Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I stumbled onto this website last Tuesday, through some random google search for a cool rpg game (having eaten most games) Got addicted right away, I heard about these style of books before but alas never ever saw any of them, anywhere. Been down with flu since Tuesday so I'm pretty much dividing my time between playing the story games on my phone, gaming on the pc, studying and sleeping.

I've been so damned impressed with the games so far that I felt a lil' praise and a 'hi' were in order, so here. So far I've played a bunch of games by EndMaster; Ground Zero, necromancer, just finished Paradise Violated for the 7th time and JJJ-thebanisher's stories; Mattias the One Knight and The order of the Midnight Sun. I love the style of writing, the choices, the storylines, just fun fun fun! =D

And checked on the background of the choose your own adventure stuff, being a history student I was a bit baffled about the mention of Charlemagne, you gotta be shitting me right?

Anyhow, tidbit about myself FYI. Studied IT, now studying history (with teachers degree).  Extreme gamer, I was probably born with a game controller in my hand, grew up with pc's, positively played every shooter on a PC, but that's always been countered by my love for RPG's (Ultima, quest for glory, Baldurs gate, fallout, The elder scrolls, lots, lots more.) Immersive, freedom of choice, verbal and graphic violence, god I love it haha. I'll probably pop in here from time to time, I'll definitely check out more stories! Oh and yes, much love to the creators of this website and the writers of the stories, I'ma leech some more textual fun!

Ack nearly forgot, for those of you who do not know of this, go and grab the game King of Dragon Pass. Its this old game that was designed back in the day for windows 95 (so your pc will run it, period.) Basically, build your own viking esque village in a fantasy setting, with event driven storyline. Now the fun stuff is, its like choose your own adventure. Blob of text describing the event, beautiful drawings depicting the event, a number of choices for you to take. Never heard of it but its a true gem, tough as nails, more than 450 different events, all with their own choices, outcomes, etc etc. If you love choose your own adventure you will bloody worship this game, trust me. =)

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago

Hola man. Thank God Almighty for sickness. You'll find plenty of great stories and I hope you write your own eventually. I also see you could be a quiet promising promising apprentice of us writers galore. History, always one of my favorite subjects.

Also, this is'll probably be moved to newbie forum.

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago
INB4yourbob

Hey, welcome to the site. Your writing's fantastic, even when it was for something as simple as saying hello. You have definite potential for writing a good storygame. Odd, it's been a while since we got a new member with such good sentence structure.

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago
Thanks for the compliment, Alkador, much appreciated. Glad you stopped by, I've moved this to "Newbie Central", it's just where all of our hello threads go. I hope we see some awesome writing out of you in the future!

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago

Best win-95 game is Activision's Battlezone. No question. The only game ever to have successfully blended action and strategy.

The best game on this site, Alkador, is Mommy, can I go out and kill tonight? with Order of the Midnight Sun, Braak the Briton, Gauntlet 2, Vengeance and the Wal*Mart game coming in close behind.

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago
Cheers for the friendly replies, I had a feeling your all a friendly bunch =) I'll try the stories, the gauntlet looks.. Tempting.

I forgot to mention I'm also an avid DnD player for the past eight years or so, did some writing on a forum style DnD game bit back and of course good old fashioned sessions with friends. We use a set of homebrew, DnD inspired rules, setting range from standard fantasy to post apocalypse. Rule of thumb being, the world is always brutal, unforgiving and lots of opportunities for those who dare. Or a swift kick between the legs and a dead character hah.

I'm juggling with the idea to write my own storygame here but I'm probably gonna enjoy the stories here first. I'm usually stoned half of the time (I'm Dutch so it's legal hah *high five*) so no lack of creativity on my side. Although I can't hope to compete with the epicness of some of the writers here, some parts get me all misty and all, really wonderful =)

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago
Fancy that, I'm DMing a DND 3.5 game on OpenRPG software. Dutch hey? That's really awesome. So are you two hours later than London? (thats a guess.)

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago

Yea I saw your thread, my friend who GM's and I have been searching for an internet DnD program/tool. As a matter of fact I abused my paranormal powers and sensed this reply coming, so I pitched the idea to him an hour or three ago when I was at his place (playing DnD as a matter of fact.) and he was rather enthustiastic.

One minor setback would be the fact that we use homebrew rules based on some archaic (dutch) DnD ruleset from the game Dark Dungeons. Never got around to 3.5 cause we never liked the whole HP business, too global.. I mean what's better than having one of the chars limbs cut off and have the others see if they leave him or carry him to the camp, or .. <insert totally random choice> haha.. Ahem. So yea, definitely. =)

Not too sure about the timezone. Dutch is GMT +1. And the windows clock in my lower right corner just told me london is gmt 0. So london should be one hour difference, one hour behind the Netherlands?

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago
That would make it nearly midnight there right (at the time I'm sending this, it's about 17:24 EST on this site)?

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago
Oh, and yes, I always thought that Hit Points and Armor Class were both absurd. There should be a DODGE CLASS and an ARMOUR CLASS for each body part. If you fail to dodge (they roled better than your dodge class), then they roll to see which body part they hit. There, your armour deducts all or some of the damage based on your armour class.

That was always my ideal system. Of course, given a couple hours, I could really smooth it all out.

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago

Aye nearly midnight, at my posting its 11:36 pm here. Is there a spot on this forum where we could open a thread to discuss to further, as to not derail this simple Hi thread any more :P Would dread to scare off any potential fans of me, obviously.

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago
You could send me a private message. (Go to my profile page either by going to one of my games and clicking my name or clicking my name in the forums or at the whoisonline counter at the bottom. Once at my profile page, hit "Send a message" on the right side.)

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago

Dude if you can join in our Sunday/Saturday game it would be epic (assuming we can get the timing right)

We've got a ranger, paladin, fighter and rogue (that's me  )

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago
The only issue that I see with this is that 4 players is more ideal than 5. Rommel, why did you ignore my PM? haha

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago

I've seen six people at once before. Besides the problem is with single player disruptions. Less people = Higher chance of a complete game.

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago
Naw, the problem is with CR ratings and Experience benefits. It's all meant for a 4 person party. That's not to say that we can't play with 5.

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago

We should upgrade to 4.0 Edition of Dungeons and Dragons after this campaign. I heard its more balanced and...(drumrolls) it has a Fullblade^^.

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago

Oh i'm pretty sure we can iron out any difficulties we encounter, a little flexibility and improv comes a long way =) Saturday evening probably not as that's usually taken, but heck rarely anything sunday evening. So doing some cool DnD'ing is more than an option for me.

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago
Sunday Evening for you (let's say 6 PM) is 9 AM for me which is 3 AM for Rommel which is Noon for Juranas and Anubis which is 1 AM for Rayneth.

We generally play at 5 PM my time which would be 1 AM your time. The reason we play at that time is because it's 9 AM for Rayneth (So we can't go earlier) and it's 8 PM for Anubis and Juranas (so we can't go later).

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago
Btw, 3J.

"We generally play at 5 PM my time which would be 1 AM your time."

Actually, if you meant you live in london (which as far as I know is like, the UK.. riiight?) then 5pm your time would be 6pm my time. =)

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago
OH and 4.0 is stupid. Here are some quotes from some great roleplayers:

"I did enjoy 3.5. i've been reading about 4.0 and it kinda seems like if i wanted something like that I could just play WOW or the like."

"It is more like a MMO rather than a Tabletop rpg. I like some of 4.0 and I hate some of it."

"The way abilities are handled. It creates specific roles for the PCs. In fact, it encourages one of each type of role in a party for balance. In 3.5 you could create a controller wizard or one that can deal shat tons of damage. In 4e they mostly control the battlefield and that is it."

"Yeah I think I like 3.5 better and I would love to get in on a game."

"4e causes cancer. That pretty much sums it up."

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago

If a single person is able to link it with WOW, then the game is ruined FOREVER.

Frickin MMOs...

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago

Strangely enough. Almost every 4.0E player I met compared it to WoW. Queer.

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago
hey guys, I'm at my GM'n friends place and willing to try out the DnD. I'm still a bit confused about the times though. At the moment its 18:00 here. (6pm)

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago
oh and crap, one of my posts got bumped up.

3J.

"We generally play at 5 PM my time which would be 1 AM your time."

Actually, if you meant you live in london (which as far as I know is like, the UK.. riiight?) then 5pm your time would be 6pm my time. =) What your describing is american uhm.. east time I think. (6 hour difference)

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago

Yo Alkador! I know I'm late, but whatever. GUTEN TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG!

So apprently JJJ likes you, so you're either not Bob, or he's become very clever. Well, make yourself at home and MAKE A STORY. Seriously, I think you can make some damn good stories.

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago
I'm on Pacific Time, eight hours before London so 9 hours before you. So actually, it would have been 2 AM your time at 5 PM my time.

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago
(I'm on Canada's beautiful West Coast).

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago

Ahh alrighty, misunderstood. Well I fear participating will be rather difficult then, but who knows, if I ever find myself online at those hours I will most certainly let ya'll know!

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago
If we switch our hours up, I will also let you know. Actually though, I'm in the process of designing a bad-ass RPG system of my own. There will be a wiki for it which I am in the process of creating.

It will be sci/fi and I know that turns a lot of people off but it's REALLY fun. You could be one the first to Roleplay that with me if you'd like.

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago

We had a home brew scifi game as well a bit back. Sort of like, design a character with sci-like skills and roll for starting gear and such. I turned into a pilot of sorts, started with a crappy shuttle. Did some cargo hauling, trading, planet side missions, etc. Make some cash, get some nicer gear, outfit my shuttle with some improvements, took on more crew. That sort of thing.

Or were you thinking of something more grander scale, or perhaps not in space but only a sci fi setting?

Simply, Hi!

14 years ago
Probably a grander scale, you'll most likely start off in the academy and from there it's up to you. I've started a wiki for it, it's far from finished but if you're interested in helping (as simple as asking for clarification on anything you read, so that I can make it better) let me know.

Here's the link:

http://starpg.wikispaces.com/

(It's called StarPG) <--- Witty right! lol.