Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Favorite books

16 years ago
Hey everyone,

As you may or may not know, I'm working on a myspace page for this site. It's almost finished, but I'm fleshing in some of the writing, and I think it's important that under the category "books," we have a wide representation of user preference from this site, rather than me filling in a bunch I like.

Therefore, I would be very pleased if each of you would post one or two books that you consider your favorites. I know it's hard to choose, but if everyone responds with like ten books the list will probably be immense.

I'll then take all of them and put them in.

Thanks!

Favorite books

16 years ago

Do you mean favourite gamebooks, or do you mean favourite novels?

If novels, My favourite is probably "Across the Nightingale Floor" (Tales of the Otori 1) by Lian Hearn. Also, I'd have to pick a David Gemmel book, though that's hard cause I like nearly all of his books, but I'd probably go with "White Wolf". Actually, I like all the books I've read from both of those authors' series, but I'll stick to those two.

Favorite books

16 years ago
Either would be fine, if by gamebook you mean chooseyourownadventure type books.

Favorite books

16 years ago
Peeps - by Scott Westerfeld
A New Kind Of Dreaming - by Anthony Eaten

I have many more, although I think those two are my favourites.

Favorite books

16 years ago

Oh, I really enjoyed Across the Nightingale Floor. . .

My favorites, though. . .

Have to get back to you on that. . .

Favorite books

16 years ago

All right.  I'll say Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov.

There are so many books, madglee!!  How can anyone choose?  There are so many different kinds of ways for a book to be favored. . . 

Favorite books

16 years ago
Okay fine, everyone just list as many as you want. There aren't enough responses anyway. That's an awesome choice Sethaniel. Nabokov rules.

Favorite books

16 years ago

Have you read it?

Anyway, if I get as many as I want, I'll say Death Note by Tsugumi Ohba and Loveless by  Yun Kouga -- both manga series.

Favorite books

16 years ago

Artemis Fowl - Eoin Colfer, Angels and Demons - Dan Brown, Are You Afraid Of The Dark - Sidney Sheldon

Favorite books

16 years ago
Nope, always meant to, though. I read Lolita - hmm, I think I'll read that again. Is the whole book poetry?

Favorite books

16 years ago

No.

If you take the book literally, the first half is a 999-line poem by John Shade.  The second half is the footnotes/exposition of the poem by Charles Kinbote.  It's also a story about the King of Zembla.

The thing I love about Pale Fire is how much critical thought there is around it.  The initial interpretation is that Shade's poem is about his life, and that Kinbote is insane, and probably thinks he's the King of Zembla.  But there are people who think Shade's poem is mediocre, and Kinbote is the real genius.  There are Shadeans, who think only John Shade is real, and that Kinbote was made up by Shade as a narrative device.  There are Kinboteans, who think only Kinbote is real, and he made up Shade to tell his story about Zembla.  There are people who draw parallels between Nabokov's own life and the book.  There are people who believe there's a second story hidden within the text that can only be understood if you've read it once before. 

Nabokov said certain things about the book, and there's a whole discussion about that, as well.  Mainly focusing on whether the author can decide things that aren't in the text.  Such as, if the book doesn't say what happened to a character after the story ends, does the reader have to believe the author if he later tells you what happened?

Also, it's beautifully written, like all Nabokov's work.  He's the most brilliant lyricist.  I read his books and despair.

Favorite books

16 years ago
No one else has favorite books? I'm going to start making stuff up, then.

Favorite books

16 years ago

ehhe, maybe i should make a double account and post a few more of my favs and then madglee will be happy -- o darn! i wasnt suppose to say that aloud :P

Favorite books

16 years ago

Favourite Gamebooks: The Lone Wolf series by Joe Dever

Favourite Authors of novels (too many books): JRR Tolkien, JK Rowling, Ian Irvine, Matthew Reilly, John Marsden, Christopher Paolini, Dan Brown, Jack Heath, Isacc Asimov, Harry Turtledove.

Favorite books

16 years ago

PRACTICAL MAN MISSED SOMETHING PRACTICAL AND OBVIOUS! YAY! THE WORLD IS RIGHT AGAIN!

lol.

You could just post more of your fave's on your account lol.

Favorite books

16 years ago

the objective was to make madglee happy lol! not make myself list more of my favs...

Favorite books

16 years ago

My favorite authors:

Tolkein (j.r.r)
Colfer (eoin)
madglee (jay)
Turner (paul)
Brown (dan)
Rowling (j.k)

in no particular order.

Favorite books

16 years ago
ahah, yeah, madglee, can u put tsmpauls book in the book list, i think that would be supremely appropriate!

Favorite books

16 years ago
As soon as it gets here lol.

Favorite books

16 years ago
(lol paul turner is tsmpaul)

Favorite books

16 years ago

So I figured

Favorite books

16 years ago
and I cant wait to read his novel Ulysesses the full version taht is being shipped to me :D :D :D

Favorite books

16 years ago

I haven't seen it finished yet myself either - should arrive in my mailbox in 9 or so days, I hope, then I can approve it and sell it. Though I don't think I can picture my name on a list that has famous people like J.R.R. Tolkein, Dan Brown and J.K. Rowling on it :)

I made sure to mention this web site in my book, so I hope that will bring more people to come and visit us and join in!

Favorite books

16 years ago

Tahts a very classy thing to do.

Thanks tsm!

Favorite books

16 years ago
Life's Lottery by Kim Newman and The Oath by Frank Peretti.

Favorite books

16 years ago
The Color of Water by James McBride and The Wish List by Eoin Coifer

Favorite books

16 years ago
omg wishlist was awesome lol!

Favorite books

16 years ago
YEAH THAT ROCKED!!!

Favorite books

16 years ago
eh, Sis a better Colfer than Whishlist. Both good though.

Favorite books

16 years ago
Whats sis?

Favorite books

16 years ago
I read parts of Sis but Wish List almost put you IN the story. I could visualize almost every moment

Favorite books

16 years ago
I got taht with Artimis Fowl.

Favorite books

16 years ago
GROWL! I just wanted fav books to post on the myspace site for this site. :) I altered my previous two books only solo ;), since no one was responding. I'll fill more in later, but good idea, I'll put Ulysses up there.

Favorite books

16 years ago
No, really, wahts sis?

Favorite books

16 years ago

stuff

Favorite books

16 years ago

My favorite book is most definately...uh, hard to choose. I love almost all classical books, anyway. I love anything J.D. Salinger and many of the Stephen King/Dean Koontz novels. I have a thing for Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut, bless his soul.

Hmm... I also really like Edgar Alan Poe's book, which is basically a buttload of stories and poems by him. I dig Schindler's List, but it's a pretty slow and aggrivating book at times. I wuv First Blood, because of the damned grittiness! So awesome!

Geez. This is hard, because I don't want to betray my good ol' fellas, you know?

Hah, I know. I'll just say my favorite book is Weeping Clocks, by yours truly! That way, I'm self-loving, but not cruel to any of my favorite authors. Yippee!!

Favorite books

16 years ago
You are alot like Sethaniel.

Favorite books

16 years ago
Am I?  

Favorite books

16 years ago
Yeah, your both very full of yourselves.

Favorite books

16 years ago

Probably...

Favorite books

16 years ago
haha, I was kidding lol.

Favorite books

16 years ago

Oh...

Eh, heh, heh, heh... Of course... 

Favorite books

16 years ago

Yeah I know, sometimes with a face like mine, its hard to tell...

oh wait...

Favorite books

16 years ago

XD

I've decided that my favorite book is Blue's Clues ABC Adventure.

Favorite books

16 years ago
AHHAHAHAHHA ME TOO ME TOO!!!!

Favorite books

16 years ago
My fave book is probably Dragon Rider (off topic)

Favorite books

16 years ago

Actually you brought it ON topic,

Wahts it about?

Favorite books

16 years ago

Probably about a guy who rides dragons...*

*Not proven 

Favorite books

16 years ago
My favorite is the Harry Potter series. I also like Choose your story books too.

Favorite books

16 years ago

HP series are definintly well written.

Favorite books

16 years ago
lol, 4 posts to 10000

Favorite books

16 years ago
I know, I think J.K. Rowling is a great author. She was really poor before she wrote the Harry Potter books.

Favorite books

16 years ago
Wrote the first one in a Coffee Shop lol.

Favorite books

16 years ago
What a lucky lass! It's hard to nail a #1 bestseller on the first try.

Favorite books

16 years ago

Yeah i know, she wrote it on a napkin in the coffee shop. lol from that to a top author known worldwide.

Favorite books

16 years ago

It does make you wonder... what will be after Harry Potter?

(I hate the way the replies thin out to the right... It's soooo annoying!)

Favorite books

16 years ago
I hope for a sequal. I love the books, and would love to see a sequal, but also we have to find out what will happen in book 7. Harry Potter, and the Deathly Hallows.

Favorite books

16 years ago
She says two of the characters are gonna' die. ;_;

Favorite books

16 years ago
i know, I heard. It will be suspenseful.

Favorite books

16 years ago
yup

Favorite books

16 years ago
Ashen_Snake, you can reply to the first post in a topic in order to bring the posts back to the left.

I don't reckon J.K. Rowling will continue writing after the Harry Potter series. I don't know why, but I just don't think she would.

Favorite books

16 years ago
He already did that in this thread dude lol.

Favorite books

16 years ago

Hm... Do these threads go on and on, without any pages, too?

I wouldn't like a sequel. As much as I like (not LOVE) the Harry Potter franchise, there comes a time when you just need to stop. Besides, two of the characters are gonna' die, and if it is truly Harry who's going to kick the bucket, then there's no point to make a continuation afterward.

Is anyone worried that the Harry Potter movie cast will be too old by the final movie?

Favorite books

16 years ago
Well if it comes out once a year then wont they be exactly how old Harry would be in real life?

Favorite books

16 years ago

Well, #1 came out in 2001, #2 came out in 2002, then #3 came out in 2004, #4 came out in 2005, and then #5 came out in 2007... The actor's 18 right now...

So, he's almost the right age, I guess. Man, they make these high-budget movies quicker than I thought!

*not a Harry Potter fanatic* 

Favorite books

16 years ago
They shoulda pulled a LOTR and done em all at once I guess...  or at least do em once per year

Favorite books

16 years ago
well, as long as they hurry up, im happy, not that i am a fanatic, but i love watching these movies in the theatre lol!

Favorite books

16 years ago
lol I prefer the books.

Favorite books

16 years ago
yes me too. but i like spending money on something i know i wont be disappointed about...

Favorite books

16 years ago
true enough but I have a foolproof solution.  Get your parents to buy it lol.

Favorite books

16 years ago
the book is about a dragon who has trouble because humans have all of the world, and there's no where else to go, so he looks for this one sanctuary, and along the way, he meets a young human boy who knows A LOT about dragons and he wants to come along, so they let him.

Favorite books

16 years ago
oh yeah I started taht book but had to return it to the library cuz the school year ended

Favorite books

16 years ago
lol, public library

Favorite books

16 years ago
too far away lol.

Favorite books

16 years ago
You'd be surprised how many good books you can find at a local Goodwill...

Favorite books

16 years ago
Whats a goodwill?

Favorite books

16 years ago

Basically a thrift store.

...You don't have 'em?

Favorite books

16 years ago
We have thrift stores lol :D

Favorite books

16 years ago
weve got goodwill here!

Favorite books

16 years ago
same.

Favorite books

16 years ago
ok..WHAT THE HELL IS GOODWILL?

Favorite books

16 years ago

Ehem...

'Basically a thrift store.'

Favorite books

16 years ago
ok........, do u have a salvation army?, or a value village?

Favorite books

16 years ago
OH I DO, I DO... Oh wait... lol.

Favorite books

16 years ago
i know you do!!!

Favorite books

16 years ago
I got Dragon Rider for my birthday from an aunt and uncle when I was ten. I didn't like it, and I didn't last year either, so I gave it to my little sister. She seems to love it, but I'm not sure if she's actually reading it or not.

Favorite books

16 years ago

LOL I HATE THAT!!!!

Favorite books

16 years ago

I've never actually heard of Dragon Rider... I've heard of Eragon...?

Oh god, this is just sad. My mother's pregnant right now with my brother. One day my grandma leaves a text message on my dad's phone, and is all like: "Oh God, I have the PERFECT name for him! How 'bout Eragon? It's so cool sounding!"

And you could hear my dad sigh and look at the phone like it was insane.

Favorite books

16 years ago

HAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHH

Imagine the teasing it gets at school lol.

Eragon is alot better then dragon rider Ashen.

Favorite books

16 years ago
ya, that's VERY true, but the book is confusing

Favorite books

16 years ago
No way! Book rocks! Movie is lammmmeeeee.

Favorite books

16 years ago
That movie had a couple of all-time worst lines of dialogue.

Favorite books

16 years ago

OH GOD! I know...

Favorite books

16 years ago

name some, i fell asleep during it.

nate

Favorite books

16 years ago

Really? It did? I always assumed that videogames stole the 'worst dialogue' award...

I never even bothered to watch Eragon. Did it follow the book okay?

Favorite books

16 years ago
No, not well lol.

Favorite books

16 years ago

Curse them! Curse them to heck!

Favorite books

16 years ago
lolz, the movie is gosh darn horrible.

Favorite books

16 years ago
Is it as bad as Plan 9 from Outer Space?

Favorite books

16 years ago
never saw it

Favorite books

16 years ago

"I suffer without my stone" -- and -- "To the sky, to win. . . or die!"  That one even rhymes!

Um, why does Malkovich call it a stone, anyway?  He knows it's a dragon egg.  The only reason he needs to call it a stone, is because we "don't know" it's an egg yet.

And Murtaugh totally got shafted in the movie.  He's barely in it.

Favorite books

16 years ago
Yeah its retarted.