Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Coauthor Wanted: Good with variables???

3 years ago

It was suggested to me that I post here if I'm looking for a coauthor, and to tell them what I was looking for in one. So here ya go!

3 years ago

well what type of variables are you wanting? What will you want them to do and how will they be used?

3 years ago
Well, you got the first part right, but what about the second part? Whare are you looking for? Do you want someone to proofread? Develop a story? Work through plots? Develop characters? If it is just variables, what for? Calculations? Direction in the story? Tracking values and making decisions? Triggering events? Usually when you use variables, it is to complete a very specific task. In fact, most stories don't need them (though you can add them just to learn how to use them) unless you're doing something like tracking stats that are used in some way in the story (need a strength of 3 to lift the heavy grate or something).

3 years ago

you can also use the variables for health so someone knows to be careful.

3 years ago
Is this the story in your profile or a different one?

Might want to paste the address here so people can check it out and see if the concept interests them.

3 years ago

My general advice with variables is to learn them yourself; they're not very complicated, and they're not even necessary. I am using variables on pages, where you have multiple options that you can look at, to hide options you've already seen. You should also be more specific with what you even mean by this. What are you planning to do with variables? How much?

3 years ago
And if you do want to explore them yourself, this help page has some good information in places about them.

3 years ago

Alright, so this is more confusing than I originally thought it would be (what's new, lol). You know that game, the one about being a slave... "Price of Freedom: Innocence Lost". I was kinda hoping a mix of that and the "dream powers" in Dreamtruder. Also a hunger, thirst, and energy bar, like "MyVacation". Maybe I should try to write something easy before launching into a full-out storygame? That sounds much more smart than just diving in over my head.

3 years ago
It might be best to write a story game with just plain options to get the hang of writing and paths. Then, if you find a need for variables, you can invest in them. And when I say "paths," I'm talking about how CYOA games are different then just plain writing a story.

3 years ago

I would say that it is possible to begin with a large game, but only if you are very sure that you can handle it. Seeing how you are already not too motivated to devote large chunks of time to writing, it may be easier to start with a game where the sole focus is on the story rather than adding in extra complications like variables and items.

If you do want to implement a health system in the future, the usual way is to use variables (I think another member put a link for that earlier) and set it to how much health you want the reader to start with. Then under each link that causes damage to the reader's health, you can deduct some variable points. There's a setting in the variables part that allows you to bring the reader to a specific page once health falls below a certain number (I usually set it to 0).

As for the dream powers in Dreamtruder, they are items that can be found on certain pages and a lot of the links were item restricted so the dream powers could unlock different options. Besides that, you should also learn how to use items to find out how to do that. I recommend reading some articles in the Help and Info section to get a better understanding of how to use the site.

3 years ago

Okay, thank you!

3 years ago

No problem!

3 years ago
@325boy

I assign this child to you for mentoring.