Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Yet ANOTHER anime avatar annoying Mizal

3 years ago
Hello, as you can tell, I'm new here. I am excited about sharing my work online with everyone! When I publish my work I want honest opinions, the good and the bad. It's the only way I'm going to improve as a writer.

3 years ago

When I publish my work I want honest opinions, the good and the bad. It's the only way I'm going to improve as a writer.

I like this person. They understand constructive criticism and are willing to take it. Respect.

3 years ago
Hey, welcome to the site.

That's a good mentality to have here, we give out honest, soemtimes brutal opinions, but they will be truthful.

3 years ago

Welcome, and hope you enjoy the site.

Feel free to read some good articles between some outdated ones here, especially the timeless and informative advice from Gower, which probably won't take longer than an hour.

3 years ago
Welcome! I certainly have learned a lot here already.

3 years ago
So I wrote a prologue to a story but I don't know if I should continue it. Can you give me your opinions and ideas on what I could do next?

Here's the story:

There once was a young, seventeen year old, boy who lives in the rural part of his country. he lived with his younger sister and mother. His father was away fighting a war. This war was a fight between humans and monsters. Each one wanting a part of the other's territory. This war was causing families to lose their jobs and homes. Most of the money was taken away, by the government, to fund the war. The boy's family was no exception. In fact, they barely had any money to live off of at all.

The boy worked day and night to provide for his family for the boy's sister was often sick and bedridden. She had a rare condition that disabled her ability to walk properly. The cost of her medicine took what little money the boy's family had. His mother had to stay at home to take care of the younger sister. You see, women were not allowed to do men's work. Their job was to stay at home and raise the children. As a result, the boy had to grow up quickly so that his family could survive.

One day, the soldiers of the country came to the boy's town. Curious, the boy made his way to the front of the crowd that had gathered around the soldiers. The soldiers started to call out most of the names of boys who lived in the town, the boy's name among them. The soldier's asked for the boys that were called, for they had been chosen to join the war.

The boy was terrified. He was not only going to war but he had to leave his family behind. Who will take care of them when he is gone? Alas, the boy could not escape his fate and was taken to the capital to be trained.

He could not escape his fate to join the war but maybe he can change his destiny.

3 years ago

This should probably go in Creative Corner, not Newbie Central.

3 years ago
Oh, I didn't know. Still new to this site. Sorry.

3 years ago

That's not a prolgoue honey, that's a plot summary.

It's a decent plot summary though. Curious, is this a high fantasy or modern fantasy? ^_^

3 years ago
It's going to be a high fantasy. I plan to add magic and mythical beast to it.

3 years ago

Yey! Sounds like a fun game. ^_^

3 years ago

The man likes chocolate and honest opinions... I like him. ^_^

3 years ago
Welcome to the site!

Critical feedback is encouraged here, so you'll be dealing with it no matter what, and so far it seems you've got the right attitude.

Generally we recommend taking some time to browse some of the stories here before diving into your own projects, just to get an idea of the quality level readers are hoping for and of what the editor is capable of.

Everyone's first storygame generally sucks, but getting early feedback on the forum the way you've been doing can help avoid some of the more common pitfalls.

Anyway, happy writing and good luck!

3 years ago
Good luck~

3 years ago
Someone changed the name of the thread. LOL, Sorry Mizal, didn't mean to annoy you! XD

3 years ago
Wasn't me, someone was just making correct assumptions here. The avatars annoy me greatly, but you're fine so far.

3 years ago

Do I count as an annoying anime avatar? :p

3 years ago
Diabolical She Witch are the words I would use.

3 years ago

Hurray! ^_^

3 years ago

Out of curiosity, why do anime avatars annoy you so much?

-He says with an anime avatar.

3 years ago

Warm welcomes all around it seems.

Have another :)