think there is anything particularly wrong about hitting a woman- although I don’t recommend doing it in the same way that you’d hit a man. An open-handed slap is justified if all other alternatives fail.” – Sean Connery

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

"It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." - Herman Melville 

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago
"But how are we going to get all the chimpanzees into the wet-suits?" - Pinky (Pinky and The Brain).

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

"But me and Pipi Longstocking, what would the children look like?" - Pinky

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago
Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Philippians 4:4-7
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Just some gay wholesome Christianity while you wait for me to get out the Old Testament, which is made of pure fucking metal.

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago
[Smiting the heathen delayed while I do laundry]

[Also it's really difficult to narrow Psalm 37 down just to the highlights, we might need a metal poetry thread instead.]

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago
Give us some real Fire & Damnation!

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

"That's what." --She

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

I laughed way too much at this. ^_^

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

"When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk." - Tuco

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes."

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."

"If at first you don't succeed: Cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie."

"When I die, I hope it's peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, and not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Jack Handey used to write the Deep Thoughts segment for SNL, and he kept adding more to his website even after those ended. I wasted a day binging them once many years ago, but looks like you have to buy them as a book now. Although I'm sure they're around somewhere if you look for them.

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. The true neighbor will risk his position, his prestige, and even his life for the welfare of others.”- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. 

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago
Ah, the classics!

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure." - Bill Cosby ... Rather disturbing in hindsight. >.>

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

"Stay strong. Make them wonder how you're still smiling." -Unknown

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago
Okay, favorite badass quotes which are actually funny?

My personal favorite is "Don't mind me, just taking life several fucks at a time." - I have absolutely no idea who said this.

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

God this is so cringy. You're too young to understand now, but re-read this in like six years. 

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

There's nothing wrong with taking life several fucks at a time. No slut shaming. ^_^

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago
what do you mean slut-shaming? I thought this was referring to how bad life can get, right?

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

Uhh... Sure. ^_^

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago
??? For some reason, I feel like something's not right.

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

It isn't, but I'd advise you not to know.

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago
...Okay???

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

Okay, favorite badass quotes which are actually funny?

I'm not much of a bad apple person, so I'll skip out on this one.

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago
Alright! : )

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

"When the righteous prosper, the city rejoices; when the wicked perish, there are shouts of joy." --Proverbs 11:10

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

Since we're doing a Bible theme, I like Ecclesiastes 2:16:

"For the wise, like the fool, will not be long remembered; the days have already come when both have been forgotten. Like the fool, the wise too must die." 

I'm not religious, but I still re-read the Book of Ecclesiastes every now and then. 

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago
Ever tried, ever failed.
No matter.
Try again. Fail Again.
Fail better.

-- Samuel Beckett

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

"When I say I like Hitler I do not imply that he is a personally winning or temperately rational individual, but simply that he is an honest, ignorant man fighting bravely & blindly against the disintegrative forces which more educated & sophisticated people accept without adequate evidence as inevitable." - H.P. Lovecraft ^_^

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago
This thread needs some Inspirobot!

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

Well here goes my whole morning...

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago
Now that I have unleashed this thing, I suppose I'll get in on the inevitable image spam early.

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

Luckily all you need to do is wash your hands, and then you'll be white! ^_^

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

"Idealism, the disease of idiots." - Dr. Leonard Price

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

"If you will it, it is no dream"

-Herzl

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

Found a few fun ones. ^_^

"If you kick every Latino out of this country, then who is going to be cleaning your toilet, Donald Trump?" - Kelly Osbourne

"Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." - Mel Gibson

"I can't stand black guys. I would never touch one. It's gross." - Paris Hilton

"I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first." - Mel Gibson

"Sometimes I wish slavery was still going' on. I don't need black fans anyway. Y'all don't buy albums." - Kreayshawn (No idea who this person is, but apparently she's famous.) :p

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago
"A coward dies a thousand times before his death, but the valiant taste of death but once. It seems to me most strange that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." - William Shakespeare, from Julius Caesar "Don't try to figure out what other people want to hear from you; figure out what you have to say." - Barbara Kingsolver. Seems like a good one that wannabe writers especially should keep in mind. "Man plans, and God laughs." - an old Yiddish saying that seems fitting for the past year. And most of history, I guess.

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago
"I farted" -- Ogre

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

"Excuse me, black 'people'?? We're calling them people now?" -Avery_Moore

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

I don't remember saying that... But it's a quote, so I guess I must have. ^_^

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago
Yeah it's in quote marks and everything, the evidence checks out.

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

Time to show off my impressive photoshopping skills. 

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

Where's my MAGA hat? ^_^

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

... It's beautiful! O.O

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

“I came in first in the 2014 Spring Thing, won 600 dollars and got fucked in the ass by End Master, all in all a good day.” - Real quote by Briar Rose

(I could explain the context, but it’s funnier this way)

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

"Who the fuck is Briar Rose?" - Someone's mom.

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago
I'm just going to keep lurking...

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago
Don't worry Fem, I'm going to make a new thread and keep this mob of insurrectionists out of it.

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago

Awh :(

Favorite Quote?

3 years ago
Lol