Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was accepted 11/7/2008: Accepted!
This feature was completed 11/7/2008: Completed!

Top stories ranked by rating

16 years ago

From best to worst. They have this on infinite-story and it helps when looking for a good story, but you're not sure where to look. The featured stories on here help, but what if you want to read the top 10 stories on the site? How would you go about this.

Actually, if you check infinite-story out (not plugging them, just using them as an example) you'll see that there are a lot of ways to filter your search for stories. Something similar to that on here would be awesome.

16 years ago

agreed - we had this "tagging" idea that we were supposed to get off the ground, but it's impossible to get alexp to program anything anymore.  I guess I can't blame him. 

Shortly we will have a top list for both advanced stories (with items / variables / etc) and a top list for basic stories.  Something tells me that Madglee will be at the top of one list, and Endmaster on the top of the other.

march

16 years ago

DeP - here's a list of stories you might want to try that are not on the top 5.  For basic stories try Magus Betrayal, The firebird, and 331 Oakmount drive.  For advanced / speciality stories try the "locked out" movies, 8 goals and 28 rolls (more of a game), Haunted, Devil's fire & Free Hand.  there are other great stories, but that's a start.

march

16 years ago

Some others:

Fight to the Death, The Journey, Magventure (more GAME than STORY), Star wars, Jurrasic Fairview Park, Finals Week, Wal*Mart Game, The Tower, and Mattias.

There are some other good ones *cough*Dead End*cough* but those are the ones off the top of my head.

riley

16 years ago

16 years ago

It's sad the way that ratings are done on this site.  I only just recently noticed it.  I guess there's no such thing as a 7.5 on this site - because all 7 ratings are created equal.   So how do they make the top 5 list?  By being newly created, with so many ratings (they are ranked first by rating then by StoryID).   This is why whenever a new story gets a rating of "8" it automatically makes it to the top of the list.  NOt because it's necessarily better than Mommy, but because it has a higher StoryID.  UGH - I know. 

In 6.0, though we won't start using a decimal place (which would be the best way to do it) the 7's and 8's will be thrown in there randomly instead.  It's a small fix but should at least be more fair.

march

16 years ago
Why not just do a decimal place?

16 years ago

Turns out it's an awful lot of coding.

march

16 years ago

Dang :(

Thats too bad.

16 years ago

I understand the idea of "newest at the top."  It's a good way to recognize writers who are currently contributing.  I like the random idea though.  Since "all sevens are considered equal" and all that.

Just as a thought- is there something you could do regarding number of times played?  It would be cool if we could see which storygames on the site have been played most often.

16 years ago
#1 has GOT to be the Walmart game - at nearly 3000 plays!

16 years ago
It should be recognized for that, then.  Especially if people are talking about taking it out of the Top 5 ranking. 

16 years ago
Maybe.. but the story "Insult Eminem" has been played over 400 times (that's high on this site) - i'd hate to see that story make any top list!  Lol

16 years ago

Maybe count 8s, then?  Mommy has 88, Ground Zero has 31, Snow has 51, Mattias has 81, Magus has 61, I'm just checking random stories that have been on the top 5.

Insult Eminem has 9 eights.