Non-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Thread

Keep up with the latest contests and find out what's been changing with the site.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

It's September 1st - giving everyone exactly two months (Deadline is 1 minute before November 1st) to get their stories together. 

Announcing:  March's Madness.

Rules:  To qualify,

1.  Your story must have been CREATED and completed during the contest period.  (no pulling up old unfinished games)

2. You are NOT allowed to use variables, score, scripting or items.  If we can't print it, it doesn't qualify

3. Your story cannot be over 100 pages long.

4. You must work on the story by yourself.  No group stories.

5. It must be an original work of fiction.

Prizes:

1st Prize: Contest Trophy, March5th00's Trophy, a printed (hopefully bound?) copy of your work, a write up in the new magazine, 300 MAG points and $75

2nd Prize: $25, 200 MAG points. 

Honorable Mention:  The number of honorable mentions (if any) and the honorable mention prizes will be determined at judging time. Could be Experience Points. Could be merchandise. We'll all be surprised.

All storygames published between September 1, 2007 and October 31, 2007 will be automatically entered into the contest.  These rules are subject to change (but not likely to) at any time!  Please either send me an IM with any questions or here on this forum. 

Good luck

March

September Contest!!

16 years ago

how can you tell when a game was started? just interested. i just might try to do something. of course ive said that before...

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago

Hmm. I wish we had summer months to do this, but activity was little to none so I understand the timing. I love march for putting a maximum of 100 pages on it, it means that length will not be criteria/unimportant part of judgement.

I read this about 5 minutes ago, and hit the reply button, then alt-tabbed, and im too lazy to hit the back button now so i apologize if this has been answered, besides march, who else is judging?

Also, I would consider this if i had a good idea, which i do not at the moment. However, I am gonna rummage through my thoughts till i can find something... good enough. :P

Love ya march! this contest is gonna be awesome!

September Contest!!

16 years ago

id say march is the only judge, since of course there will only be like 3 stories to choose from. however, my question, being better than yours solo, is in regards to stories that were started but never published previously. from what march is saying is that those wont count but how will you know when they were created?

nate

(of course i am joking with you solo)

September Contest!!

16 years ago

March, Choco and Alexp will be doing the judging for this contest.  We will however take everybody elses opinion into serious consideration in our final decisions. 

As for the creation date, all games are now tagged in the database with the date they were created for just this reason.  I'll be randomly checking entered games for their creation date (we can't pull them all up at this time with a form) so I guess you could try your luck if you have one already made. 

march

September Contest!!

16 years ago

interesting. sounds good. i'll have to seriously ponder a concept. kind of tapped right now though. maybe we can create a game of the year idea, that way the whole year is taken into consideration for the best of htat year. oh well. i wish i could come up with something. a western...star trek...never ending story tribute story....

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Lol. Dammit, I was working with my friend Ray on some craziness, but that will never be finished in time. Okay, I'm going to attempt to fulfill this. Wait for it, wait for it....

September Contest!!

16 years ago

All storygames published between September 1, 2007 and October 31, 2007 will be automatically entered into the contest

2. You are NOT allowed to use variables, score, scripting or items.  If we can't print it, it doesn't qualify

I'm assuming you meant all storygames published . . . that meet the criteria of rule # 2 will be automatically entered into the contest.

(look, the only correct use of a lacuna in my ellipsis-riddled speech)

September Contest!!

16 years ago

Wow.. Hope y'all have fun.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Triple J I expect something from you brother, otherwise I'm coming to get you man.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
I'll write if Primates loses 500 points.  If he doesnt im not writing on this site anymore.  Period.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Why are you so upset about primates?  What exactly did he do?

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Pretty much the same thing as Simpsons.  I wrote all the admins a week ago, didn't freak out on the forums, been a good little kid and still nothing.  Yes he got his game deleted, w,e so what.  Im so sick and tired of this, people who do this need a serious repremand.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
I don't see how the gameplay could be different without getting on someone's nerves, I'm figuring that out right now, so you need a one-way trip to the desert.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

I think Im going to create something small. Like choco's robotology story, where it was not very long but it was stil entertaining. I have an idea in place, but I dont know how to make it short. Maybe i will think of something else.

Also, jjj you should try for this contest!

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Personally, I just like reading contest-entered stories. Always the best.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
bump

September Contest!!

16 years ago
As in the more sexual bounce or the pot in the road generating a rocky bumpy ride? Which bump is it March... Which bump...

September Contest!!

16 years ago

Is any story created during that time frame considered in, or do we have to announce that we're in? (by the way, I'm in)

September Contest!!

16 years ago
sounds fun ill give it a try

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Ooh, a competition! I had a great idea a couple days ago for a short sci-fi alien invasion/thriller story. I hope I'll have enough time to write it for the competition!

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Well, good luck to all who enter! Heh, especially you, csf. *muffled laughter* No really, give it your all, man.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

A question about the rules: To clarify - it says what we are not allowed to use in the game, does this mean we need to use the classic editor for you to print it, or can we still use the advance editor but not use the variables/score/scripting/items in it?

September Contest!!

16 years ago

granted, im not march, however i would say that you could use the advanced editor. the only thing they need to print is to keep it simple, whenever there are variables and scripting, it gets too complex to print.

nate

2007 Contest: March's Madness

16 years ago

it's a good question.  Feel free to use either editor as long as you refrain from using any of the advanced features of the editor.  I didn't specify it, but pictures are ok (just try to keep them sized appropriately).

Good luck everybody.

march

16 years ago
okay, im quite sure i posted something here. Did i dream it up or something, cuz now i am doubting that i hit the reply button...

16 years ago
You said that same exact thing a while ago.

16 years ago
no i didnt. and if i did, please provide a link because i think im losing my mind here :P

16 years ago

So let me get this straight. A game I made a while go (but put quickly ob hiatus) can be in the contest?

(maybe a mod could message me more detailed rules cuz these ones are a bit confusing??)

thanks and good luck to all who participate,

DS

16 years ago
No, it cant. Has to be started sept. 1 or later.

16 years ago

HOWEVER it's easy to copy an idea from one game to another, if there's not much done yet.

march

16 years ago

thats exactly what i did. i had started a story just like a few weeks ago. only have a few pages and mostly ideas. so i just copied and pasted it. good luck all. im hoping i can get something done.

nate

16 years ago

CAn't make a good game in two months. Looks like i'm out.

riley

16 years ago

darth!  It's only 100 pages!

march

16 years ago

oh, yeah...I can try, i guess. I'm not too bad a writer, i guess...

riley

16 years ago
Come on man! Give it a shot! I guess you're stuck on the basic story, huh?

16 years ago

Don't know if I can write a good story in less than a hundred pages, I can't stand the basic editor, but i'll give it a shot anywqay.

riley

September Contest!!

16 years ago
I might do it. I am making my "Who is Mr. Cadioz" game, I was planniong on making it a simple game....

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Quick clarifier, if i use the adv editor, can i use chapters or do i have to keep it all in one chapter? cuz i know that long ago when printing stories was being tested by alex, chaptered stories didnt work...

September Contest!!

16 years ago

Chaptered stories are fine - you HAVE to remember the page limit however.  This goes across all chapters. 

march

16 years ago

OOOOK

If you've already started your story go ahead and continue it in any editor you'd like HOWEVER if you haven't it looks like it would be significantly easier to print the game if it's made the basic (rather than advanced) editor.  So please make your story in the basic editor for the contest if at all possible!

march

16 years ago
I have a Albus Potter game with just one variable. also I started it August 31st. Is that okay if I enter it from late august.

16 years ago

for this contest you are not allowed to have any variables.

nate

16 years ago
Oh okay. I'll rid it then.

16 years ago
Strong, Ipod/Simpsons creature for asking about Aug 31. Very honest of you. +rep.

16 years ago
haha, told ya so, march. hehe i had a feeling that would come up...

16 years ago

Will plot be judged more importantly than length... i will explain further because i know these stories are to be short.

What I mean is, if we have a really good plot, but the story happens to contain less than 50 pages, will this short length matter as long as the plot does not seem rushed?

16 years ago
I'd say look at Snow.

16 years ago
hmm very good example!

16 years ago
Albus potter is only 25 pages now. But It's fun. With a kind of different storyline. Yuo can make different choices. It's going ot be no longer then 70-80 pages. But about 150 links. It'll probably be fun. I hope it will be.

16 years ago

Another rules question. If I made something without using the variables or scripting features of the advanced editor, could I do something instead like in a Fighting Fantasy paperback book, with the player using a piece of paper and a pencil and a physical six-sided die, to do things. Ie, instead of having variables for Strength, Hit Points, etc, using variables, you could have the player write those things down on a sheet of paper. In the story you could say, roll the dice. If you rolled a 5 or 6, turn to page... if you rolled 4 or less, turn to page... instead of having the computer automatically work it out using scripts. Of course, a person can cheat by just clicking any link they want, but hey, you could do that when reading the books as well.

16 years ago
Yeah, that sounds fair to me, you're not using variables then.

16 years ago
Argh, I hate the basic editor it's hard to organize the pages.  I'll try though.

16 years ago
If your talking to me Madglee no I'm not using variables. I really don't need them in the story.

16 years ago
I was talking to March, he said that while you don't HAVE to use the basic editor, makes it much easier to print the winning story.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

I'm not quite sure how this works, but Ducky Park has been finished and I would like to enter that one.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Is it under 100 pages?

September Contest!!

16 years ago

Not only that, but it meets all the other criterea as well!

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Oh, okay. Not bad, not bad.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Lol. Thanks. I read the rules before posting the story, I just wasn't sure if we had to announce it or if ALL stories that are posted between those dates (and meet the other criterea) count as entries.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

Three answers.

1. TSMpaul - that sounds like a very original idea.  It certainly meets the criteria of the contest as stated above.

2. Solostrike - size doesn't matter (for the sake of the story anyways...).  there is no such thing as too small but remember not to go over 100.

3. Donteatpoop - ALL stories that are entered during the contest period are automatically entered into the contest.  If the story doesn't meet the criteria it will automatically be eliminated from the contest.  There is no need to announce your entry.

march

September Contest!!

16 years ago

If you are not clear as to what qualifies please ask.  I'd hate for somebody to start a finish a story and find out they didn't qualify. 

It's easy to plan - if it's not printable, it doesn't qualify AND it has to be less than 100 pages. 

So no advanced features.  This contest is based on story, not creative use of the engine.

march

September Contest!!

16 years ago
i made the game in very late August. I'm halfway done. Please can I enter.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

Sorry, the answer is no.  You can always transfer the idea to a new story.

march

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Never mind. The game was too far into it to change. I just published it. So everyone play it.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

...sad... i just wrote a paragraph on my first page in my story... time it took to write: 45 minutes...

sigh.... *prays for the ability to write quickly, without errors*

September Contest!!

16 years ago
*makes loud noises and exaggerated movements, whilst praying for solo*
lol

September Contest!!

16 years ago
sigh... another paragraph, another half hour gone... sad...

September Contest!!

16 years ago

hehe, its september 16, which means after 16 days of the contest, i have got 2 pages complete in my story...

*retreats to a corner from all the laughter and fingerpointing*

September Contest!!

16 years ago
No offense, but you've got to be kidding me.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

solo is writing a short story. a reeeeeeeeeally short story.

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago

A reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeealy short story means another 16 days of writing :P

Hehe, anyways, one of the hardest parts for me is trying to NOT make it theatrical, like "only one man could stop them!" and whatever else you can think of along those lines. Another hard thing is trying to make you forget your "playing" a game, and instead your immersed in a "story". With uproot, it was part game part story (there is a driving scene), so it was a little easier.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

Okay I gotta admit, I'm a little- nay, EXTREMELY annoyed that we can't have variables and it has to be under 100 pages. Like, REALLY ANNOYED. But anyway, there is a slight possibility that I MAY enter. Maybe.

Still, at least some more quality will come to the site.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
It's a good idea. I know you guys liked Mommy, but really it's a big game, albeit a complex fucker, but while I'm pretty good at writing or wordsmithing, I'm not sure I'm the best storyteller, really. I'm looking forward to this. :)

September Contest!!

16 years ago

Awwww, does that mean you have to write an actual story? You're not scared that your writing skills won't be able to stand on their own, are you?

(sorry, thought maybe you needed a little smack-talk to goad you into producing something)

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Hey, I suffer from Personal Intimidation Syndrome myself! Insensitive poophead! lol

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Guys, 8 days left. I doubt I can finish my story. Here's my preview though.
http://chooseyourstory.com/story/Duplo,_The_Dual_Ringed_Planet_0x3b__A_Classic_CYOA_Story.aspx
I'm about 1/5 of the way done

September Contest!!

16 years ago

we have till october, read the first post by march.

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Still, my teacher's gonna be furious which means ALOT of homework.
That puts me behind still
Also There's been like, 3 stories created this month.
Thanks anyway.
By the way, do you like my story?

September Contest!!

16 years ago

so you arent even gonna try? we all have work or homework. ive got a 10 page paper/100 page book to read/3 tests/ and a wedding to worry about. atleast try. as for your story, didnt look at it. its a demo.

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago
No I'm still trying. I'm just saying that because it's been sitting in my mind for bout 3 hours.
Good to get it out

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Oh yeah I get the months between July and December confused some times also.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
I rather wait for a complete story that I'll hate than a demo I'll hate. Not that...I hate it...or anything...um.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Okay, understandable.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
I've had 10th grade homework. But I've still made two stories. Both of them are a 6 length. One of them is rated 5, and featured, and one of them is yet to be rated. I just finish the work, and make the games. I measure it out so that I can do both. Like since today is Saturday I worked 4 hours on finishing my Darkness game..

September Contest!!

16 years ago

You did indeed let two games out and one is featured but I think, had you spent, another say; 10 days collectively on them for the purpose of spell checking and proofreading alone, they would be vastly improved.  A few non-linear paths would help too.  All I'm saying is that just because you get these two games off, doesn't mean that someone who gets one, complete game (spell checked, non-linear, etc) hasn't done more work.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

Ah well. The next one better have advanced allowances, coz the games im making now will be entered in that, I reckon maybe even win, or second at least.

Anyway, like I said, I look forward to some creation, seeing as this site has been pretty dead lately...

September Contest!!

16 years ago

man, if i knew everyone would be scared to do this contest i would have spent more time on mine. this is a shoe in for me. lol

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago

Scared! Ha! I laugh in the face of nonexistent danger, and in the face of the danger of entering an institution for laughing continuously at nothing!

Basically, I just don't wanna spend forever on a game when I could probably get more money spending that time working. I'm just gonna keep doing my games I am now.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
calling a mantra with a blade in the skin
for the demons within
i feel the pain is the death and decay
but the lesson never fades away
too little shadows, turn away
you throw the man through the window pane
another slave and a victim of fate
another lesson in hate
burning inside! burning inside!

That's my reply to that statement, Miccy.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

maybe im just not cultured or anything, but i dont get what you are getting at madglee. interesting reference though, thats from back in the day. is it in response to miccy's nonexistent danger? or whatever he said?

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago
I have no idea what I was talking about.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

" love march for putting a maximum of 100 pages on it, it means that length will not be criteria/unimportant part of judgement."

- Sorry Solo but I think your wrong on this one. By putting a cap of pages on it hes actually making length MORE IMPORTANT.  See now a linear game of 100 pages might go through 60 pages whereas a non-linear game with multiple endings will feel infinetely shorter because the reader might only go through 20-30 pages of the story.

By capping the length hes actually probably made it the deciding factor.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

i think your last statement is accurate 3j. "Probably made it the deciding factor." its possible, but it all depends on how people look at it. However, a story can have 2 links per page and still not be linear, and still go on for awhile. TSMPaul should enter this and make it easy for the judges lol

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Oh I'm entering....  And it wont be a completely multi pathed story either.  It will have an element of linearity but not like path of darkness or anything.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

great, another entry. i wish i could work on my story. theoretically i can, but kind of distracted at the moment. i just keep the site up while im on for the sake of the forums. ive currently only got 13 pages. :(

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago
13 more then me.  But I have 70 pages outlined.  Once Im done with the outline putting them in shouldn't be too difficult.  Hey can you send me a PM with who you knew I "was"?  Im curious to know how you always know lol.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

sure, but ill ask you what you use to outline your story. ive tried paper, some computer programs, but nothing consistantly. how do you go about it? all my best stories i have used an outline, i just need to find something consistantly.

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago
"

P35: Start: You dive under a table, waiting for the enforcers to leave.  They do, finally.  You slip out.

End: You proceed to the surface, wondering how the hell enforcers got down below.

Go to Page: 41

P36:  Start: Picking up a gun from a nearby table you scream in fury, whilst taking out two enforcers.

End: A 3rd one comes for you.

Go to Page: 42, 43 "

I use Microsoft word, heres a quote from two of my pages.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

just word huh? i was hoping for something different lol but thats fine. i used word to work on The Interogator. i may go back to that method. its so much easier to have an outline. easier to write the outline than story too. thanks.

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago
I also very often add pictures to the pages on word and use bolded words, etc as focus points for the pages.  I love flow charts as well.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Oooo! If your looking for an entirely pointless and completely time consuming way to do it, you could use powerpoint :D

September Contest!!

16 years ago

powerpoint? lol that would be great if someone actually spent that much time doing that just to write a story. although, ive used Powerpoint for studying. its pretty cool.

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago

Yeah its fun to use, I did a project on the Arthurian legends (so fond of those) for social studies with it one time.  Did one on the Romans as well.  We had a crazy info tech socials teacher :D.

Another method that jsut might work would be to just use the editor, and just instead of writing use notes.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

i do use that technique. usually ill try to write and when i get done writing for the day ill leave notes on the last pages i wrote. where i want them to go, what i want to include, how long i want it to be, whether its a main path or not, and so forth.

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Thats a really good idea.  I JUST finished my planning.  Now onto writing.  (Insert name here, only one person knows what its called) should be done withen a week.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

I'm surprised how few entries there are at this point.  My hope is that all of you are waiting to publish your stories until the last minute because your ideas are so unique. 

Just so we're all on the same page - DEP is in the lead!

ALSO remember I did NOT put a limit on the NUMBER of stories that you can enter.

march

September Contest!!

16 years ago

recent events have sort of stalled my progress. but ive still got the story and hope to have it out before the time limit. however, i feel that if Tsmpaul doesnt enter then DEP will get it easily.

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago
WooHoo! And I have a retarded kid named Ricky to thank.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Don't say "WooHoo" so fast there, Mr. Poop, I have a little story called Forsight that could give you a run for your money. Plus there's a whole 'nother month for the other guys to throw a story up against you.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Ooooooo... Alter egos, interesting.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Ouch Fleshy.... Ouch.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

lol you think that will encourage some action? ive always wanted to do a little taunting to get people to write more. id love to see a story every week, but thats still a long ways away.

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago
A story every week? I'll try..... :D

September Contest!!

16 years ago

oh am i happy to have him back around.  that's like music to my ears.

march

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Well if your not going to give me moderation powers, at least give me my trophy back.... :P

September Contest!!

16 years ago

how many weeks you think you can go with writing a story/week? 3-4?

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago

0?  I have no idea, honestly.  I was being sarcastic.

By the way, my "story that most do not know the name of" is officially out of planning and into writing. 1 Page down, 95 to go.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

i was hoping you werent being sarcastic, but it would be unrealistic to expect that from any one person anyway. oh well lol. but, thats why i started the writing work shop challenge a few weeks back. i was hoping to encourage ideas and get more people writing. but it has fizzled. maybe around christmas break it will be better.

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Well this story im working on is going to be 96 pages.  I wrote twenty pages of planning and 5 pages of actual writing in the last hour.  (its not some low quality crap either, believe me).  So thats way less then a week we're looking at here.  Plus this is a contest calibre story.  So who knows maybe its not as unrealistic as it seems.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

I think im gonna withdraw from the contest, i got too many things to do. i can barely get the pirates game done with nate (sorry! i will get it down ASAP) . Clubs are starting up at school, and i gotta find some outside-of-school organization to join, so it looks good on the university application next year. anyways, i will continue writing the story but it wont make it for the contest (i.e. more like next summer).

September Contest!!

16 years ago
That improves my chances

September Contest!!

16 years ago
You don't have a chance. Didn't you see that I already entered a story?

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Your right, Chance doesn't properly explain the oppertunity that I have to win this contest... Chance implies that theres a possibility that I wont beat your game....

September Contest!!

16 years ago
With a spelling prowess like yours it looks like it's hopeless for me after all.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Thanks!  (I know your not being sarcastic because I actually copy and pasted my last post into Microsoft Word to make sure there were no spelling errors.)

September Contest!!

16 years ago

"Your right, Chance doesn't properly explain the oppertunity that I have to win this contest... Chance implies that theres a possibility that I wont beat your game...."

Right. Word told you to spell opportunity like that? Did you capitalize the word "chance" in the middle of a sentence on a whim, or did Word suggest that as well? And was it Microsoft's idea to avoid using apostrophes and to spell "you're" without the 'e' at the end?

Are you sure you aren't using an alternate version of Word? - http://forums.handloads.com/uploads/bentbarrel/C1EE1_microsoft_word_write_letterz_n_.jpg 

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Pfft.  First of all, the "you're" thing did not get a little squiggly red line like most spelling mistakes do.  So maybe the English language is on Acid and Microsoft Word isnt....  As for CHANCE, thats grammar not spelling.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Right; I forgot, grammar has no place in a story.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

Err. Heck no.  (I was gonna say something else there but caught myself just in time. Infinite-story had a bad influence on me).

September Contest!!

16 years ago

I think my idea was better suited for a novella, rather than a CYOA. Partly because i had a really effective path, and smaller, less effective paths, and partly because the idea itself isn't suited for a CYOA.

Hmm... maybe i could do somehting like the classic CYOA, with random plot extensions, but still entertaining... and very very short :p

(psstt. nate, this weekend is a long weekend, i may be able to finish off pirates for good :P)

September Contest!!

16 years ago

CANADIAN THANKSGIVING FTW!!!!

September Contest!!

16 years ago

There's tons of ways to get around actually altering the story and still making it interactive fiction. For instance, with only one or two alternate plots, you can write a slew of rooms by simply switching the perspective of the story. Have an option to continue on from the POV of another character. Or have the reader select a character at the beginning, telling the story twice (or more), but from different points of view. This can add a lot of depth to your story, since it allows the reader to experience everything from more than one perspective.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Hehe, that is what i did with Uproot, i have four character perspectives in that one. Alas, it would not work well with the idea i have right now.

MAG Contest

16 years ago
27 Days and counting everybody!

MAG Contest

16 years ago
I gotta get on the ball here (argh, cliche) and stop messing about. I have a few ideas, I'll get something in.

MAG Contest

16 years ago
Errrrg. Im screwed.

MAG Contest

16 years ago
Mines 20 pages done.

MAG Contest

16 years ago

MAG Contest

16 years ago
Over Halfway

CYS Contest

16 years ago

3 weeks everybody!  Can I just remind you that the winner gets "1st Prize: Contest Trophy, March5th00's Trophy, a printed (hopefully bound?) copy of your work, a write up in the new magazine, 300 MAG points and $75"

ALL OF THAT FOR LESS THAN 100 PAGES OF STORY!

Good luck!

march

CYS Contest

16 years ago

Honestly, this should have been effect for August and September rather than sept and oct. School is just being a bugger to me right now, i would have wrote 100 pages in the month of august if i were given the opportunity for a contest win...

CYS Contest

16 years ago
You can just start printing Ducky Park out now, march. Save yourself some time down the road.

CYS Contest

16 years ago
Pfft. Captured is better then ducky park.

CYS Contest

16 years ago

I guess I should post in this thread to mention I'm officially in the contest now.

CYS Contest

16 years ago
Isn't Necromancer more than 100 rooms?

CYS Contest

16 years ago
Wait, nevermind. I saw your post in the Necromancer thread.

CYS Contest

16 years ago
You ruined my life endmaster.. HAHAHAH just kidding.

CYS Contest

16 years ago
Not necessarily. One of the ratings for Necromancer is a 2. So at least one person (so far) thinks it sucks.

CYS Contest

16 years ago
There are always the rebels who have their favorite games and vote everyone elses down in a vain effort to be a dumbass.  Of course, stray ratings dont count anyway.

CYS Contest

16 years ago
I'm confident that I'll be done before the end of the contest.

CYS Contest

16 years ago
80 pages in!

September Contest!!

16 years ago

"1.  Your story must have been CREATED and completed during the contest period."

Making an exception for Necromancer?  Technically it was NOT created during the contest period.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

im pretty sure he means created on CYS. so i think its in. but thats just my thought till march shows up again.

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago

Yeah... that's a tough one.  The way it was written is that it had to have been created at CYS during the contest period - to encourage original ideas and to keep people from having an unfair advantage from stories that were almost completed before the contest was announced.   We never really thought about moving stories from infinite-story.  Still, lets say you wrote down a story on paper and decided to move it during the contest on to this site.  THAT would be eligible right? 

I'll hash it out with the other admins but I'm thinking it actually does meet the criteria of the contest.  Since we didn't before I'll announce it now - while we welcome all of infinite's stories here on the site, only the ones already entered are potentially eligible for the contest.  Fair?  I'd like to hear both sides on this one.

march

September Contest!!

16 years ago

I'm sorry march for putting you in this position -- but its a really unfair advantage against the rest of us.  He could do that and then release another one...  Grrrr!  I've spent a long time writing my story and if it loses to a copy and pasted one, I will be a bit frustrated.  I'm not the only prominent member that is complaining about this either.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
I don't have a problem with getting disqualified, but I wish someone would've brought this up before I went and changed stuff for the story to fit the contest criteria.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

i agree endmaster. your story should be included. it fit the qualifications and you specifically changed your own story to fit them. im behind you here.

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago

I asked march in detail whether Ducky Park would be eligable for the contest because it was written for infinite-story a long while ago. He assured me that as long as it was published on CYS between the appropriate dates and didn't have any variables, that it would be eligable. Therefor, necromancer should be eligable too.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

agreed - a decision I wasn't expecdting to be challenged (though now I understand).  I still stand by that decision obviously - and will qualify necromancer as well (Endmaster - it shouldn't be a shock that people are intimidated by that story for the contest!) 

I should also note that I'm very excited about this contest - the content being put out is fantastic!

march

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Alrighty.. I see where your coming from.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
I haven't had a chance to start writing yet. I hope to enter but it's becoming increasingly less probable. I agree that lots of good stuff has been coming out!

September Contest!!

16 years ago
For my sake, I hope you dont :) rofl.

CYS Contest!

16 years ago

A little over two weeks is MORE than enough time to write a short story!  Remember - 50 pages is enough, 25 is enough - if it's written well! 

march

CYS Contest!

16 years ago

question....

whenever we delete a page in a story it still counts on our story page count right? therefore, if we make a story of 130 pages and delete 31 it would still count as 130 right? or am i wrong?

the reason i ask is cause i have a history of writing a full story and then deleting and combining pages. therefore, i need to know if its worth writing 100 pages and then deleting and making more pages...

nate

CYS Contest!

16 years ago
I'm pretty sure that if you delete it, it lowers it? Doesn't it? Thats a pretty major bug if it doesnt.

CYS Contest!

16 years ago

ok, i just tested it and it works fine. once you dlete it your count goes back down. i just thought that i heard that it didnt somewhere... maybe the page ID thread. not sure.

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago

"I expect something from you 3J, if not I'm coming to get you" - madglee.

NO NEED TO COME AFTER ME MAN :D

Anyway now the tables are turned...

September Contest!!

16 years ago

well, if i can just get off my back side and type it, i actually have a story written out. i just need to put it in the computer.

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Like March said: You've got plenty of time. Same idea as people still having the ability to pass me in your tourney.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

Plenty of time is right. 

The final story needs to be 100 pages or less.  Doesn't matter how many you delete or create!

march

September Contest!!

16 years ago

Well I hope it matters how many you create actually....

September Contest!!

16 years ago

I should note that I'm making a point (for the most part) of NOT reading contest stories until the deadline is passed - so feel free to go into those stories and tweak things if you'd like.  We have just under 2 weeks to go!

march

September Contest!!

16 years ago

Can you give us your judging catagories?

Story, Description, Grammar, etc?

It would really help.

EX:

Grammar: 15
Story: 50
Description: 20

etc.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

scoring criteria!  PFFF!  Just know this - you should write an engaging story.  If the spelling / grammar takes away from the story then it could hurt your story.  If I did have to break it down though, it would look like this:

Story: 100%

As far as judging - it'll look kinda like this

March's opinion: 25%

Chocobot's opinion: 25%

Alexp's opinion: 25%

Community Opinion: 25% (I read the comments of regulars / strong writers on the site)

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Pfft.. March's opinion should at least get 30...  Maybe 35...

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Just out of interest when will the next contest most likely be?

September Contest!!

16 years ago

On rating stories, March said: Community Opinion: 25%

Doesn't that imply that people have to actually read the competition stories and leave a rating by the competition date? Community can't have an opinion on a story if they haven't read it to know if it's good or bad, so a story only read and rated by one person, compared to a story read and rated by 20 people, wouldn't really be a balanced way of knowing how the two stories compared, would it?

And yes, I know, I should probably read more of other peoples' stories myself...

September Contest!!

16 years ago

1. Next contest will be late next year? 

2. TSM - I don't look at the rating so much as the rater.  I like to read the opinions of all of you regulars on the site - Madglee, Flesh, Seth, JJJ, etc.   It helps me to keep your ideas in my mind.  The rating can be fixed in your favor, but nobody can change an opinion that's left on a story.

march

September Contest!!

16 years ago
I'm entering Terra Proxima: First Strike. I made it in record time and have just finished it.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

well, im officially frustrated. i spent a good 30 minutes typing out a key page in my story and then i get an error. lost it all. its just one page but it was the big 'hey pay attention to this page cause it could potentially tell you where to go to beat the story so listen up. also there are a few hidden clues in there to find other places as well.' page. ugh! i posted here cause it was in my story that im trying to enter into the contest. i have most of the pages up, but im currently working on fleshing out the pages. right now they are just outlines. dont think im gonna make the deadline though. i keep missing them for some reason. oh well.

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago
I feel your pain, thats so harsh.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Ouch. Have you heard of Microsoft Word? You should try writing it in there before posting it; helps with spelling and grammar errors too.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

ooooh sorry flesh.  Yeah when you lose one page, that's a good indicator that it's time to throw in the towel

COME ON!

march

September Contest!!

16 years ago

this is extremely late but anyway, DEP, I actually dont have word right now. I was usuing a free trial. i own it somewhere, but i recently moved and the disks are in a box somewhere lol

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago

You have two days left.  If you haven't even STARTED a story, think of it like school - i mean come on, nobody ACTUALLY does anything til the night before

good luck!

march

September Contest!!

16 years ago
True; First Strike took me ~3-4 days

September Contest!!

16 years ago

hmmm,. i sense your sarcasm in the last 2 posts march. lol i doubt ill make it. even though yes i always wait till the last minute in school to do homework. but i did that for one of the last tournies on here (The Family 2) and it didnt turn out so good. ill probably just keep fiddling with it until its finished. (2 decades from now).

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago
And it wasn't a bad story.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
I'm almost done!!!!  Wait for me!!!!!

I'm not really expecting too much.... but I am hoping. *O*

September Contest!!

16 years ago

I wonder who will win? I just hope that I beat JJJ.

Remember ppl! Terra Proxima: First Strike > Equilibrium

I notice not many people have actually played First Strike. I basically tried to make it somewhat-similar to Magus crossed with Lone Wolf crossed with Unreal Tournament, but many ppl now seem not to want to play it for this reason. On the other hand, the few ppl who have played it have left it good ratings, so I guess that cancels it out.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

of our older members, id say TSMPaul, but Endmaster has a good chance too.

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago
I see no need to advertise my game here.  Good luck to you Rommel :)

September Contest!!

16 years ago

I can't tell if that was sarcasm or not... <scratches head>

I am ENRAGED that even modified copy and pasted stories are qualified; while they meet the criteria, they undermine the gist that everyone else goes by.

This means that people like JJJ, fleshy and me have to put up with people getting uber-long stories from other sites- stories probably taking them MORE than the contest time to actually make. This is equivalent to me turning 'Battle-Race on Europa into a storygame, waiting for the NEXT contest, then actually typing it up. It is unfair and undermines the work of us poor joes and slobs who work feverishly for a week or so at the end.

THIS CONTEST WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE A TIME LIMIT!

This loophole undermines:

Time Limit: It was created in the dim past

Originality: It was not first made on this site, it is a duplicate of your story on another site or on paper

If anyone supports me in this, we can form a petition. Also, sorry March but undermining the gist does the same as break the rules.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
I'm actually with Rommel on this one but its way too late.  Definintly could have been handled differently.  IE: Asking for a broad member opinion.  Voting, etc.  Call it what you will (intimidation, fear of losing, etc..), it still totally undermines the "gist" of the time limit.  Oh well; only proves me right.  Length will be the deciding factor.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
I only just found out... This is nuts... This is the kind of thing to avoid... LAUNCHING LAST DITCH SUICIDE PLEA TO ALL MEMBERS TO COME AND PROTEST!

September Contest!!

16 years ago
That comes across (at least to me) as overly desperate.  After all, its not like Endmaster should be held responsible for this.  He's definintly raised the bar; quality wise site-wide.  I'm just dissapointed with the way two specific users handled the situation.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

<latches on with dead man's grip>

If it's the last thing I do...

September Contest!!

16 years ago

I don't think that a human holding on to a tree (Rommel to his idea) will stop a bulldozer from dozing it over if the driver has the will to do so (March).

September Contest!!

16 years ago

When my body gives out it will alert my para-lawyers, suing you in a $$$$$ly lawsuit to get the money to resurrect me...

quote: Chuck an employee out a window these days and they phone their lawyer on the way down...

September Contest!!

16 years ago
Note that March said something along the lines of 'you can only use other ideas in this if you are not that far into those storygames'. I'm with you on this one, Rommel. Although I don't have anything against EndMaster (if there was no time limit then I'd definitely vote his to win), or DEP for that matter, I just don't think it'd be that fair if they won. I don't know what to say about giving them an honourable mention though.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
He also said that if the story wasn't created during the contest date -- it wasn't eligible for the contest.  Those stories technically were NOT created during the contest date.

September Contest!!

16 years ago

"Your story must have been CREATED and completed during the contest period"

They were only "Switched" during the contest date,

September Contest!!

16 years ago

I've already discussed this issue with you guys.  The rules made no mention that the story couldn't come from infinite.  This is NO different than if you guys had written a story on a pad of paper (that may very well have taken you much longer than the two months of the contest), but didn't set it down on the site until the contest time.  The CREATED had nothing to do with when you set pen to paper - it has to do with when you made the story on this site. 

Those stories met all the qualifications of the contest.  future stories won't count for contest entries if they were posted first on infinite-story.  The two stories posted before that clarification will count.  end of discussion.  there is no reason to be jealous of good story writing guys - let the best story win.

march

September Contest!!

16 years ago

Rommy, i think it is sad that you would claim to not be coming back, then notice that there is a contest coming up and then return.

"It is unfair and undermines the work of us poor joes and slobs who work feverishly for a week or so at the end."

and i also find it sad that you would only work for the last week remaining to enter the contest. the ultimate goal here, (which supercedes any contest), is to put quality work into a story to improve this site. not to rush for 48 hours straight to finish a story you just started. madglee backed out of this contest for that very reason. you can get upset over someone having a better story than you in the contest, but its your responsibility to be ready for all entries. clearly you were not if you waited till the last minute to even start.

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago

To answer your rant

- I just HAVE put quality work into the site.

- I HAVE put quality content into the site before.

- I got bored, I saw a contest on... That message should have announced my comeback from hiatus, not my permanent leaving... I'm still embarassed about that ok! I regret not having more time to put into the contest. It is not easy to make a good game in that space of time you know...

September Contest!!

16 years ago
I'm sorry that I may have come across as jealous.  Two people have told me that now so I admit that it seems like I did.  That was not my intention.

September Contest!!

16 years ago
On a somewhat more positive note <Intellectual Rommel shoots Arguing Rommel in the head> when are the entries being judged?

September Contest!!

16 years ago

id say once the search for Alex ends lol. where has that boy been? he has went into hibernation or something.

nate

September Contest!!

16 years ago
We're going on a bear hunt, etc...