Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Mysteries and Secrets

2 years ago
Hello CYS!

I was just thinking of my game and how I have characters with conversations that lead to hidden options later. There could be an entire plot hidden that way.... I wonder what else could be done with this, for instance a treasure hunt with clues you find if you explore enough when playing the regular story.
What do you think, and and are there games like this already?

Mysteries and Secrets

2 years ago
Yes, as a matter of fact, there are many games where you pick choices and this leads to plots you never would've gotten otherwise. Quite wondrous and amazing, these stories where you click the links can be.

I suppose you mean making heavy use of restricted or hidden links with variables though, since I remember you were trying to figure those out.

As for treasure hunts, if you're talking sort of a meta thing separate from the plot....that could either be really interesting or really annoying. I think it'd all come down to how it was handled by the author.

Mysteries and Secrets

2 years ago
I didn't really have time to follow through with my thoughts earlier, but I think hidden paths can be pretty cool tbh...IF you're fine with putting a lot of work into something that for all you know, no one may ever see.

As far as treasure hunts, I remember the first game I started here (and posted as a 50 page demo back when people still did that) had as part of my setting notes a poem about a cataclysmic war that led to the status quo at the time of the story. I'd had an idea to put a fragment of it somewhere in every path, and reward anyone who put it all together with... Well I didn't think that far. But I still sort of like the idea and might reuse it somewhere one day.