Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

View This Story

13 years ago

I'm working on a storygame in draft stage, and suddenly the "View This Story" button is no longer working. This happened after I added a Chapter 2. For the whole time I was working on several pages in Chapter 1, I could save my progress, exit, and go test it/see how the game would actually look by choosing the game and then choosing "View This Story." Am I doing something wrong?

By the way, hello! I'm new here, and yes, I know you guys want us to take it slowly and not start using the advanced editor until we've done a simple game first, but the basic editor didn't allow me to link to the same page from two different pages/paths, so I switched over, and except for this problem of suddenly not being able to test the game myself the way a player would see it, everything's hunky-dory. You all have designed a great database/UI here for building these games. Thanks!

One more thing: I got really hooked on the Wal-Mart game and had to keep playing until I'd completed every ending. Nice work there. I liked the sense of humor, the use of inventory items, and the multiple pathways.

View This Story

13 years ago

Nice to hear you using the AE. I hate it. Because I have three browsers and have to use all three to create one page. At least, before I sent in my computer for repair. However, it is much easier to use (except that when I create a new page it automatically opens) if you have a good computer.

As for your first paragraph, I'd copy-paste it into Bugs and Problems. that does sound bad. I'm using another computer thaT HAS another bug on it. But what else can you expect from Vista?

Oh yeah, and welcome.

View This Story

13 years ago

Thanks, Jeff, for the tip, the commiseration, and the welcome. I've posted that to Bugs and Problems. I hate Vista, too, and am much more at home when I'm working on a Mac. Even with pop-up blocker turned off, I have to keep electing to 'allow temporary scripted windows' when working in AE. Also, learned the hard way to save a page often if you're doing a lot of work to it.

View This Story

13 years ago

Glad to see you, lisaves. It's nice here, if you like it. Good to see you using the AE though, like Jeff said.

View This Story

13 years ago

Responding to lisaves post of course :)

View This Story

13 years ago

And thanks, mr.xcentrix. It's nice to feel so welcome!

View This Story

13 years ago

Same here. These are my problems:

IE: "Temporarily allow scripted windows" - 5 unnecessary clicks. Also, slow-loading.

Firefox: Everything works, but it craps out too often. Also every time I try to open a new eindow, it says "Would you like to run Adoe Flash Player 10?"

Chrome: Does not have rich text editor. I have to type the pages on a different browser. On the other hand, loads quickly and painlessly.

My computer is in the repair shop so I'm ranting on my old computer. Forgive me.

View This Story

13 years ago
Adjust your internet options to fix the scripted windows problem, add chooseyourstory.com to the exceptions.

As for the View Story bug, never heard of it before. You click the button and no window pops up? Check your pop-up blocker.

Welcome aboard, I'm 3J and I'm here for any questions you may have.

View This Story

13 years ago

Thanks, 3J. Will try that. And yeah, this is happening with pop-up blocker turned off. I can get the page windows to pop up in AE, but I can't get any response when I click on View This Story.

View This Story

13 years ago

Thanks, Jeff. I was just about to query as to whether or not Chrome is better. Hm.

View This Story

13 years ago

Chrome is better, but read 3J's comment on Normal Day (hilarious by the way :D) And you can see what my old computer was like.

View This Story

13 years ago
For anyone else having any of these problems:

http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/message.aspx?MessageId=5920