Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 6/27/2012: Automatically rejected as part of the FWW clean out.

The Medium Between Featured and Normal

16 years ago

I find it really wierd that there are a lot of good games that are not featured, but still get the same amount of pts. I'm talking about games rated 6+, but are not rated. We Have 'Featuring' already. Could we have 'Plus Storygames'? these would be worth 25 pts to the publisher, so featured games are still a long way off, but this still gives the author the distinction from regular games. There are a lot of good games that are close to the bar but not quite there. We should give them credit.

16 years ago
Agreement.  WW2GS is right in this catagory I think.  I think they should not be displayed on front page but be given a Moon in stead of a star on the game page.  Half way there.  I like this.

16 years ago
Yes, I agree, but in a way it sort of makes the rest of the storygames look pretty crap, as all you'll have left is stuff which is the equivalent of "You vs. Cana". Its up to the admins, but yes, there are some storygames that deserve a lot more recognition.

16 years ago
yeah, i think that a mass extermination of the rated 1 games should be conducted :P:P

16 years ago

Said extermination is planned; check News and Updates.

16 years ago
WW2GS although in most catagories (say modern adventure), would be like this but in EE, it should be featured.

16 years ago
Hey Rommel, not a bad idea for this site. I like it

16 years ago
I think all games that are not featured, but rated 6 or above should be in this category. 6 or 5 is a bar most games fail to reach...

16 years ago
The only reason I say no is that means that all that are left are just storygames with a bad rating, which means that the site "average" storygames are overall not that good. They should be given extra points if the mods like them, or automatically if they get above six in ratings after being played by seven unique people, but they shouldn't have their own category.

16 years ago

I see what you mean, October. I'd like to go with getting bonus points if your game hits the 6 mark, however, the more people that rate a story, the more their score changes. Usually, with time, it will just go down from where it was. So, if just one person rated the story, and gave it a 6, would they deserve bonus points? Or would a certain number of people have to rate it that well? I'm not sure how it could be done, and still be balanced.

As for a seperate category, I don't think that's needed. When you go to view all the stories in a story category, and it lists them, you can just click on the word RATING in the top right, to sort the games according to their rating, thus all the games with good ratings get grouped together for that category.

16 years ago

i agree fully with doc oc and tsmpaul, they bring up very good points and how about we make it like tsmpaul said, you get a bonus if a certain amount of people rate it, but it has to be membered influenced too... but iguess thats already incorporated in the rating system itself... so...

16 years ago
changed title... didnt need to... o well...

16 years ago
Im with Octsolopaul (FRIEKING AWESOME USERNAME THERE)

16 years ago

Octsolopaul - the Ultimate Story Writing Triumvirate...

or was that mister Berstriketsm ?

16 years ago

LOL haha!!!!  Octsolopaul Berstriketsm

wow! LOL!

16 years ago

Hyde:    can u imagine what we could create muhahahahha!!!
dr Jekyle:    we could never unleash this on the site, it could cause chaos!!

OOoooooOOOooo! alright, its late, lol!

16 years ago

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!

Noo the ultimate triumvirate would have to be:

MadSoloPaul

16 years ago

It would have to be a quintumvirate;

Octsolopaulmadjjj

16 years ago

nooo!!! it would have to be a sixtumvirate:

octsolopaulnatemadjjj!!!!

16 years ago

But october hasnt made any games.....

madJSoloJpaulJNate

16 years ago
hehe, but october would be my scripting associate/scripting aide lol, cuz he knows scripting!

16 years ago

yeah but you know it  better lol.  OK well heres teh scripting people.

OctsolomadpaulP

16 years ago
Just want to make it clear in my post that I said that 7 unique people would have to rate it to make an average of six. As in you have to have had at least seven members rate it to make an average of 6+.

16 years ago
i saw that

16 years ago
I never mentioned a category. Are featured games a category? No. I'd go with JJJ; having the moon icon instead of the star, and I'd set the bar at 6. The 'Silver' storygames should be placed in a normal category same as the featured ones.

16 years ago
maybe we can leave them in the individual catagory pages and jsut give them a moon?  If we put them up on the main game page then it leaves so few games that are "normal".  (Well not that few but still)

16 years ago
lol that was what I meant by 'same category'...

16 years ago

Sorry!

I thought you meant like putting them on the main game page with the featured games.  If you meant the same thing as me then great idea.

16 years ago

Yep. Games like:

Lance's Test Your Knowledge series

Postie Rips it Up

WWII GS (if it doesn't get featured)

Mage of King's element quiz that was just released

In short, games that are good or almost good enough to be featured, but have better competition. Also, if a game gets unfeatured, it should automatically go here (unless it sucks.) So a DZD game for example...

16 years ago
I could add the Tower II from my games to that list.  I think it should be worth 50 poitns as well.

16 years ago
50 pts sounds a little high: featured games should still get far more. I'm thinking 30 pts

16 years ago
True enough.  Agreement.

16 years ago
I don't have any problem with giving extra points to people who make good storygames, but just don't go telling everybody else that they're better than normal by using a moon symbol, because then all the games left without a moon or star symbol will be crap, and that'll be looked at as 'the average'.

16 years ago
Go count how many games are rated 6 or more.  Find out what the percentage is.  Then talk about averages.

16 years ago
This is a great idea

16 years ago
Yes, Do It!

16 years ago
By my count there are 54 games rated 6 and up!
There are 392 published.

Thats 13.77% October.... I dont see how that makes every game without a moon or star look bad...  Since only 13.77% will have them... Now please come on...

16 years ago

"I don't have any problem with giving extra points to people who make good storygames, but just don't go telling everybody else that they're better than normal by using a moon symbol, because then all the games left without a moon or star symbol will be crap, and that'll be looked at as 'the average'."  -- October

I totally agree with October. 

Basically, everything on the site will then be coded as "special" or "crap."  That's really what it seems like you're suggesting.  If only 14% are marked as 6+, it ends up making it look like the rest of the games are not worth reading/playing.

Every game that is any good at all will be marked special, and the author given extra points.

Do we really need a "medium between featured and normal"?  The very title seems to say that "normal" is kinda sucky.  Shouldn't "normal" be "pretty good, but not quite feature-worthy"?

I have a lot more to say on this subject, but I have to go. . .

16 years ago

Normal is not 6+ though.  Who said in the first place that normal was taht good...

If your game is 6 or up your in the top 14% of the sites games...  Just cuz those games get a moon or a star does not make the other EIGHTY SIX PERCENT look bad.   I bet people had the exact same argument for featuring games.

Its just like a middle ground.  Almost like runners up.

If your only interested in playing the 14% that are rated six up, then how is a moon going to affect that anyway.  Adding a symbol is not going to stop people from playing 86% of games or start making those games look bad...

16 years ago

The 'normal' on this site is 4-going on-5. There are many games below it, but they suck. It is games rated 4 and 5 that are 'normal', and this is actually halfway up the ratings ladder-exactly where you would expect them -

1-soon to be deleted 2-these just plain suck 3-just good enough to stay on the site 4-lower limit of 'normal' games 5-upper limit of 'normal' games 6-something special 7-featureworthy 8-frontpageworthy.

This is what the ratings truly mean. If there are so many games under 4, then that just means the writers need to make better storygames with more effort, or improve on their existing ones. Maybe the above list should even replace the ratings chart to give people a better idea of what they are actually telling people.

There has been too much confusion around this topic, but it all seems to stem from the fact that there is NO definition of normal. Here it is: 'A game in the middle of the ratings spectrum (ie-4 to 5), that is not a boring waste of time, but not a gripping masterpiece either.' There is a suprising lack of these, because most of the games produced on the site are rated 3. We have to shift the gears people! If your story is rated 3 IT IS NOT NORMAL!

I think I see an article here...

16 years ago

I agree on everything but one point.

I don't think ratings will affect what makes the front page.  Thats all gonan be March's decision.

16 years ago
Front Page Worthy. I agree. Nor should the featured games be up to ratings. But there are only 2 games rated 8 after being rated a reasonable number of times: Mommy and Light Space.

16 years ago
True enough but I'd rather see Ulysses on the Front page rather then Mommy.  And I also think a maximum of one front page game per person lest we get repetitive. (SAy you dislike Sci/fi and three Paul games are up there).

16 years ago
good point.

16 years ago

Shit!!!!

I meant Ulysses rather then Light Space!!! ZOMG!!! Mommy is the best!!!!

16 years ago
lol, freakin out much?

16 years ago

Well, that's JJJ's equivalent of heresy. But he's right. Ratings alone shouldn't decide.

16 years ago

heresy?  Yes... X100000000

16 years ago

lol

16 years ago

What can I say... I love my mommy....

2 Posts to 10,000

16 years ago
87 to 10,100

16 years ago
Im way ahead of that lol.

16 years ago
Damn, I almost had to send the meese horde after triple J again ;). With this idea though, sounds good, and I like the moon idea too. I think the only things barring this idea are twofold: 1) we still have the problem of anonymous f*cks leaving stupid ratings either high or low, depending on how they feel toward the author (though this will be cured soon, see accepted ideas) and 2) What Paul said about if it goes down in rating eventually, as most tend to (which may be due to point 1).

Strong!

16 years ago
limit one vote per IP.  The only problem is that like for me I often have friends over and they rate stories, and my sister has an account so its not exactly fair.