Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Alone

3 years ago
Commended by mizal on 2/10/2021 3:46:27 PM

Just a short story I wrote based around the fear of being Alone!

The closet was barely wide enough to fit even my frail frame. My stiff limbs are unable to even move an inch. Of course, I find the pressure of the walls on my arms comforting, but I would much rather not be in this enclosed space, trapped. Especially not alone and wallowing in my own stench. The rope that kept me in place pressed tightly against my throat, constricting my breathing. I could hear them outside, playing with my new sister. She was younger than I was but even she was more a part of my adoptive family. Especially since Billy went missing. The void in a parent’s heart of a missing child was unfillable, especially one as young as my new brother. They always spoke about how his bright blue eyes were so full of hope and innocence. I guess I never really noticed. 

My stomach growled and I willed it to be silent. They didn’t like it when I made noise. I believe it made them uncomfortable and unnerved. Sounds they could never identify, odd smells they could never track. I don’t think they will ever be able to face me. Mindy, my new sister, hears me the most often. She’s such a snitch. She doesn’t understand that I don’t want to get caught. Our parents always believe her and come to listen but then I am as quiet as a thief. Not even the sound of my breath could be heard. They would laugh and tell Mindy that she was just imagining it. I could only imagine how other parents are and if they were just as inconsiderate.

I was disappointed and devastated when they never let me out. Especially when Billy vanished. They didn’t want me, even though I could be a lovable replacement child. You would think they’d want one. Maybe they didn’t even know I was there. At least Mindy spoke to me, if only through the cracks of the closet. Her quick breathing as she whispers to me brings me hope. Maybe I won’t be alone, forgotten forever. Locked away out of sight. That hole in my heart is consistently all consuming and the darkness of my closet only increases the anxiety. My heart beats faster and the feeling of not being able to breathe is overwhelming. Then I would remember where I am. My new home, surrounded by my new family. Those thoughts sparked a bubbly warmth that swept me away from the inner cold I felt radiated off my pale skin. Just yesterday, Mindy helped me calm down. She wanted to play with me. I had told her that the next day would be when I could sneak out and play. 

I heard her feet quickly pad across the room to my little door. She opened it for me to step out into Billy’s room, where light temporarily blinded me. I was a little older than Mindy, so she was about half my size. “I told them you weren’t imaginary,” She spoke up to me with her chocolate brown eyes. I smiled back to her, petting her with my dirt stained fingers. “Now can I go play with Billy?” Her question was filled with excitement. “Of course,” I purred and picked her up, her small frame pressed against mine. Her heart pounded in anticipation, arms wrapped tightly around my bruised neck. Missy had made sure her parents were sleeping, so it was easy to slip out into the comfortable night. Now, in the dark, I could complete my family. Mommy and Daddy would miss us, but it wouldn’t matter. We would all be together and that was all that mattered to us. 

I brought her into the woods, to the big old oak tree, where she had found me on my rope last week. If Missy hadn’t cut me down and brought me to Billy’s closet, I may have been alone forever. I looked up to where he swung, his bright eyes still glowing, and gave Missy a similar rope. “Are you ready to play?” I asked with a smile.

“Always,” She looked up at me with a trusting gaze. Now I will never swing alone ever again.

Alone

3 years ago
I don't know what's going on here but it's creepy as hell.

Alone

3 years ago

That's the goal! Thank you lol

Alone

3 years ago

Oh this one is nice! The first paragraph has almost a little bit too much going on for my taste, that could be paced out a bit more. But overall I really like it. Particularly it is nice how the nature of the horror element shifts from being worried for the narrator to being worried about Mindy, to being worried about Mindy in a different way. Very nice for such such a short story.

One small thing: You call her Mindy in the beginning but Missy later, accident?

Alone

3 years ago

Yep, misstype when I transferred it over. RIP.

Alone

3 years ago

Just as cryptic as your storygame, and more creepy.

Alone

3 years ago

Thank you! This was a fun write.