Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Spore

15 years ago
Anyone else got Spore yet? I'm having heaps of fun with it! Lots of little things, like, when I got to the creature phase, I wandered over to one of the other species I saw to try and 'make friends' with it - and a ufo came down out of the sky, and tractor beamed the critter aboard, then flew away! It was the last thing I was expecting, I just had to laugh.

Spore

15 years ago
Dude, where do you live? I have to wait four more days for Spore to come out. Anyway,

I'M TOTALLY PSYCHED 4 SP4!!

Spore

15 years ago

Must be out earlier in Australia...

A friend told me they heard it was out at EB Games, and I went down there, but it wasn't on the shelves. So I asked the guy about it, and he said they had it out the back :) and he sold me one.

My first creature was a friendly, social herbivore. Today I tried out a carnivore, and it was quite a different experience, as now I'm eating the critters I would have been making friends with yesterday :) Almost makes me feel guilty when my spiked, fanged carnivore chases down some cutesy looking fluffy pink thing some other player has made. Almost.

Spore

15 years ago
Oh, you're just trying to rub it in...T.T

lol Anyway, THREE MOAR DAYS UNTIL US RELEASE.

Spore

15 years ago
GOD **** YOU TSMPAUL GOD **** YOU!!!!!
I've been waiting for spore for over a year now, and the fact that I can't get it until a Sunday fills me with murderous rage..
I WANT SPORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spore

15 years ago
Same here. I think I hate you, Paul. You're an asshole, even though you aren't. lol But you got it on the third, even though it shipped on the fourth in Aussieland. WTF^^?

Spore

15 years ago
Yeah I'm 100% positive that guy gave you the game before he was supposed to
let's review the facts
1) not on shelves
2) it was in the back
3) he went to get it, but why not just put it on shelves to make it easier?!?!?
4) THE RELEASE DATE WAS THE FIFTH!!!

yeah so there we go, jerk-only not-only yes

Spore

15 years ago
Friggin Aussies, with their kangaroos and...koalas...

I'm kidding. I love Aussieland!

Spore

15 years ago
lol, I made a kangaroo alien in spore :)

Spore

15 years ago
My sister can't wait for it. I'm interested in playing it too, but not THAT much. I could wait forever actually.

Spore

15 years ago
Honestly, I can't believe that Spore is coming out tomorrow (in the good ol' USA). It still feels like I have to wait another month or something. Anyway, not wanting to jinx myself, I'll just blame it on the fact that I'm used to waiting patiently for video games.

Spore

15 years ago
Im mad :(

I got the creature creator but it doesn't work for my mac, so then I tried my brother's old laptop. I had to download directx, I did, and it didn't work (i download 8, 9 and 10 versions). So im mad :(

Anyone know how to get this working(using xp)?...Please

Spore

15 years ago
P.S. DONT GET THE DS VERSION ITS A F****** CHILD'S GAME!

Spore

15 years ago
Dude, did you download the correct version of the Creature Creator? The Demo is free, and there are two different download channels - one for Mac and one for PC. And Spore should work fine on an XP - it does for me. Anyway, YOU HAVE A MAC? Such a noob...

And yes, the DS game is lame.

Spore

15 years ago
Yes, be careful what you download or purchase, the Mac and PC have their own editions of the game.

Spore

15 years ago
Yeah, I got it the first day it came out. Definitely addictive, I played it for hours until my eyes bled. I have some complaints, though - the game's just too simplistic. I feel like I'd LOVE it if I was 8-10 years old. The concept is great, but doesn't seem to play out that well. Each stage through evolution is really easy and at times, tedious. The UFO was cool in the creature phase, but I ended up just killing everything because to ally you have to keep dancing, posing, singing, or charming in response to them, and it takes forever. Unfortunately, the combat is really simplistic. Then, at the tribal stage, anyone who's ever played an RTS will dominate in about 5 minutes. I'm at the civilization stage now.

The most fun is tinkering with buildings and creatures to make something cool looking. That's about it. I started thinking about it, and I suppose rather than it being this creative, bizarre, think-outside-the-box game I expected, it's basically the Sims 2 but with fictitious creatures and things rather than people. I didn't like the Sims very much, but I think I actually liked it better than Spore. I was horribly disappointed and I wish I hadn't paid 50 bucks for it. :(

Spore

15 years ago
Yeah, the game is really simplistic; but frankly, I found a harder time of forgiving Mass Effect of bungling the TPS part of the game up than forgiving Spore of its RTS controls. Still, once you get used to it, Tribal and Civ aren't too bad. But yeah, Space is awesome. That's the selling point for me.
The thing with Spore is that most games that announce that they're going to have a really innovative feature tend to get watered-down into a crappy gimmick. With Spore, Will Wright actually stuck by his game and didn't let his original idea get shat upon. Sure the gameplay isn't perfect, but the creators are fantastic. It's not a 10/10, but it's at least a 9/10.

Spore

15 years ago

I think the game is really designed with the space era in mind, I got through the other phases in a couple hours, but once you get to space, you can just go out and explore the universe, colonise and shape planets, and stuff like that. Changing the difficulty level does affect it though. I tried a harder setting on another character, and it took much longer to get through. On hard, in the civilisation phase I was under attack all the time, where as on easy I zipped through that phase in no time. But yeah, the game isn't very complicated.

Spore

15 years ago

Apparently, according to PC Powerplay, they watered down the gameplay and controls to make it more accessible. Like Halo 3, bastards at Bungie.

Mainstream, or "Casual" games, are watered down pieces of crap that focus on a novelty gimmick (usually an advance in graphics) to sell. They are also easy to learn and easy to get bored of, as the GAME HAS BEEN NEGLECTED!!!!! I HATE GAMES LIKE THIS GAAAAAAAAAH!!!!

There is also a quote which proves my point about selling out to the mainstream idiot gamers:

We were very focused, if anything, on making a game for more casual players. “Spore” has more depth than, let’s say, “The Sims” did. But we looked at the Metacritic scores for “Sims 2″, which was around 90, and something like “Half-Life“, which was 97, and we decided — quite a while back — that we would rather have the Metacritic and sales of “Sims 2″ than the Metacritic and sales of “Half-Life.”

Will Wright

Spore

15 years ago
It's not that I want to, but I'm going to point and laugh and mock you just because you said what you said. I just have to.

Spore

15 years ago
I think i got it figured out, I bought the demo at walmart, it works for both PC and Mac.
Cant wait

Spore

15 years ago
they sold out... it had to be said

Spore

15 years ago

Even if I had a computer that could run this, I probably would've passed on this game. Had a feeling it wasn't going to live up to the hype.

But I wouldn't really accuse this game of being "dumbed down mainstream" mainly because this was pretty much made for casual gamers and all the mainstream masses that love the Sims to begin with. (Though yeah, you CAN always make something "dumber")

Will Wright overhyped his game in the beginning and probably realized midway through that he wouldn't be able to impliment all the stuff he promised. (Sort of like Peter and Fable)

However, this is still a business which means they churned out partially finished game that would still be playable. People will grumble, but most will still find it fun enough to keep their attention.

And then in the spirit of The Sims, they'll release a crapload of Spore expansions which will "fix" all the missing and/or broken features that should've been there in the first place.

Spore

15 years ago
Ima go ahead and say wrongo pongos I love spore it's awesome, yeah the first few stages are kinda dull after multiple play throughs, but civ and space are FREAKING AWESOME

Spore

15 years ago
(Sort of like Peter and Fable)

Y'know, I'm glad I didn't read any of the hype for Fable.  I loved the hell out of that game.  Everybody says "oh, it wasn't as good as they said it was gonna be" but whatever, I loved it. 

I'm not reading anything about Fable 2, either.

Spore

15 years ago

Yeah I never followed the hype on the first Fable all that closely either, so when I finally played The Lost Chapters, I ended up liking it. Though I was reading about the hype that everyone was complaining about afterwards.

I've followed Fable 2 a little closer, but I don't think it'll disappoint me. I get the impression this one will be just as fun, if not more fun than the 1st one.

Spore

11 years ago

YOU WERE WRONG WRONG!

Spore didn't get any expansions which would bring more in depth game play and the space stage got boring after awhile.

Except maybe Spore: Galactic Adventures.

Also Fable 2 and 3 were disappointments.

Spore

11 years ago

I liked Fable 2 more than 1, but didn't like Fable 3 whatsoever.

Spore

11 years ago

I had Spore Galaxy back in Junior high, and it was soooo great. I doubt this laptop could run it though.

Spore

11 years ago
CovElite necromanced a thread just to tell me I was wrong from 4 years ago. Lol.

Well Spore didn't get a bunch of expansions, but it certainly did get a few spinoffs presumably to salvage the franchise when it was apparent that the original game wasn't the big hit that they thought it was going to be.

I liked Fable: The Lost Chapters and Fable 2 about equally, but Fable 3 was definitely a disappointment especially since the premise was sort of interesting. I'm sort of done with the series now since I can't see it getting any better.

The Fable series in general always suffered from a lot of good ideas that were never followed up on properly.

Spore

11 years ago

Lol ya, :D

I will still always like Fable 1 the best, though Fable 2 did have some improvements.

Spore

11 years ago

Yeah, the fact they were playing in an industrial revolution and political means they had a great setting for a game. Fable 2 I still love, but the original was honestly kinda boring to me, even upon replays. 

I might get another game ifrom the series if they come out with it, but I definately won't pay for the new price and I'll wait a good while for player reviews to come in.

Spore

11 years ago

Fable 1, was one of the first games of its type that I ever got to play, so it shocked and amazed me, making it a very happy childhood memory.

I sort of doubt they will make another game.

Spore

11 years ago

As do I, they severely ran out of steam with 3

Spore

11 years ago

Games are made after their series have run out of steam plenty. They will milk the game until its dry.

Spore

11 years ago

Well considering how Fable 3 didn't live up to its expectations and how risky it would be to invest in a game that now has somewhat of a bad rep and might just flop again, I think its pretty well milked, for now.

Spore

11 years ago

You know how many idiots there are in the world? If the publishers/makers say that it will be way better, people will get hyped for it, since the fans don't want t o give up on the series. They will probably milk it again, and destroy the series for good.

Spore

11 years ago
I'm sort of wondering if they'll reboot the series or if they'll just start doing spin offs like they have with Fable: The Journey.

The creator of the Fable series doesn't even work for the company he founded anymore, but given that he tended to over-hype his games to begin with, that might be a good thing.

Spore

11 years ago

Anyone ever play Black and White? I always wanted to play it, and I am considering buying it on Steam but just wanted a honest opinion first.

Spore

11 years ago

Pokemon? Yeah, I got black. It was okay, it even had a main plot line, which was impressive. Though I haven't been hyped for Pokemon since Pearl. 

Spore

11 years ago

lol sorry should have been more specific , I mean Black and White, the game were you play as a God.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_%26_White_%28video_game%29

Black and White

11 years ago
Yep, Black and White…ANOTHER game Peter overhyped.

I played the original and it was fun for awhile, but they did a lot of stuff that made it unfun.

As I remember the campaign has like 5 major worlds and that's it. So its pretty short. The first is basically the tutorial so that one hardly counts. The second world is a little better, but you still don't unlock everything yet.

The third world would've probably been where you're playing the game proper, unfortunately right from the beginning they take your creature away from you and you don't have it for like 90% of the level. Sort of an odd thing to do considering they really hyped up building up your creature and training it and such.

The fourth world is an exercise in time frustration. Basically you start on a completely hostile world where you've got cyclopes, meteor storms and I think skeletons constantly attacking your village in cycles and you have to solve all these problems pretty quickly because it doesn't take long before your villager are dead.

The last world is where you go up against the rival god, but I was already bored by the game at that point.

The controls in the game were sometimes a little wonky too, like you have to cast spells by moving the mouse in a certain way and the game didn't always register it, or registered it wrongly.

Again, another game with a lot of potential, but it suffered from some drawbacks. I don't know, maybe they fixed some of the stuff in the sequel though.

On the plus side, you could sacrifice BABIES for more godly mana though.

Black and White

11 years ago

How about multiplayer?

Black and White

11 years ago
Never played it multi-player. Maybe that's where it shined more. I can see where it might since it would just be a straight up god battle with your respective creatures.

Black and White

11 years ago

Yay for sacrificing babies! What do people come up with these days? That's almost as bad as one of your stories. 

Black and White

11 years ago

I dunno, I like the concept.

Black and White

11 years ago
You can sacrifice anything really. If you're a good god, you just take food or stuff like trees or even animals for some quick mana.

If you're playing an evil god though, you can do the whole human sacrifice. Older villagers don't give you as much mana though. I think female villagers give you a little more than male ones. Children and babies give you most though.

I found the best way to do it is to set up one male villager as a "breeder" to go impregnate most of the female villagers. That way I still got a steady supply of villagers while still having a few extra babies to sacrifice when I needed the extra mana.

Black and White

11 years ago

You're making me want to buy this game now :P

Black and White

11 years ago

I hope there was a sandbox mode.  It would be fun to just f*** around and not give a damn.  XD

Black and White

11 years ago

Like Tropico (I've only played 3). Oh my god that game's great in sandbox mode.

Black and White

11 years ago
Black and White really could've done with a sandbox mode. I know they came out with an expansion for it, so I don't know if that added something like a sandbox mode for it or it just added some extra levels. From what I know it focused more on the creatures.

And the Tropico series is pretty cool. I had the first game and I got Tropico 4 a few months ago. I also have the Modern Times expansion for it which includes more new edicts, buildings, etc. Definitely tons of stuff to play around with. The campaign is okay too.

Black and White

11 years ago

I got 3 from gamefly, but after playing I'm definately adding the others. Is Modern Times as good when communist dictatorships aren't as well recieved?

Tropico

11 years ago
Some of the Modern Times stuff delves a bit into science fiction. The USSR never really collapses and will still be around after the 90s. You do get some other super powers popping up though like the European Union, the Middle East and China. They won't invade you though if you get on their bad side though unlike the US or the USSR. The UN pops up in the campaign too.

Tropico

11 years ago

Oh, how does the UN factor into the story? I can see China being fun with international aid relief for their communist buddies, which is good because I typically go all-out communist dictator and pick the "installed by the KGB" background so I don't have to give my soldiers an education, and I'm assuming the EU would give similar or equal benefits to the capitalist dictators.

Not sure what to think about no invasions though. On the one hand, they were annoying as hell and if you didn't have a ministry by the time the gunships started circling you were just plain boned, but on the other hand it didn't happen often and it makes you obligated to deal in foreign affairs (if the free money wasn't good enough for you, which it normally isn't for me).

Tropico

11 years ago
Basically the UN rep can't stand you and is usually putting obstacles in your way to make a particular level harder like making you pay heavy trading taxes or enforcing certain laws.

The US rep doesn't usually like you either and typically makes threats that if you don't do what the US wants they'll bring "freedom" to your country.

The USSR girl is friendly to the point of being flirtatious at times.

China is always polite, even if you're not on good terms with them. They tend to like you more if you disregard human rights.

EU is like the exact opposite of China, they like you more if you have more liberty on your island. They're polite as well, but will sometimes be condescending.

The Middle East is pretty neutral for the most part, they tend to like you more if you're dealing with oil though. If you pick the "ugly" trait apparently they like you more too since you remind them of a camel.

You can still get invaded if you piss off the US or the USSR. I guess its just assumed that they're the only two big powers that are willing to spend the resources on invading you. Besides staying on their good side, you can avoid a potential invasion from either if you build a Nuclear Program which prevents them from doing so.

You get a bunch of advisers to deal with as well. They're all the reps of the various factions of Tropico. The Militarists, Loyalists, Communists, Capitalist, Intellectuals, Environmentalists and the Nationalists.

Tropico

11 years ago

Can I invade other islands in the Caribbean? While your developing a Nuclear Program will the major powers threaten you?

Tropico

11 years ago

Not in 3 at least, a large military is mostly just to decrease liberty, fight against rebels, and increase militarist respect. Although if you still let it the respect go down through poor wages or military housing, you have the possibility of a coup where the loyal soldiers fight against traitors untill one side is dead. It's mostly bad because you can lose soldiers which you'll have to rehire (especially if you lose generals in the coup, which require a college education), but it has its good side since you'll lose all of the soldiers who don't like you, which boosts militaristic relations.

However, a "large" military in Tropico is still like 20-30 soldiers since it's just a small Caribbean island, so when the US or USSR invades, the game's just automatically over.

Tropico

11 years ago

At least you have advisors this time, in 3 all you have is a little log book with text so small and hard to read it's almost impossible. So I basically just wait till the propoganda station tells me they're really angry. That or wait untill a protest, check the protestor's political alignment, then help them out after having the secret police deal with them. Coups work too.

Can you make military alliances in this game as well? I remember that in 3 you can make a military alliance with either the US or USSR, build a free military base for them, and recieve up to 2000 dollars a year and never worry about invasion. You also get a huge relations boost from the nation (which basically just serves to keep relations from falling since you need a really good relation with the nation to build it in the first place).

Do you get the additional superpowers in 4, or do you need Modern Times? Also, do all of them extend foreign aid or is it still just the US or USSR.

Tropico

11 years ago
I forgot about the Religious faction which of course is still one of the bigger factions. You can now piss them off by passing the gay marriage edict. Lol.

You can still have the US or USSR give you aid or build a military base on the island like in the older games. The Nationalists really don't like it when you do that though. They're basically the racist faction that hates other nationalities. Having too many immigrants coming in, getting foreign aid, etc.

The other super powers are still in the base game. (Again with the alternate history since there's an EU in the 1950s!) You don't get the major edicts with the other powers, its mostly simpler one off trade bonuses, like the Chinese rep wanting you to export 1000 sugar in exchange for a bunch of money. I know if you get on their bad side enough, they'll put trade embargos on your country and you start getting less money for certain exports.

One of the funnier edicts is allowing Nuclear Testing near your island. Basically you get a one time $20,000 cash bonus and a bright light completely covers the island and you can see a little mushroom cloud in the distance.

One that I never thought I'd ever use is the "Print Money" edict. Basically you get an instant cash bonus of 20,000 and ALL your buildings and edicts cost 30% more permanently due to devaluing your own money. You can do this up to 5 times which pretty much means you'd cripple yourself with such inflation. However I did find it useful in one of the campaign levels where I had to suddenly build 10 docks because the US was invading and I needed to have decoys so I could escape to another island (And continue the campaign).

In Modern Times there's an edict that puts a ban on social networking sites like Facebook. This decreases liberty but increases productivity. They broke the fourth wall with that edict too, since if you pass that edict in the game, apparently you can't access your real facebook or twitter stuff while you're still playing the game.

Black and White

11 years ago

Creature Isle(B&W1expansion) is basically to play around with your creature more and i think it allowed tournaments against other players creatures. But i agree with a sandbox mode since the majority of the mods for the 1st and 2nd game are sandbox maps.

Has anybody tried B&W2 here besides me here? 

Spore

11 years ago

I thought the plot overall was good, but the actual gameplay mechanics were pretty bland.

On a second note, hbsaljvhfbfn sdf,

Spore

11 years ago

Why was he even reading a thread from 4 years ago?

Spore

11 years ago

It's a great game! Did you know that when someone makeS a creation it gets sent around everywhere and used as the random creatures that you meet in the game?

Spore

11 years ago

I was bored, so I decided to go and look for the first Lounge post ever, and this caught my eye.

Ya I have a few creatures myself, I forgot there names but when I get home I could find them.

Spore

11 years ago

I can get whatever i want by torrent LOL JOKE! I dont support piracy piracy sucks