Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

War Never Changes

15 years ago
I need attention. And a bit of encouragement. And a few ideas.

The big question is should I do the Normandy landing, or a little earlier - like, Italy?

If you have questions, ask away. I'm being vague right now because I want people to talk. (:P'

War Never Changes

15 years ago
looks ok, if you want encouragement then tell me more :)

War Never Changes

15 years ago
Okay.

You are Robert Ferris, the first of the Ferris family that will appear in the WNC series (see, each game has another generation of the Ferris family as the protagonist). You are part of a squad that fights in World War II. Now here's my first question. Should the game begin with the Normandy landing, or should it start earlier? This pretty much determines if the story will be long or short. I don't want to make it too long, or future installments might feel shorter. Anyway, you advance through areas, choosing how to respond to enemies using tactics. Each mission ends once you complete the final objective, obviously.
Now for some detailed gameplay. Before each mission, you choose a kit, which includes your weapons and equipment. Depending on which kit you choose, different actions open up to you. For example, if you have an Assault Kit, you have the upper-hand when fighting in close quarters. If you have a Rifleman Kit, you can kill high-value enemy targets quickly. But I hit a small snag with mechanics. I want to keep it to just one Armory page - where you choose your kit - just so it's easier for me. Anyway, how can I make it so players can exchange Kits for other Kits? You can only have one kit at a time, meaning the player must drop a Kit in order to pick up another one. After a player is forced to drop a Kit (by means of a link restriction), how do I make the same Kit respawn so the player can use it again? I know it sounds a bit too complicated, so let me know if I have to rephrase it.

That's pretty much it. Tell me any suggestions, and please answer my questions. Thanks!

War Never Changes

15 years ago

For kti changing. Have a screen with a link to all teh kits and one that says drop current kit (if owned).

Have all teh kit links with restrictions, tehy all say that they must have NO KITS.  Then the drop one has no restriction and doesn't lead anywhere, but can drop any kit.  Now, when the kit is dropped, it will go to the page where they originally could pick it up, and the cycle completes.

War Never Changes

15 years ago
Well, these Kits are items, so I'm wondering if: when an item drops, does it respawn in the same place?

War Never Changes

15 years ago
it respawns on its original page.

War Never Changes

15 years ago
Okay, good. Sigh of relief!

Now what about where the story starts? Should it begin in...

North Africa?
Italy?
or Normandy?

War Never Changes

15 years ago
The title of this thread makes me think of Fallout. Sorry to get off topic.

War Never Changes

15 years ago
Heh, that's what I was thinking. At first I thought Anubis was doing a WW3 story. (Or after WW3)

War Never Changes

15 years ago
Start in ancient times, nuby. Start with like Egypt or something.

War Never Changes

15 years ago
Hilarious, JJJ. Unfortunately, war DID change since ancient times. I guess the FULL title is War Never Changes [Since, Like, World War II].

So, I'd like an answer from you guys. NOW. lol

NOW!!

War Never Changes

15 years ago
Thanks for laughing at my idea.  I though it would be cool.

War Never Changes

15 years ago
Well, it could be cool, but maybe in a different series.

War Never Changes

15 years ago
Well, are you giving me permission to try it, then?

War Never Changes

15 years ago
No.
lol

Seriously! Answer my flipping question!
North Africa, Italy, or Normandy!!!!!111one

War Never Changes

15 years ago

It's your decision. MY advice, go for the longest possible.

War Never Changes

15 years ago
...I'll start with Italy. North Africa is a bit too shady and boring. Alright.

War Never Changes

15 years ago
hehehehehehehe.....
I thought this was about Fallout!
"War. War never changes."

War Never Changes

15 years ago
Yeah, I know that connection. Don't rub it in! lol