Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

The Last Harry Potter Book

16 years ago

Since this is a story site, and since this is the reading corner. WE MUST have a debate/vote on who will be the next character to die.

There have been hints that a main character (i.e. harry, ron or hermione) dies.

I think harry will die, but along with voldemort. What do you guys think......?

16 years ago
Hahaha, Harry Potter. You know, the only thing that makes me think of is some Irish guy going, "Fiddelie dee potatoes!", and I don't know why.

I think Harry and Voldemort will both die. Ron might, just might die, but Hermione won't.

16 years ago
She's killing off a cahracter that will make it impossible to continue the series after the seventh book.

16 years ago
Which will mean it is probably Harry Potter. Then she can't call the series Harry Potter anymore.

16 years ago
Whatever happens, I think it will involve tragedy and shocking revelations. Oh, and a climactic battle. Also, I think the R.A.B that stole the locket horcrux is Sirius's brother Regulus. Regulus A-something Black, see? Also, he was the one who tried to get away from the death eaters, so motive is there as well.

16 years ago

Are you guys really sure it has to be about killing off someone that is on the good side? There are tons of books with endings like, oh, the main character beat the evil lord and everyone lived happily ever after, the end. The evil guy is killed so book can end.

The ending for Harry Potter, which I predict, is that Harry will kill Voldemort and be praised as a hero, living as a legend in history. Harry does not die after killing the dark lord, but he lives on to fight other evils. There, better than killing Harry, Ron, or Hermione.

16 years ago
But then the Harry Potter series could be continued.. As in, you can't name a book after a character that isn't in it, can you? I'm just going off what JJJ said, I don't know if she's killing off anybody (except Voldemort, who will definitely go).

16 years ago
If that is the end of the series, why bother continuing it? And it is the end of the series, because Harry Potter comes of age and the series was meant to be about him at hogwarts...

16 years ago
Maybe she didn't want people to write further books about it. That's what I meant.

16 years ago

I have two philosiphies

I think HArry and voldemort will both die, Ron will barely escape along with hermione while Sirius will come back helping harry

OR

Harry will Marry Hermione at the end and Ron will be involved but harry will kill voldemort.

16 years ago
Possibly.

16 years ago
Why would Harry marry Hermione? He likes Ginny, does he? Ron should marry Hermione.

16 years ago

Yes I agree, there is no way Harry would marry Hermione. He's more likely to marry Ron in my opinion.

Yes, RAB has to mean Regulus A. Black. Is *'that guy that died in the 6th book' really dead?

My mum, a huge fan, thinks that Snape was working both sides. The crap that * drank weakened him, but also protected him from death.

Was the promise that Snape made to kill * or just to get Draco out alive?

Oh yeah, and if Harry does die, it would mean less acceptable fanfic on that horrible site. There's too much 'adult' fan fiction involving Harry and friends. It has to stop.

By the way, if you haven't read all the books so far, get away from this thread and come back when you're done.

No, really, go.

16 years ago
I got the advanced copy. Voldemort kills everyone and moves towards Harry, who zaps him with his wand. However, as Harry has seen Dumbledore and all his friends killed, his hate consumes him, finally dispelling any protection love once gave him. Furthermore, Voldemort is obviously filled with immense hatred. When Voldemort returns fire, the energies of the wand hit and the two character's hatred cause a massive explosion, killing them both. Only Harry's glasses are left, smoldering on the ground.

16 years ago

Oh great you ruined it for all of us. Way to go madglee.

No, I like that. Maybe not the explosion, it's not JK's style, but the hate consuming him, that's nice.

16 years ago
Oh no, NO! You've ruined it for us all!!!

16 years ago
Heheh, I just made that up. But I can see something like that happening. I doubt she'll kill Harry.

16 years ago
Haha :P, I knew you were making it up. I was playing along with it.

An advanced copy wouldn't be released though, knowing the author.

16 years ago

There's been a lot of talk about those interviews she gave, hinting about changing her mind from when she wrote the first book, talking about how there was a reason Sirius had to die. <-- spoiler if you haven't read all the books yet.

The other strange thing in the interview was, at the end, they asked her "what question should we have asked, but didn't?" So she posted on her official site:

"Why did Dumbledore have James' invisibility cloak at the time of James' death, given that Dumbledore could make himself invisible without a cloak?

Prior to posting this I had a quick look on-line, and realised that some fans have been speculating about this question. However, nobody has ever asked me about it, and they really should have done. Just to allay the fears of the justifiably suspicious, this isn't what we in the know call 'a Mark Evans situation.'* There IS a significant - even crucial - answer.

* Note to newcomers: my attempt to put to rest certain wild theories about the unimportant character of 'Mark Evans' backfired when I inadvertently built up even more excitement by promising to explain his significance."

My questions are these- does anyone have any idea on that question? and who's Mark Evans?

16 years ago

"He's more likely to marry Ron in my opinion."

Ewwww! Gay!

16 years ago
homophobe

16 years ago
I don't want this to escalate into a war of words, so I won't say anything.

16 years ago
harry potter will commit suicide

16 years ago
Harry Potter will actually be the bad guy's son - and he will realise that he is bored of being the good guy, and together with his newfound father, they will destroy the school for wizardry, and take over the world!!!!! Mwahahahaah!!!!!

16 years ago
ahah! that tsmpaul has a sense of humour :P

16 years ago
If only Luke Skywalker did the same

Oh Well, Star Wars still rocked.

16 years ago
Cool just finished it. Rommel, I deleted your post with "teasers," as the first one was a HUGE spoiler in my opinion. I never delete posts but I accidentally saw a spoiler on another site and it sucked, and I think this one was even worse, as it leads to even greater revelations.

16 years ago

yeah, good job madglee, i read the spoiler and i was pissed off, and i didnt even mean to, cuz  (a tip for rommel in the future) the background is not white, its like a beige, so the white comes through a bit..

anyways, i finished the book last night, i loved everything about it except the ending, the very last part (hmm, gotta word this so it gives nothing away except to those who have finsihed it) the last chapter where kids are talking about their houses... anyways, that should be good enough to go on, i hated that it ended like that... they should have never gone into that chapter, it should have ended with "i have had enough trouble for a lifetime" jeez its hard to reference without giving anything away...

16 years ago
I agree completely.

16 years ago

when i wrote that post, i couldnt think of the right word, but now i have:

it was rushed... or at least it seemed rush... and my friend was like, it could have come out of fanfiction.net and i agree with my friend... it was... stupid! and u know it sucks when its like 3 pages.... anyways, glad u agree :D

16 years ago

Yeah, it's hard to discuss what one liked/didn't like about the book without giving anything away.  So. . . DON"T READ THIS IF YOU DON"T WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING ABOUT THE BOOK AT ALL:

Okay, still with me?

1. I hated hated hated a certain character's death, since it was unnecessary to the narrative, negated a previous personal development, and wasn't even fully comprehended within the book.

2.  My personal favorite character (of two), whom I think could have been a goldmine of character development, was almost entirely left out of this book, and I think Rowling just doesn't like him.

3. Either she gravely misapprehends the intelligence level of her intended audience, or she's just not very good at surprises.  Once again, I was disappointed in the "revelations" of the denouement.  I mean, I saw it all coming a mile away.  The whole book, I'm thinking "Okay, it's painfully obvious that. (blankety blank blank) --so she can't really be going to have that be how it is- can she?  But she could, and she did. 

16 years ago
i think i know whos death you speak of, and yes, it was completely pointless, and didnt even make sense... PM about who ur fav character is if u are leaving it out of the post cuz i am unsure who u speak of, and i agree with you, it was completely predictable, and... useless... o well, i would love for like a book to come out thats like so short but fixes the flaws in that short ending, and like improves it... but o well, it wont happen lol...

16 years ago
I suspect who the character is you're talking about, but the second one, no clue what you mean. I thought it was written extremely well, in fact I'd say Rowlings is probably one of the best writers of this and the last century, despite not being profound in the least. Character development, pacing, everything.

HmmmMMmm.

16 years ago

wow, one of the best of the last 2 centuries? thats a very big compliment. who would you also put in that category though?

nate

16 years ago
Very good. I had pretty decent expectations for this book and she surpassed them in every category. Very well done to the author.

16 years ago

I'd like to take this opportunity to gloat over:

1-I read the book first on the site I finished at 7 PM on the day the book was released. I started at 11 AM, so that's 8 hours.

2-I correctly guessed the identity of R.A.B.

16 years ago

I'd like to take this opportunity to gloat over:

1- I started reading the book at 3 am on the day it was released, I finished at 6:30am, so that's 3 and a half hours.

2- I give myself no points for guessing anything, Rowling is a very predictable author.

16 years ago

I am a patriot, who worked at Kmart on the day it was released, postponing my own enjoyment for the sake of the Australian public.

I finished it last night.

16 years ago
I was working at a book store.

16 years ago

1. LOL at Seth pwning Rommel

2. LOL at Rommel posting a spoiler in white on a beige background.  We dont use MAG Rommel.

3. LOL at anyone not liking this book.  It was absolutely fundamentally awesome.  Rowling is amazing and wow it was great.  Im 100% behind madglee on the rowling is one of the best.  Think of the planning that had to go into that. AND SHE DID IT AS A SINGLE MOM IN COFFEE SHOP!?!?!?!?  Well ok only for the frst book but STILL.

16 years ago
Mmm, Tolkien, Toole, Asimov, Hemingway, some others. Remember that by last two centuries I mean this century and the 20th...not moving into the 19th century.

16 years ago

that makes more sense. lol although i dont know toole or asimov.

nate

16 years ago

omg.  you don't know isaac asimov?  he's only, like, the greatest sci-fi. . . oh yeah, you're not such a sci-fi guy, are you?

anyway, his Foundation series actually beat LOTR for best sci-fi/fantasy series of the century when the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writers of America gave out that award.

16 years ago

wow, thats pretty awesome. though, there are alot of people who dont like the LOTR series. however, i cant count that against him. ill have to check out some of his writings. though, im pretty swamped, nor do i read fast. a few pages here and there. lol

nate

16 years ago
Have you seen I, Robot before? The three Laws of Robotics are based heavily on Isaac Asimov's novels. Very good.

16 years ago

i have seen it. it was ok. i do remember those laws. thats cool that there is a connection like that. thanks.

nate

16 years ago

Based heavily?  He invented the Three Laws.  (Karel Capek invented the word robot, but that's another story.  Asimov did invent the words "positronic" and "robotics")

Asimov wrote the original I, Robot.  His science fiction is some of my favorite because he didn't just write about the techie aspect, the cool gadgets and stuff- he was one of the first to really extrapolate a discussion of the human condition.

Also, he invented the sci-fi mystery. 

You know, now that I think of it, it's funny that I like him so much- his writing style is almost completely opposed to mine.

16 years ago
Strong. You're right, Asimov was a scientist primarily and indeed invented the three laws of robotics. The movie doesn't do it justice at all. The Foundation Trilogy was really, really, really good and I don't like sci-fi that much. And I am aware there are two? more books, but the trilogy itself was the original and is the best. I think his grandson helped write the last one or something.

16 years ago

There are, I think,  seven "volumes" of Foundation proper and the Robots series and Empire series are also in the same universe. 

Yeah, the original trilogy was back in the fifties.  In 1965, it was voted "best series of all-time"  (Anyone else think we should have a new vote?  Maybe in 2015.)  In the eighties, Asimov wrote two sequels, and then a few years later, a couple of prequels.  There are also five or six Foundation novels written by other authors.

You know, Foundation is another one of those series like Narnia.  Asimov published a list of what order he thought the books should be read in, and it's not the order in which they were published.  Just like C.S. Lewis.  They're actually numbering the books in the asinine way "he wanted them to be read"-- that is, chronologically within the fictive world, rather than in the order in which they were published.  This makes Lion, Witch,Wardrobe the second book of the series!!!!  

Arrgh!  We discover Narnia as the Pevensies do!  If we already know who Aslan is, and what Narnia is like, it fundamentally alters our perception of the story!!!

Just like the people who think we should watch the Star Wars series in fictive-chrono order!  If we already know that Vader is Luke's father, that whole moment in Cloud City is nothing!!  The entire essence of Luke's journey will be changed!