Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Important Question - Please Help Me Out

16 years ago

Hey guys, i've been writing Uproot, and i have progressed pretty far with it. But now i have realized that, with 61 pages into my story, i have "no possible way to lose". Is this alright? Does this make my game bad or is it just a style of CYOA?

Basically what i have right now is a story, where you get to pick some of the character's actions and you read what happens, but currently i have no option of death or you lose or anythign like that, is this fine?? The ending is planned to be perilous where the main character could die/lose.

I wish i could get someone to read my story and see if its good without death/youlose, but there is a problem with that because its 61 pages and the majority of pages are very long in length, it would take up too much of the person's time.

So all this comes down to is something i've asked at least twice now: is it alright to have a very long story without any chance of losing until the end?

16 years ago
Are there alot of links?

16 years ago
61 pages, 80 links...

16 years ago
Sounds O.K. then, maybe add more links though.
Maybe.

16 years ago
thats what i am thinking, add a part where its completely user chosen  and it makes for more links, more cyoa, but will it still be okay without death/you lose?

16 years ago
Probably.

16 years ago
I really don't mind. I would like to see another game from you Solo. You can do that if you want.

16 years ago

not a big deal solo - just make sure the STORY is interactive, and not just a game where the only decisions you make are how to kill things.

march

16 years ago
alright, so, i dont really understand what you mean by  "how to kill things" but i understand what u mean by keeping it interactive... alright, thanks for the feedback all, and keep it coming LOL!

16 years ago

Whjt march means is.

There is a goblin

A) Attack it
B) Kick it
C) Flamethrower it
D) Stomp it.

NEXT PAGE

There is a dragon

A) Attack it
B) Kick it
C) Flamethrower it
D) Stomp it.

ETC.

OK, my feedback.

If you can't lose at least make it hard to advance.  Use intricate item puzzles or variable puzzles.  It doesnt have be be hard to stay alive, but if not, make it hard to progress.

16 years ago

ahh okay, because i have it that you read what he does in a battle scene, and then you choose what you want AFTER the battle scene (i.e. tie the dude up, kill the enemy off, knock him unconsious..etc.)

and i will make it hard to progress... but i will have to think of this more when i get to an appropriate part...

16 years ago
Sounds good to me.  It sounds original.

16 years ago

well u can always take a sneak peek with the link:

http://www.chooseyourstory.com/Story/Uproot.aspx

16 years ago

Dude that must be liek 500 words per page. I dont wanna start til Im ready for some epic reading lol.

16 years ago
lol exactly my point, so much words that its hard to get someone to play it and tell me if what i am doing is okay...

16 years ago

Heres what Im afraid of:

You make it easy to win so that people could just click through links,etc.  Then they leave low ratings cuz they didnt read it all.  MAKE IT SO THAT THEY NEED TO READ EVERYTHING TO WIN :D

16 years ago
that is very true and i should have thought of that!

16 years ago
Like just add one really hard puzzle near the end that is only possibel if they kenw something from teh beggining, got an item or whatever.  That would totalyl be awesome!

16 years ago
yes! that is an awesome idea!! !lol, and its a classic editor game btw

16 years ago
WTF UPROOT IS CLASSIC? THATS FUCKING AWESOME!

16 years ago
ahahah!! LOL omg!! lol, yeah! thats why i am having a lot of issues that i post...

16 years ago

DUUUUUUUUUUDEEEEEEEEEEEE

Classic?

THAT ROCKS!

16 years ago
heheh thank you

16 years ago
If this works out, and im sure it will. Then double major awesome props man!

16 years ago
haha thanks!

16 years ago
Not a problem.

16 years ago
In answer to the original question - of course it's okay to have a story with no way to "lose", as long as there are multiple outcomes or some reason for the player to feel that their actions had an impact on the story's development.

16 years ago
Good points.

16 years ago
I agree with all of Seth's points.
My first couple stories weren't going to have death scenes in them at all - I used to feel guilty killing off the player. Now I'm throwing death scenes everywhere, but anyhow, 'winning' or 'losing' a story is just a 'game element'. I don't think you need to have 'lose' pages if you don't want, as long as there are multiple ways through the story, so that the person feels like they were interacting with it, and had fun doing so.

16 years ago
Thank you all for your feedback! They are all very very very helpful! Seth, i love the feedback you gave me, and paul, same to you!, i think it all comes down to is that as long as there are choices, it will be fine!

16 years ago
amen

Thank You Everyone

16 years ago

Hey guys, i wanted to say thanks to you all for giving me your feedback, you may have noticed that nate didnt reply in this thread, but he did e-mail me with some feedback, so this thanks is also extended to him. lol, he said that it was chooseyourSTORY.com and not chooseyourDEATH.com lol! Also, the empire (dv) let me know that he supported the feedback that some of you posted, so the thanks is also extended to him. You all do not know how much this has helped me because i was honestly thinking of redoing the entire game...

Again, Thanks guys, your all awesome!

solo

Thank You Everyone

16 years ago
Welcome Solo, cant wait to play it.

Thank You Everyone

16 years ago
well,  i cant wait to publish it LOL!

Thank You Everyone

16 years ago
I know the feeling lol.

Thank You Everyone

16 years ago
I previewed it. Looks like it is coming along well. Nicely done, Solo.

Thank You Everyone

16 years ago
From what I saw, I agree,

Thank You Everyone

16 years ago
agreed

Thank You Everyone

16 years ago
but you nver prievewed it lol.

Thank You Everyone

16 years ago

OMGNJANFKANSKFNAKJLSFNLKASNFLASNFLANSFLNSFJLNAKLFnALF ASfas

i am so pissed right now, i wrote about a page of description on one page, by mistake i hit my touchpad and it triggered someting to make the browser go back, and because im using the RTF editor, i lost all that work!!! AJFJASJFDNASJFNKAJSFNKJASNFJKASNF

buttom mashing doesnt make you feel better ;:(

Thank You Everyone

16 years ago

OH GOD I HATE THAT SO MUCH!!

Recently Ive started randomly copying my text (Control C, notl ike physically copy it) so if that happens I can just paste it.

Thank You Everyone

16 years ago
this is the second time its happened to me in uproot, except the last time i was lucky it was only two sentences i lost. after that i started copy/pasting, but now ive forgotten to do that, and the worst part is... i cant remember exactlly what i wrote!!! and i just took the last half hour to write it all :(

Thank You Everyone

16 years ago
That sucks majorly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You Everyone

16 years ago
ya, i feel yo pain

Thank You Everyone

16 years ago
Its one of the worst feeligns ever

Thank You Everyone

16 years ago
ya, good thing i'm not havin it