Non-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Thread

Keep up with the latest contests and find out what's been changing with the site.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Contest Theme: Swords and Sorcery / High Fantasy
Deadline: August 1st

Stories are NOT automatically entered! You should post in this thread with your intent to write a story for the contest. If you post your intent in the next week and then come through and actually release something, there will be a 15 EXP point reward. You don't have to post your intent, you can just publish a story and then afterwards tell us that you're entering but you won't get the 15 point reward.

On August 1st, each person who has entered the contest (and anyone who hasn't, but who wants to vote) will read ALL of the stories. No one is allowed to vote on just a few. You have to vote on ALL or NONE of the stories. If you enter a story, you really should participate in voting. The reason you can't vote on just a few is that if you're a person who leaves exceptionally high or low ratings, the stories you vote on will be affected either negatively or positively with respect to the other stories.

Voting will occur by sending your votes to me. You will send your opinion of MY story to a delegate (we'll choose who closer to August) so that it's anonymous still, and you don't feel intimidated to rate how you feel about my story. That person will send me the votes for my story and I'll tally an average. I think we'll probably just give a mark out of 10 for each story. Infinite story rates on three categories (Creativity, Enjoyment and Technical Aspects) but in my opinion, only enjoyment matters. If a story is more creative and better written, you'll enjoy it more and that will reflect in your mark. You will also be expected to leave approximately a paragraph in comments for the author, this can be left on the comments section or messaged with your rating if you'd like it to be anonymous.

Afterwards, we'll all vote on the person who left the best comments (if you submit your comments anonymously, you forfeit the chance to win this vote) and the winner will receive a prize.

REWARDS

Contest Winner: 200 EXP points and hopefully the contest trophy.
Contest Second Place: 50 EXP points
Contest Third Place: 15 EXP Points
All Contest Entrances that Confirm Their Participation in the next week: 15 EXP points
Best Commenter: 50 EXP points

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

I may as well enter this. I've got two months off uni in about five or six weeks, which is ample time for me to finally publish something.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

I'm entering. Hopefully my lazy ass will be able to get my story done.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
I'm entering

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Whee... I am entering. So excited.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

I'm in too! Gonna try to start writing it tonight.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Meh, I can still slack off if it is a few months ;p

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Im in for certain. i might even get a story finished.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Ah well this should get me motivated. Count me.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Sounds like fun. Count me in, please.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
I'm very impressed by the participation in this contest. If everyone actually gets something in, this will be AWESOME. I was expecting a smaller response (similar to the IS contest so this is great).

A note on judging: Votes will be normalized when creating the average, otherwise, the stories created by the most generous judge will have a slightly lower average than the other stories.

I'm really pumped for this.

A note on multiple entries: Go for it. It might be a better strategy to perfect one story but you're more than welcome to do multiples.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Yea, I think it will be really great. Hopefully, it will motivate me to finish my game. I'll have to be really busy doing this to complete it, I think, but it will definitely be worth it.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
I'm entering to. Does my co-auteur get EXP to?

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Let's talk about collaboration: should it be allowed? I'm tempted to say no, what are your opinions?

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

im not in favor of it but i dont feel i should be able to tell people that they cant do that.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
I just mean, that is it fair if people are teaming up to make their submission. A group submission can have twice the amount of writing with half the effort per person. If two equally talented writers team up, it should be better than either of those writers alone.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

yes, if they can harmonize. or they can just right two totally different branches from some early choice. which case they could go ahead and make two different stories on there own.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

I feel that people should be able to team up since that is how it works in real life too. If you know your employer, you have a better edge of getting a job, but it also doesn't mean you will. It probably will make the overall collection of stories much more fascinating, and if we had a limit to how much % of the exp the co-author receives, then we're all good. Well, with one exception, you cannot co-author for more than 1 story, period. It would be totally unfair at that threshold.

Should we say...75% for main writer and 25% for co-author?

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
In real life, if people are competing for something, it's different than in real life if people are in a work environment. Why are you assuming the person sitting in the co-author spot is doing less work? If people decide to co-write a story, shouldn't it be 50-50?

The more I think about it, the less I'm into the collab. story idea for the contest. It just won't be fair since for every branch a person can write alone, they can technically write two.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Personally, I think it should be allowed, but it should be noted by JJJ which stories have co authors, and that people should consider that when voting.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

I'm in.  Just one question though...I know what sword and sorcery is, but what exactly is high fantasy?

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Lord of the rings is the ideal example.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

I'll be a VOTER for the contest, as I don't have time to write a story, but would love to read them and give feedback. Just send me a PM before the voting starts as a reminder.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

I'm curious and is it just me or are we having a lot of visitors lately? Usually they would be a few of our regulars, but I get the sense that we're becoming quite popular for some odd unknown reason. Anyone care to share the loop?

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Are you someone's second account, Erudite? Hahaha, you've only been around since March 26th, but you're absolutely correct.

And urnam0, that's totally cool, I'll definitely try to remember to send you a PM before voting begins.

DRBickham, here is the wiki for high fantasy, it provides a reasonable definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fantasy

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Ok, under this definition, there are references made to the Harry Potter series, which starts in the real world then detours into an alternate fantasy world.  Does that mean my story can begin in the normal world and take a similar detour?  I hate to be a nuisance with the technical questions, but I already have a concept and title worked out and I want to be sure it's appropriate for the contest.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Sorry about the delayed reponse: absolutely that can be the case.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
So, to clarify: No collaborative projects. :)

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Does this mean I can't enter a story with a co-auteur? well... Then I make one one my own.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Yes, sorry to burst your bubble Leviathan. You can definitely still write those stories, just not for the contest.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
I've added a new tag: Fantasy Contest. Please tag your stories with it if you want to enter them :)

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Sweet. :)

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Count me in as well, I just hope I manage to finish my story in time

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

I'm definitely in! Geez. A lot of people are entering, a lot of really experienced ones as well as some great new writers. Anyone can win!

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

To Erudite: About the visitors, I think you could thank alienalpha! He started a Facebook page about this site, I believe. And, as we know, a lot of people go onto facebook. So that's probably why there's so many visitors! Well, I'm gonna start on my story.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
That's cool! Thanks Alienalpha.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

I just moved to LA and am getting used to a new job, but excuses can be endless when quitting smoking or picking up the old pen, so I'm in.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Although I just joined yesterday, I want to participate in this. I'll have a lot of studying and research to do if I want to get my first game completed by August 1st though. I can't guarentee what the end result will be like, but it should be fun.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

lets see another mommy quality story madglee.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Fifteen prospective entrants so far. Great news!

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Wow. This is going to be...wow.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

I hope everyone's started. At least a little!

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

ya, 3J could wait for the last couple of days though if he wanted, lol.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

I have nightmares thinking about it.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

I'll try my best; that spewed from me.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

it'll also be hard for the ones in the mafia game, they'll have 2 things to do. October especially.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

im ahead of schedule so far.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

I haven't started and am not worried haha

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Well... I just joined yesterday, but... I guess I just have high hopes for myself. Plus, this will motivate me to create a game and not just read/rate games.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Glad to see a fellow new member joining in! I decided to start right away to help encourage myself to really follow through with this. I wish you luck in your creation of a story game!

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Is it too late to post intent to enter the contest? Oh well, either way, I think I'll give this a shot too.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
It's never too late to post intent! You are just in time to be eligible for the 15 point prize, as well.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Sweet, good to know!

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Better get started on it right away!

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Or relax, we have until August after all :)

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

I already got started on it, heheh. Admitedly, it's just three paragraphs at the moment, but at least I have the rough idea drafted. Getting started always seems to be the hardest step... besides keeping going once you do, heh.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Good luck :)

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Alright, so here are the entrants who have committed to releasing a storygame for the contest and are thus eligible for the 15 point confirmation prize upon releasing their storygame! I'm adding one more stipulation: All storygames must meet the minimum site standards. There's no exact details here but if the storygame requires administrative unpublishing (like the awesome storygames of the past) then it's not contest-eligible.

ENTRANTS
3J
October
Sunshine
Zikara
Spartan
Erudite
Ugilick
Seaton731
Mokarran
Leviathan
DRBickham
Romulus
madglee
ArmoredHorse
jkulibert2
JackThaedos

That's a whopping 16 entrants! Nuts.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Note: Other people are still encouraged to enter!

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

um..... you forgot me!

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
I knew I was missing a 17th!

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

I'm in.  I know none of you know me since I've never posted or published but I love this site and have been outlining a story ever since I joined.  Guess I'll start typing it in :)

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

My story takes place in a world abandoning magic and starting to use technology. Some gunpowder weapons will exist and will be common on palace guards or whatever, but the main weapon of choice is still the sword among most people (even though guns are becoming more popular), and most things that you'd find in a fantasy story still exist. Would this be eligible for entry under the theme (magic is actually a strong part of the story).

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
To me, it sounds like it should be. And it also sounds awesome!

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

its fantasy is it not?

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

yes it is

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Absolutely legit, October.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

I am entering.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

you are totally capable man, just watch your conjugation. i just read your first story, and im impressed.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

ugilick, I thank you for your kind words.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Strange, I thought I posted my entry comment here a few days ago. I started on my story shortly afterwards, of course it's not published but I hope I'm still eligible for the 15exp reward.

Regardless if I am or not, JJJ, please sign me up. =]

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
I'm really sorry Methodkid, I can't verify that and it wouldn't be fair to simply add you to the list. But remember, the prizes for first, second, and commenting are much higher anyway! Best of luck on your entry.

TWENTY ENTRANTS (I think)! That's absolutely nuts.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Its possible that I never sent it, I've been accessing this website on my phone at work and its not all that reliable. If I did or didn't no skin off my nose, and your right it wouldn't be fair, thanks JJJ. =]

P.s. more than 20 now! A lot of stories to read through in august lol

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
BONUS POINT ELIGIBLE ENTRANTS (17)
3J
October
Sunshine
Zikara
Spartan
Erudite
Ugilick
Seaton731
Mokarran
Leviathan
DRBickham
Romulus
madglee
ArmoredHorse
jkulibert2
JackThaedos
Fergie

ADDITIONAL ENTRANTS (3)
Magicman
Dracortez
Methodkid

Current Entrants Amount: 20

Continue to signup if you're interested!

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

If almost everyone submits something, we'll have a crapload of good Fantasy stories added.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

ya, judging is gonna suck.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

haha you know its gonna take us all forever to get all these stories read. Theres no telling how long the voting stage will have to last if everybody actually submits a story.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

i will be surprised if we get ten honestly, im hoping for more, but im not expecting it.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

I'll sign up

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

yeah, not a lot o' people will sign up probably.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

sorry, "will publish a story" is what i meant to say.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

I want to enter the contest as well :)

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
3J
October
Sunshine
Zikara
Spartan
Erudite
Ugilick
Seaton731
Mokarran
Leviathan
DRBickham
Romulus
madglee
ArmoredHorse
jkulibert2
JackThaedos
Fergie

ADDITIONAL ENTRANTS (5)
Magicman
Dracortez
Methodkid
Retro64
Deadly_Sinner66

Current Entrants Amount: 22

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Does it have to be a New Story specifically written for the contest?

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

JJJ has the final say, but probably yes. That's the point of a contest. Imagine if Banisher entered OMS or EndMaster entering Necromancer. It would make the contest pointless, not that we cannot compete, but more in the sense, what is the point of the contest? Either way, you can enter anything you have that is unpublished is what I would say. Of course, just remember to mark your story Specifically for this contest to ensure It Is For The Contest.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
In the past, people have entered stories that were already published on other sites and won contests with them.

What I really meant was, could an entrant enter a story that they started writing prior to the contest that just happened to fit the theme.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

As long as it isn't published in CYOA, probably yes. And if you have a similar theme prior to the contest that isn't published, yes. Though, J still has the final say.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

3J said earlyer that it had to be a new story i do beleive

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
See below

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Okay, so my brain kind of went, 'I'm not writing enough! Let's sign up for something else!'

Soo... I guess I'm gonna enter here. Two questions, though. How long does it have to be? And does it need to be complete?

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
no limit on length, probably, and i dont think it has to be complete. it might have to be, though.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Hey Sethaniel, the story should have been conceived for the purpose of the contest, and not written somewhere else and transfered. Obviously, if you had an idea for a fantasy story and never wrote it, then it's quite fine (how could one enforce the rule of needing to come up with a new idea haha) but if you had started it before April 17th (when the contest was posted) then you probably shouldn't enter it.

It is a bit of an honor system though.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
And yeah, no limit on length as long as it it's not so short that it would warrant unpublishing

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

And too long that I will look like Gandalf.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
On completeness: No! It does not need to be complete! There are many stories published which aren't. It's just that you will likely lose marks when being compared to complete works, but that's the nature of the beast.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
3J
October
Sunshine
Zikara
Spartan
Erudite
Ugilick
Seaton731
Mokarran
Leviathan
DRBickham
Romulus
madglee
ArmoredHorse
jkulibert2
JackThaedos
Fergie

ADDITIONAL ENTRANTS (6)
Magicman
Dracortez
Methodkid
Retro64
Deadly_Sinner66
Cat2000

Current Entrants Amount: 23

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Sounds cool, count me in. (3J what are exp points good for exactly? sounds like you people are spoiled here with his 'rewards' stuff, real writers only enter contests to avoid SHAME)

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

well thats no fun, we are entering this contest for fun!

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Think of it in Fallout terms:

CYS is like the East Coast Brotherhood of Steel. They're accepting of anyone who wants to join and fight the good fight.

IS is more like the West Coast Brotherhood of Steel. They're mistrustful of outsiders put them through a bunch of tests and usually respond with indifference at best and hostility at worst. (Hence smaller in number of active forum members)

Surprised to see that my link managed to motivate some ISers over here. Pretty cool. Just remember winning over here does not erase any current SHAME you are experiencing over there. (Cat2000, Mizal and Spartan!)

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Aww, but I hate the Brotherhood.

Who's Talon Company?

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

no no it's cool, I got a plan. I write the fantasy story for this site, then search and replace all instances of 'elf' with 'robot' and enter it in the sci-fi one over there and bam! SHAME all gone and I'm safe for another year!

only I got a sudden urge to reinstall Fallout now so maybe later

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
EXP points are basically pride only. If you think we're spoiled for rewards now, you should have been here when there were cash prizes haha.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
hahahahaha. Hilarious. Yes, swapping elves out for robots should do the trick.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
I was thinking about entering, but there's just no way I'll have time to read/rate this many stories. Cool that you have such a big turn out though. Good luck to everyone.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Haha dang. I was hoping this would erase a little bit of shame for my failure to enter at IS. O well, I am 100% this one will be done by Aug 1st. ( Im loving the fallout comparision by the way End.)

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Yeah, no worries. I'm convinced that we won't get that many entries, a lot of our entrants are new members and we have a pretty big dropout rate for new members. If it's that many, it will be a lot of work haha

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

ya ive already said that i would be surprised if we got ten stories out of this.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Hey, the drunk piano player. Ten? You're so drunk you're probably seeing twenty of them.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

I like reading the games here, so it won't really be work to me. It's an awesome way to become a better writer, reading other peoples' works, commenting, maybe editing (which I love to do). I remember that csf143 dude, I edited a story by him. It was pretty terrible because his grammar was like a foregin exchange student's, and his plot was basically: "Kill the guards, kill more guards, hey do you want to go to Burger King?"  But yeah, if anyone wants something edited, PM me or send me 1000 USD. Either works.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
All right, I suppose I'll declare for the contest. Not guaranteeing I'll actually have anything, though. I'm out of the country for most of June.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

@donteatpoop

i would say i have 20 (blanks) for all of them, but i cant fill the blank. :)

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
3J
October
Sunshine
Zikara
Spartan
Erudite
Ugilick
Seaton731
Mokarran
Leviathan
DRBickham
Romulus
madglee
ArmoredHorse
jkulibert2
JackThaedos
Fergie

ADDITIONAL ENTRANTS (8)
Magicman
Dracortez
Methodkid
Retro64
Deadly_Sinner66
Cat2000
Mizal
Sethaniel

Current Entrants Amount: 25

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
To Methodkid: Yeah, it's really crazy. I doubt everyone submits something, but still. In the future, reply to the opening post or somewhere at the bottom so that I see what you wrote haha.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

May I join?

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Yup.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Describe to me the difference between high fantasy and fantasy.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

But no saying "LOTR" versus "X."

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Fantasy includes High Fantasy (and also things like urban fantasy, which are not high fantasy). High Fantasy is basically any story which occurs in a made up world.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

You mean High Fantasy includes fantasy and urban fantasy I assume. Still not quite clear. What is the difference between fantasy (e.g., Brik has a powerful sword and runs about killing orcs and demons) and High fantasy other than a completely new world? I suspected that was the difference, but the problem I have with it is, and no disrespect to any genre or writing style, that if I am going to create a completely new world, and expend much effort, it's going to be published, and unfortunately at this point in our existence, publishing a CYOA is going to be difficult as it's not the 1980's. Hmm, that sounds sardonic and I don't mean it so. I badly want to write a meaningful story and perhaps it's my own problem that I feel like if I create a continent and entire world, it would probably be around the scope of the Wheel of Time and not a CYOA.

I just want to know if I can use fictitious, fantasy-based characters, without creating an entirely "new world" to satisfy your requirements for "high" fantasy versus regular. Sorry if I'm overly verbose at this point.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

No, he meant what he said - fantasy is a general category (much like 'sci-fi') and high fantasy is a subgenre of it. I hate being one of those people that goes around linking wikipedia for everything, but for what it's worth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fantasy

specifically,

High fantasy is defined as fantasy fiction set in an alternative, entirely fictional ("secondary") world, rather than the real, or "primary" world. The secondary world is usually internally consistent but its rules differ in some way(s) from those of the primary world. By contrast, low fantasy is characterized by being set in the primary, or "real" world, or a rational and familiar fictional world, with the inclusion of magical elements.[2][3][4][5]

Also making up a new setting isn't really all that difficult.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Also how do you post links here? Also I'm super annoyed I can't edit my posts.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Unfortunately there isn't a button for it, so instead you have to click Source, which is next to the smiley icon when you're posting. When you're in there, you'll have to use html. So type your message, then click source, find what you want to make a hyperlink and then put html around it like this: <a href="URL HERE">TEXT THAT WILL BECOME A LINK HERE</a> and then click source again and it should be a hyper link.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Also, yeah it's a shame about not being able to edit posts but you'll get used to it eventually.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Mizal, it's fine you use links. 3j uses it all the time. :)

Why don't anybody ever use the smilies? We always do the keyboard ones instead of  or something.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Just a few minutes ago I published a game under the fantasy category entitled "The Search For The Craxil".  Since I literally just published it I don't think it has been viewed so I'd like to enter it into this contest.  It is my first story but I feel really good about it.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
3J
October
Sunshine
Zikara
Spartan
Erudite
Ugilick
Seaton731
Mokarran
Leviathan
DRBickham
Romulus
madglee
ArmoredHorse
jkulibert2
JackThaedos
Fergie

ADDITIONAL ENTRANTS (10)
Magicman
Dracortez
Methodkid
Retro64
Deadly_Sinner66
Cat2000
Mizal
Sethaniel
Mr.Xcentrix
jlwelch (The Search for the Craxil)

Current Entrants Amount: 27

The first story has come in! Make sure to tag entered stories with the 'Fantasy Contest' tag. Thanks :)

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
And to madglee, yeah, exactly what Mizal said. You either need to have a swashbuckling hero (Swords and Sorcery) or have it take place in a made-up world (High Fantasy). It is a bit blurry though, since Harry Potter would be considered High Fantasy, so the made up world can occur within the real world.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

I'm afraid I published this a few minutes prior to entering this contest so I don't have the "Fantasy Contest" tag on it.  Still, I appreciate that you count it anyway.  Thank you.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
I added it :)

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

do we read the story now? Or do we wait until all the stories are finished?

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

I've already read the story and commented on it. There shouldn't be any problem with reading entries as long as you still do the rating out of 10 and so on after the closing date for entries.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

(The story referring to the Cralix one.)

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
You should record what you rated it and write it down somewhere so you don't have to go through it again. Also, you should definitely either comment on it, or write a comment with your rating that you can send to me later which I will deliver to the writer in August. If you comment on it anonymously, then you forfeit the 'best commenter' award.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

By the High Fantasy definition, though, Harry Potter is HF, but Game of Thrones is not (it's low fantasy.)

Is the defining characteristic "invented world" or "magic/supernatural element?" 

I mean, because if "invented world" is all it takes, then a lot of "sci-fi" fits the definition.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago
Interesting take. I'd say it takes both of those characteristics. Invented world and elements associated with fantasy like magic/supernatural.

The Fantasy Contest

12 years ago

Sethaniel's actually right, I've seen it pointed out before that Star Wars is right up there with LotR as sort of the definitive high fantasy adventure. If you read the wikipedia article I linked you can definitely see the parallels, Gandalf and Obi wan are practically the same character.

Though I guess a lot of that owes more to the whole Hero's Journey thing which isn't confined to any particular genre and Christ I'm tired I can't even remember where I wa going with this, screw it