Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Would this story be a rip-off?

17 years ago
I'm making a choose-your-own-adventure story, and it is set in an abandoned hospital. Seeing The Free Hand is set in the same location, would my story be a rip-off?

17 years ago
As long as it has a different plot, I'm sure you'll be okay.

17 years ago
There are lots of horror stories set in hospitals-- just like there are tons of horror stories about creepy little kids, and psychotic people, and graveyards, and. . .  you get the idea.  Some places are just scarier than others.

17 years ago
Okay, it's just because I like The Free Hand so much that people might think I copied it. Okay, thanks guys.

17 years ago
No offence, but it's like asking "Is having Energy Weapons in my Sci-Fi a rip-off?" I don't want to offend you, I'm just saying.

17 years ago
I see October's point.  Since everyone on the site has probably read The Free Hand, it's a legitimate concern that some people might see his hospital-set-horror-story and jump to the conclusion he got the idea from The Free Hand.  I don't think he needs to worry about it, though.

17 years ago
Especially if they read this post, you plagerist you. Just make sure to put in a Bibliography that tells where you got the idea..

17 years ago

put in a bibliography?! what the heck! this isnt english class! if he doesnt write the same story then its ok. however, if he thinks its too close, then he shouldnt do it. simple as that. no need to add a bibliography.

nate

17 years ago
Sorry.

17 years ago
dont worry if it is a rip off, just have fun making the game you want to make...

17 years ago
but still people will be suspicious

17 years ago
Only if they're naturally thusly inclined.  I think the original point still stands.  The fact it's set in a hospital doesn't automatically make it a ripoff of The Free Hand.  (I just saw a movie on SciFi about a haunted hospital.  It was terrible.  On the whole, I'd rather read The Free Hand again.) 

17 years ago
Well there you go. The Free Hand is probably the only good horror-story work that takes place in a hospital.

17 years ago
What about Kingdom Hospital?

17 years ago
Don't know about that.