Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Best Michael Jackson Song

14 years ago

I say "King of Pop" and you know who it is.  Thousands, millions, billions of people worldwide know the name--Michael Jackson.  Whether he's singing something harmless, like "ABC", or something more challenging, like "Billie Jean", you know it's him and you LOVE it.  Even after death, this pop sensation has become popular.  So I want YOU to decide-Which song beats out the rest?

14 years ago
Smooth Criminal is my favorite MJ song. The song & video are great. The video has to be the best video he ever made.

14 years ago
Its hard to pick just one favourite.

Billie Jean, Smooth Criminal, Dirty Diana, Don't Stop till you get enough, beat it, you rock my world, thriller, bad, the way you make me feel... (too many favourites to pick just one...)

14 years ago

I agree, solostrike.  The possibilities are endless.  I usually switch from one to another every week!  Right now, I like Earth Song.

14 years ago
Same here. Earth song is a good song.

14 years ago
None. They all suck.

14 years ago
:O You don't know till you hear the songs!

14 years ago
Thanks for that, idiot, you've just reminded me that I've never heard Michael Jackson before. How did I possibly forget that?!

14 years ago

Haha, I like how he assumes that you've never heard his music.

As if that were even possible; especially in this age.

14 years ago
Whoever doesn't like MJ's music hasn't heard his music.

Whatzupwitu is the only song I know of from him that sucked.

14 years ago

Either that... or he genuinely dislikes Micheal Jackson's music, which is much more likely.

14 years ago
Meh, No more 80's for him then.

14 years ago
I like some 80's music, but not most of it. David Bowie is fucking brilliant, but his best stuff was between 69 and 73, I'd say.

14 years ago
loool. The Beatles are the highest rated musicians in the world, and Radiohead is the most popular for listens online.

I don't particularly enjoy either of them. (Although, the Beatles are EXTRAORDINARILY talented and have pioneered most of our music, and they get an extreme amount of respect from me. Radiohead isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, I'm just not that into them.)

The point is, you pre-teen, popular opinion doesn't dictate my taste or anyone's taste. I'm not forced to like any musician and I personally think that MJ's music is garbage. Get over it.

14 years ago

I never got into The Beatles... They just don't seem to tickle my fancy.

14 years ago
Yeah, me neither, but mad respect. I mean they could play over ten instruments each, they could compose symphony music, they released quality albums at an insane rate, and they commanded an entire generation as well as dictated the course of modern music. Like that's intense. They also covered like forty genre's including punk and metal.

14 years ago

Hm, that is pretty impressive.  Haha, but still...

People say similar things about Jackon, in that he greatly influenced todays music and what have you, but not at all to the same degree, as I see it.  Still, I don't like most of his music either.

14 years ago
Well he probably has influenced pop and hip hop but I think those genres are pretty crappy overall. Plus the Beatles influenced whoever influenced him ahahha.

But I mean, the Beatles influenced like fucking everything! Rock to Pop To Metal to Punk to everything else hahaha.

14 years ago

That they did.  That they did...

And everybody influences Weird Al! haha :p

...No, have you ever heard of the band Between the Buried and Me?  They're pretty fuckin' amazing, in that they're multi-talented.  On moment you're listening to Death Metal, and the next, you find that they've transitioned into some sort of Easy Listening type thing in the same song.  I downloaded their discography the other day, and though I've not heard all of it, the songs Foam Born: A, White Walls, and Son of Nothing are already some of my favorites.  They do get pretty long though; like, 10-14 minutes a song sometimes.

14 years ago
Definitely heard them and they aren't bad at all.

http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/between_the_buried_and_me

^^Every one of their albums has a strong rating except "The Anatomy Of" which sucked according to the opinions of that community (which are usually very good.)

Have you heard, Maudlin of the Well? They broke up like last year but they started getting like five thousand e-mails from their fans and shit, and they're a smaaaalll band which made almost no money and sold very little, so they were surprised. Anyways, they didn't want to get back together but their fanbase sent them like thousands of dollars to record another album, and they did and now it's available online, you can't buy it, only download it.

That's BAD ASS.

http://www.maudlinofthewell.net/

listen link in the bottom right.

14 years ago
(top 5 highest rated albums of 2009 thus far)

14 years ago

I didn't like that album so much either.  The one I'm listening to most often is Colors, which is pretty good.

These guys sound pretty good, Maudlin of the Well.  I'll probably download it. :D  I'm still listening to the first song though, haha.

14 years ago
There's only like 5 or so, but they're long. I can't remember which was the best, but I think it was 1 and 2 or something, I dunna, don't quote me on that lol.

14 years ago
Wasnt Radiohead the group that released their album free on the nets? I think more of the choreography or dancing or whatever you call it is what Jackson influenced, like the attitude and the new styles etc, however "music" wise, i think there are way more influences than just michael jackson. You mentioned the Beatles, I also think Madonna was a big influence...

14 years ago
Oh, of course. There isn't "one" influence and everyone has to admit that MJ was a wicked dancer.

14 years ago
Oh i also agree those genres have become stupid lately. Thats pretty much why my music library is filled with 80s music, because for me, I find there was good quality in music during that time period. There are a few 70s and 90s music as well but mostly the 80s. I even have some old rap music, when rap didnt give you a headache :P

14 years ago
I think David Bowie is an example of a musician who managed to do so many different genres well (from like classic rock to glam rock to electronica to synth) and influenced a generation.

Did you know that he turned down being knighted twice, and he was offered that AFTER HE PUBLICLY SNUBBED THE QUEEN BY PLAYING HIS SONG QUEEN BITCH WHILE SHE WAS IN THE AUDIENCE AND ESSENTIALLY DEDICATING IT TO HER. To my knowledge, nothing like that has EVER happened before. Bowie is fucking awesome.

14 years ago
He was also voted in the top 100 brits of all time, I think he was second in musicians after John Lennon.

14 years ago
I think I have only one david bowie song in my library. Basically with 80s, there were too many one hit wonders so i have alot of "one song per artist" in my library. I was never interested in david bowie.

14 years ago
Candidate (You've probably heard this)
Rebel Rebel (Maybe the song you have)
Cactus (<---Fantastic)
I'm Afraid of Americans (ft. NIN)
Oh! You Pretty Things (Most fantastic hidden message, may be the song you have)
Life On Mars?
Hang Onto Yourself
Velvet Goldmine
Ashes to Ashes (really good)
Ziggy Stardust (Absolutely incredible and probably the song you have)

All definitely worth it!

14 years ago

I still say Michael Jackson is HACKIN' TALENTED, no matter what any of you say.  He's awesome (or was.  whatever)  Anyway, you have to have respect for him, even if you don't like his music.  He influenced so many singers.  I have respect for your opinions but, REALLY--Michael Jackson stinks?  I don't think so.

14 years ago
I don't HAVE to respect ANYONE. I don't like his music, whatsoever. I feel like the bands he influenced are all extremely shitty and I don't think he was any more musically talented then the next musician in his genre (which isn't strong on talent).

That being said, he was an excellent dancer and a cultural icon.

14 years ago
Actually i have Lets Dance.

14 years ago
Figures. That's not the Bowie era that I enjoy too much, but it was after he screwed Capital Records so that was cool.

14 years ago
I checked out the songs you listed. They are not my flavour of music.

14 years ago
Totally fair enough.