Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

contest stories

13 years ago

to keep me on track im going to document my progress on here. I would be thrilled if others would join me.

pages completed: 30

mostly all of these pages are at least a good paragraph if not more. im allso working on the disctiption which i will consinder posting tonight.

contest stories

13 years ago

Eh? Well, I stopped working on my story since the 9th of this month. As far as the contest progress: 0

contest stories

13 years ago

0 pages

contest stories

13 years ago

HAHAHA, 3J you have no reason to hurry.

contest stories

13 years ago

This isn't mostly done but it's a good base line for the scope of the story. Each box is a major plot decision.

Photobucket

contest stories

13 years ago

my doesnt branch heavely to early on, i wanted some time to develop the character.

contest stories

13 years ago

it should be read vertically :)

contest stories

13 years ago

Those map you have is nuts. So much detail, is it for your book or is it the world where all your stories take place?

contest stories

13 years ago

pages: 11

i would have more, but they're detailed. probably most i've ever done. There's a major decision to do in my story, right off. it results in 3 seperate chapters where you have a perspective on this guy (he's good, neutral, or annoying/bad)

contest stories

13 years ago

there are a great deal of ways to get trough my first chapter which is not but mabe a fourth completed, they all spit you out in the same basic location, but there is a differences on how you can interact in those chapters depending on how you went through the first. it changes the perspective you get, and even what side of the feild you play on.

contest stories

13 years ago

I can't even see this at a high enough resolution to read it. Weird. Nice planning. I usually just freak out and start writing and that gets confusing. I was writing something on some tablets sort of like that, and I did that for Blink, too. Of course, Blink's papers got lost and never finished. Maybe I should use the computer.

contest stories

12 years ago

What program did you use for this?

And story progress...uh, well I have a basic outline so far. I'll be off on Monday so hopefully I can crank a few chapters out then.

contest stories

12 years ago
Hey Mizal, just reply to the OP or the last post! It's a problem with the forum system here.

contest stories

13 years ago

0 pages, and so far no planning done. Having a mental block right now. I was planning on writing a more psychological game that either messes with your head or was similar to Sethaniel's Snow but in a fantasy plotline, but I figured I might not be able to pull that off (I tend to be very repetitive when I write like that) so I'm probably going to write a straightforward fantasy story instead. Might be able to come second if I'm lucky.

contest stories

13 years ago
The repetition problem is solved by many revisions! I think you could pull it off but I'd be happy with you finishing second ;)

contest stories

13 years ago

so long as your the one that comes in first 3J? :)

contest stories

13 years ago

I wouldn't be so quick to judge, there is incentive now compared to just your every go around. If we consider that there are 18 entrees and everyone is serious or else they wouldn't have enrolled in the first place, this will cut out to be a very stiff competition. It is anyone's game. Honestly, I'm more worried about the new members than I am of 3J currently, they're like a really erratic fastball.

contest stories

13 years ago

thrown by someone who has absolutly no idea what there doing. imagine what 3J can do in a month if he puts all his energy into it, its just not right. there is no need to fear the draw when the best cards are allready on the feild. that being said, im in no way saying new guys dont have a shot, infact i consider myself a new guy. im just not worried about, new guys. for two reasons, they dont have experience with the editor, and im in it for fun so im not even worried about 3J. im not worried about anything. its just a bunch of people preparing to have fun. i honestly would be surprised if we got 10 stories in by the way. i'll be proud of myself if i get me story in.

contest stories

13 years ago

ug, so many typos in that paragraph... :p

contest stories

13 years ago
Pages completed: 98

I tend to write long pages, too, usually three or four paragraphs, though a few have just been one or two sentences. I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with the project, though, considering the fact that I'm a newbie and have yet to publish (or even finish) a storygame. I was trying to keep it short and simple, but, like most of my writing projects, it's taken on a life of its own.

contest stories

13 years ago

im impressed with that number. make sure they are of quality and you have a great upcoming story on your hands.

contest stories

13 years ago
I've been into writing for a while, and aside from the occasional typo and misplaced comma, my writing is technically pretty sound, so even if the content is boring as hell, it'll be grammatically correct, lol.

The premise is a weird little idea that I had and rather than turn it into a story (which I may still do someday) I decided to make it my contest entry. The player is a 'Green' Knight, an environment do-gooder trying to find and stop a unicorn poacher.

contest stories

13 years ago

ha, sounds fun. Mine is always grammatically weird, especially with tenses. I have someone read it every so often to check for grammar mishaps.

contest stories

13 years ago

Mokarran that sounds hilariouse i hope you finish it, i want to read it. :)

contest stories

13 years ago
Thanks. I hope I can finish it, too. :)

contest stories

12 years ago

That's a very interesting idea, crackterific!

contest stories

13 years ago
@madglee: Yeah, that was the plan, I didn't want anyone reading it but I wanted to show the shape.

contest stories

13 years ago

Why was it from Photobucket?

contest stories

13 years ago

Also, here's an update on my story:

chapters: 1 complete

pages: 12

yes, a short chapter, but it's mostly background and the lead up to the big mystery (the prophecy in the story).

contest stories

12 years ago
Screenshot

contest stories

12 years ago

Alright, I am working with something new here (for me anyway). I prefer the "feel" of the story over the system, so the system will be designed to cater to the "feel".

Its okay to be confused.

Anyway, I have a question:

Can it be Gothic Horror Fantasy?

contest stories

12 years ago

And also, what about urban fantasy?

contest stories

12 years ago

thats questionable, the theme is high fantasy, lord of the rings stuff. not modern but its not up to me.

contest stories

12 years ago
Either of those can be legit if the world that it takes place in isn't ours or there is a separate world within that isn't ours. High Fantasy involves it's own world.

contest stories

12 years ago

Let me be more specific.

My story synopsis is basically this.

Main Character encounters a bunch of monsters that came into our world, he follows them through a portal into their own world to retrieve something they took.

That's the plan. Is this acceptable? The world will be High Fantasy, but there is a background mythological/mystery connection to ours.

contest stories

12 years ago
As long as he follows them through to a different world, that should be quite legit.

contest stories

12 years ago

Yes, because he goes into another world. Same as 3j said . . . sorta. but yeah, legit.

contest stories

12 years ago

I am going to spam yet another question, what about Chinese High Fantasy.

According to TV tropes, Chinese Heroic or High Fantasy is Wuxia.

I am very familiar with Wuxia, unfortunately its usually seen by westerners as something of the martial arts genre.

Examples of Wuxia:

Naruto, Dragonball, 9 Dragons (MMORPG), etc. That's Wuxia, there are even ones set in modern times: Urban Wuxia, the East's analogue of Urban Fantasy.

Instead of Orcs, they typically use Mongolian Hordes that threaten to invade.

Instead of magi, fighters, and thieves, they have Qi-Gong masters, Martial Artists, and Assassins.

Instead of secret magical tomes, they have secret kung-fu manuals.

Instead of magical weapons/armours, they have legendary weapons/armours.

Instead of magical creatures, they have everything from animal spirits to Condors.

Instead of racial or national divisions, they have one country (China) with many Clans, cults, factions, religions, etc. (I.E. Wudang Clan, Shaolin Clan, Ming Cult, etc) vying for power.

Instead of some ultimate evil, they would have a ultimate manipualtive villain.

Is the Wuxia Genre considered "high fantasy" then for the purpose of this Contest?

contest stories

12 years ago

this thread is for talking about your progress on contest stories go to the thread on news and info to ask questions.

contest stories

12 years ago
Oh, so my progress is 0 pages still, too. I got the entire plot worked out, though! And I'm trying to work on a really detailed mind web like JJJ too. Probably won't be showing it, though. Hehe. Its super secret. All I'm gonna say for now is that its going to be a really gritty fantasy story, where sorcery is outlawed in the part of the world most of the plot is in. There will be mystery, and intrigue. And amazingness (hopefully).

Hopefully I'll get to some writing soon!

contest stories

12 years ago

Im right there with you as of now Zikara. I was making good progress on "Heros of the Jagged Coast", but i decided to stop working on it and start a new story for the contest. The new story is called "Armor of the Dragon". Basically its gonna be a high fantasy story but the story will center around giant mechs called armors. The wizards use magi, the sorce of life and magic, to power the armors. I have the outline pretty much sketched out on paper and I'm gonna try to get some work done on it today.

contest stories

12 years ago

sounds very cool, not my style, but i like the idea. its creative, looking forward to it.

contest stories

12 years ago

Story progress: 68 pages. aproximate percent complete 13.6%

considering posting the description to see what you guys think, anyone interested?

contest stories

12 years ago

ooops... disregaurd this one.

contest stories

12 years ago

I've got something deep in my belly that I feel like expelling. It's coming on. Unfortunately, it's not high fantasy, and it doesn't need to be a CYOA. There's no escape from the path, so can't be webs. Hmm, I'll try to use that.

contest stories

12 years ago

are you saying something like the old greek tales where no matter how hard the hero trys to avoid the outcome of some profesy it still comes true?

contest stories

12 years ago

Story progress: 68 pages. aproximate percent complete 13.6%

I am considering posting the description to see what you guys think, anyone interested?

contest stories

12 years ago

This is so frustrating, I haven't even started writing yet. There's way too many plotholes already with the story - why is the protagonist being chosen to do this job, how did these all-powerful entities allow themselves to be stripped of this power without realising it? There's tonnes more, I think I might try and come up with an entirely different story altogether.

contest stories

12 years ago

Need help?

contest stories

12 years ago

I'd prefer to work on my story on my own, but thank you for the offer :)

contest stories

12 years ago
Yeah, October, when that happens, it's bad news. I know that feeling. Even if you make a thousand compromises so it all works out, it will then feel contrived.

contest stories

12 years ago
Some things though, a lot of readers will just accept as necessary to the story. This must be the guy who got chosen, because otherwise we'd be reading about someone else. (Like the anthropic principle, but for stories.)

I get annoyed with one of my frequent collaborators for insisting on determining why certain conditions/storystates exist prior to developing the story. I think that we should just take the premise and run with it- if the backstory detail is important, it will show up in the story, and when it does we'll realize how it must have happened.

Example: You're trapped on a sinking ship. Who cares how the mastermind got you onto the ship? It probably won't ever need to be mentioned or discussed. If it does, your character will tell you what happened when he needs to. If it doesn't, then knowing that extraneous detail will just be temptation to stick it in, even though it's unnecessary.

contest stories

12 years ago
Yeah, but sometimes it's trying to eliminate factors that would prevent it from happening. To use your example, let's say that your character has an insane phobia of boats and this has been crucial to plot development. You can't remove the phobia or it would mess the plot up. Alright, well the mastermind knocked him out and put him there, fine. But if that recourse wasn't available (say, it's a different, more complicated situation), then you can run into problems.

contest stories

12 years ago
See, now that it was important, we quickly came up with a plausible explanation. Which actually fits quite nicely.

Too much planning ruins everything.

contest stories

12 years ago
Yeah, in this case, you're definitely right.

contest stories

12 years ago

Exactly, if it doesn't seem plausible I don't want to compromise the story by including it. It's one of the worst things that can happen when beginning a story. Luckily I only had very basic planning done so I haven't been set back too far progress-wise (better than me realising this five chapters in or something haha).

contest stories

12 years ago

Hey Mizal, just reply to the OP or the last post! It's a problem with the forum system here.

Heh, yeah, I noticed that after I posted, this is kind of a weird forum.

Anyway, I was just asking what program you used to make that story map you posted.

contest stories

12 years ago
I PMd you with it, but it's actually a website, October showed it to us:

http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/message.aspx?MessageId=6188

Yeah, the forum can get messy but once you get used to it, it's not too bad.

contest stories

12 years ago

Whew. Okay, seven pages done. Which is kind of embarrassing considering there's a guy with 98 (?!) and another story already completed, but still, this is the most writing I've done in a single sitting in a long long time. And I've got the first chapter all wrapped up now, which is basically the setup for the launching point of all the major branches.

...which there are now twice as many of as what I originally planned. (kill me)

Also that website 3J linked is rad (do people still say rad?) and everyone should use it.

contest stories

12 years ago
Ehh you shouldn't feel too embarressed I'm still working on filling out the setting. I've got certain major points of the various branches finished and now it's a matter of getting to those points. And adding a lot more points, and characters, and events, and a plot. Essentially I've got the Calcium, but I haven't made it into bones yet.

contest stories

12 years ago
Progress update: Finally reached 200 pages! I've got most of the basic structure worked out, made a couple of side-quests, scripted a mini-game, and built most of a village that be explored. Now I need to work on the main plot.

contest stories

12 years ago

go outside or something, jeez

contest stories

12 years ago
I've got a job, lol. I also have a bad habit of starting things and not finishing them, and I'm trying to avoid that by working on this one as much as I can before I get bored or distracted by a "better" idea.

contest stories

12 years ago

Sounds good already, looking forward to playing it. How large are you planning on making it?

contest stories

12 years ago
I think I might be somewhere between %25 and %30 finished. It's hard to tell.

contest stories

12 years ago

I had less time to write durring my normal day, then i did during my vacation.

contest stories

12 years ago

2 chapters done. yipee. 6-8 to go.

contest stories

12 years ago
So I decided that my original idea was waay too long to finish by the contest date, and I decided to go on somewhat of a prequel to one of the plots in that story. Or more of a kinda back story, but very far in the past. In my original story, there was going to be an ancient artefact that the character might find, and the story I am working on now explains where that artefact came from, why it was hidden and protected, and what happened to this ancient civilization. So the two stories will connect, but it won't be obvious.

So now my progress is 10 pages, and the entire plot completely worked out. I might decide to add in a sub-plot or two that I haven't thought of yet, but as of right now its looking like its going to be about 300-400+ pages. I still think I'm on a good track for August if I can keep up an okay pace.

contest stories

12 years ago

What is it about prequels? This happens to me a lot when it comes to fantasy, I start a story and then at some point decide the backstory is actually a lot more interesting and jump ship to write about that instead. It's not a good thing to make a habit of though - nine times out of ten you wind up with two half-finished stories when sticking to the one and just pushing through might have been the best thing.

contest stories

12 years ago
That's why Song of Ice and Fire hasn't had a new book since 2005.

contest stories

12 years ago
And I know. I'm not really abandoning the first story. And its not like I'm going to go back and do a prequel to the story I am writing now. I wouldn't have done it, except I really do want to submit something for the contest. There was no way I'd get my other one done in time, so I already had to come up with a new idea. So because I was thinking heavily about the back story for that one plot, and I liked it. I though, why not make a story out of it?

But yea, I usually don't like prequels per se. This one is just so far back that it feels more like a different story. And I wouldn't consider the first story I was writing a sequel to the one I'm writing now. There's not much similar about it, and in the sequel one, it might not even elude to the story I am writing now.

contest stories

12 years ago

Artifact*

contest stories

12 years ago
I've seen it written both ways. And my mac's automatic spell checker doesn't correct either. So I think they might both be valid, and I like artefact better so I am using it.

contest stories

12 years ago
(But it should be "allude" not "elude." Unless it's escaping. . .)

artefact according to wiki: In British usage, artefact is the main spelling and artifact a minor variant. In American English, artifact is the usual spelling. Canadians prefer artifact and Australians artefact, according to their respective dictionaries.

Anyway, you're probably right- if you find yourself spending a lot of the story in flashbacks, or with characters constantly referring to things that happened in the prequel, you might as well just write the prequel.

contest stories

12 years ago
No, man. Its totally escaping. Silly.

And thats interesting about artefact. I didn't actually know what the real reason for the two spellings were. Even though I am Canadian, though, I am just going to take that as a green light to go ahead and spell it however I damn feel like it hehe :P

contest stories

12 years ago

welp, 20+ pages and still chuggin along. Not the fastest progress but I'm happy with the way the story's shaping up so far and I guess that's the important thing. It's been way too long since I actually finished a project and I'm determined to see this one through to the end.

I'm kind of afraid I might have to kill myself if I pull out the actual storymap and do the math on how much is left though...

contest stories

12 years ago

You've got another two months to work on it, if you stick to your current pace you can't lose (that is unless you're like 1% of the way through your story). Good luck!

contest stories

12 years ago

I've finally got a basic idea of how my storygame's going to pan out. Like up until recently, all I'd done is made the map for the continent/islands on which the story takes place and decide it was going to be a smaller-scale story rather than the epics I'm always trying to write and getting two chapters into before being preoccupied with something else (by smaller-scale I'm talking plot-wise, like as in the story isn't one where the character's decisions ultimately save the entire world or something). In my life I've never finished a story, and I haven't written anything properly in years (honestly ever since I found out that $ITEMSTATE and $ITEMUSED had bugs I haven't written on CYS at all, I've either been lurking or posting on the forums), so I'm really excited as to how this will turn out.

First I got the idea of the actual characters in the story, and some of the different paths in the story, but then I thought "hey, these guys can't just go and do a number of quests for no reason, this storygame has to have plot, I don't want it to be a sandbox" and literally in the past two hours I came up with an overarching plot which links various things together and I'm very excited. I really want to focus on character development and tension between characters (at the moment there are only three main characters). Unfortunately, as I haven't written properly since I was like fourteen (except for like short stories in English) I have no clue as to whether I can pull this off or not.

I'm going to write this using the Advanced Editor, purely because of the organisational benefits of having chapters, but I don't foresee the storygame using any variables/scripting.

contest stories

12 years ago

I know everyone's super excited about my storygame judging by the multiple replies to my last post, so I thought I'd post to say it's an advanced editor game now. Variables and scripting will still hardly play a part in this game, I'm only using these features for an interactive map to choose where you want to go.

contest stories

12 years ago
It sounds awesome, October.

contest stories

12 years ago

Yeah, can't wait for the master writers' works to be out into the world!

contest stories

12 years ago

Haha you haven't seen my writing yet XD but I'm glad you think it will be good. (Really awkward if you weren't replying to me aha.) And thanks Zikara!

Good luck with your stories.

contest stories

12 years ago
Maybe surprisingly, my story for the contest is going to have basically no scripting. I'm trying to limit myself on that part, just because I get good ideas when thinking about scripting and then I end up going over board and making it too hard to finish in time. I'm still going to have many different paths, but just not based on scripts as much.

I like how much I've gotten done so far, and I've figured if I do somewhere between 5-10 pages every day, then I'll be able to get it done, and still have time left over to test, revise and spell check.

I think right now I have about 10% done. I don't really know if I'm on schedule or not :s

But honestly, I think that the beginning is the slowest part to write, and later I think I might be able to pick up momentum. I just hope I'll be able to get this done in time.

contest stories

12 years ago

yeah, it's a good place to be. Still what? Three months left? You should be able to finish it. I'm about . . . I want to say 25%, but that's too much. More like 15% or so.

contest stories

12 years ago

This is a really trivial question (open to anyone who wants to answer), but which name sounds better: The Apprentice or Apprentice?

contest stories

12 years ago
For a story title?

I like 'Apprentice' better.

Also, I wasn't paying nearly enough attention when reading this, and it took me about 2 full minutes to figure out the difference between those.

contest stories

12 years ago
Definitely Apprentice. It sounds sick. Also, sorry I didn't see it earlier but your story sounds awesome! Especially how you're going to focus on character dynamics!

contest stories

12 years ago

Apprentice defininitely. "The Apprentice" just seems, not, well, exciting. Apprentice of what? is the question it's leading. Apprentice just makes me want to read, not quesiton!

contest stories

12 years ago

I second this Apperentice sounds I lot cooler and I know cool.

contest stories

12 years ago

Hence your name? Also, since we're on the topic of names, which sounds cooler to you guys:

Mozart or Betrayal

contest stories

12 years ago

You already know my opinion on this matter Betrayal.

contest stories

12 years ago

Yes, cool, but I need more than one opinion. October? 3j? zikara?

contest stories

12 years ago

It really depends what the storygame is about. Does it have anything to do with the composer Mozart, or what-- like what's the relevance of Mozart in your contest story? It's hard to make a decision until we know the context, but just personally from the names alone Betrayal sounds a lot better than Mozart.

contest stories

12 years ago
I think Mozart sounds better but unless it's relevant, you probably should go with Betrayel.

contest stories

12 years ago
I agree with them. Mozart only if it makes sense.

contest stories

12 years ago

Apprentice is it then! Thanks for the feedback, I actually had it as Apprentice at first but was unsure about how it sounded so I put a "the" out the front but it still sounded a little weird.

contest stories

12 years ago

Sounds like a TV show.

contest stories

12 years ago

Probably doesn't help that the story description is "You're fired!".

contest stories

12 years ago
Could call it Neophyte instead, since they're synonyms and it sounds pretty cool.

contest stories

12 years ago

I like the word, but for some reason I always associate it with a futuristic setting (probably because of Neo from the Matrix) so it just wouldn't feel right to me if I called it that. Good suggestion though.

contest stories

12 years ago
Progress update: 375 pages complete

And I finally finished chapter 1. Luckily, there will only be three chapters -- Day 1, Day 2, and Day 3. So I guess I'm 1/3 finished, although I doubt either of the other two chapters will be as long as the first, so it's probably more like 40% done.

And I'm really happy - I made up a simple card game and was able to get all the scripting and variables to work. Yay!

contest stories

12 years ago

sounds awsome man, keep up the good work.

contest stories

12 years ago

That's a LOT OF PAGES!!! Insane! and only the 1st chapter? Sick!

contest stories

12 years ago

I'm like 25 pages in, with about a 1000-2000 words per page, it varies quite a bit. I have several different paths in my story, and those paths have several paths, so expect to play mine through a few times to get the feel of it. I'm really excited to play everyones' stories. The contest commenting is going to be almost as fun as writing the story itself. You will see the grammar-whore in me!

contest stories

12 years ago
I really, really, really like that you're looking forward to giving criticism and reading. We need people like that.

contest stories

12 years ago

Good! I love to give criticism and, as always, I love to read stores here.On FP, I'm the guy who reads everyones' shit and comments on it, then ONE person always comments on mine. No one else. I quit posting on there. I'm wanting to involve poetry in a story, though maybe not my contest story.

contest stories

12 years ago

I'm really looking forward to reading the other entries too, I just hope we get plenty of time to do so. I mean, from the sound of it the size of some of these stories are getting a little insane, to 100% them is going to take awhile.

contest stories

12 years ago

Mine is going to most likely be fairly short. Maybe 50 pages at most. So I hope the quality of the story will make up for the lack of quantity.

contest stories

12 years ago
I haven't actually written anything for my story yet. Can I still comment and vote if I don't end up entering anything?

contest stories

12 years ago

Definitely - as long as you comment and rate every entry you can vote.

contest stories

12 years ago

Hope I'll have a whole day to rate . . . I'll need it!

contest stories

12 years ago

Oh we'll need DAYS. My story is an easy 7. 3J's stories usually have depth and length. And even without those facts, there are a lot of entrants.

contest stories

12 years ago

my story wont be as long as i thought it would be, but im going to dissapear from the sight for a while in order to start writing.

contest stories

12 years ago

site*

contest stories

12 years ago

it was a pun. sight as in you wouldnt see me on the site... eh forget it...

contest stories

12 years ago

Just about given up on Apprentice. I could definitely go through with it and publish it, but there's no way I could turn it into something that could compete with a couple of the contest entries that could possibly be published. I've got heaps of ideas for good storygames but none of them would be anywhere near the level of Necromancer/Death Song, and for my first storygame at least that's the benchmark I want to reach with my writing. Somehow I think the struggle is pointless XD

contest stories

12 years ago

Change of heart (again). Mixed some ideas around and it's good. This has happened like fifteen times, and I'm sure it'll happen again. I still don't think it'll win the contest but I'll aim for that anyway.

contest stories

12 years ago
Hey October, stop trying to make something fantastic! Make something decent to good, then make something good to really good, then make something really good to great, THEN try and make something really great.

Honestly though, no matter how talented you are (and you are talented) jumping head first into making an extraordinary storygame is like reading a thousand books on basketball and then trying to compete with someone who has played for the past two years.

Get something under your belt and work your way up! You'll have more success and you'll enjoy the ride.

contest stories

12 years ago

thats very good advice.

contest stories

12 years ago
Seconded.

My first storygame is only rated like, 4.

contest stories

12 years ago

Thirded. (Fourthed?) Much better to have a reasonably good story that's actually finished than to be one of those people (like me...) that gets all hung up on writing the Most Epic Story Ever and then runs out of steam only a fraction of the way through because they're trying to do the impossible. 

contest stories

12 years ago

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I've nutted out a lot of the ideas I'm going to be using in the story, it's moreso just naming some of the species of wild beast found in the storygame, naming the places, coming up with backstories for towns and actually planning how the story will go (and eventually writing it, of course).

It's a very Mattias style game, with a little less emphasis on variables and stats and a little more emphasis on characters and multiple paths.

contest stories

12 years ago

i think mattias needed more depth in its plot and characterazation. im looking forward to reading this.

contest stories

12 years ago
Agreed.

contest stories

12 years ago

I'm trying to add some pictures in mine and google can't find any that I want! What's with that?

contest stories

12 years ago

try switching the key words around.

contest stories

12 years ago

Progress report: 2 pages (1 complete) and 1 link. A slow start but I have a good feeling about this story.

contest stories

12 years ago
My progress is something technically 30 pages. But a good 10 of them are completely empty, and are there just because I made links to fit in with the choices you'd have on other pages, and I haven't written yet. I think that I'm going to end up with something from 400-600 pages (might be kidding myself because it has 13 chapters, and my first chapter feels less than half done at 30 pages) I think I might have to pull a JJJ on this one and spend a whole day or two working on this straight. I just have to force myself to really write it.

contest stories

12 years ago

Let's just assume it'll end up being 600 pages - that's just under ten pages a day you'll have to do on average in order to complete this by the deadline. You can do it! Just make sure you don't fall behind. I'm really excited to see what you come out with (especially the formatting/scripting you use).

contest stories

12 years ago

If you can manage to make it to 500 or so then that's awesome, but look at the October's math there and make sure you can pace yourself properly. 10 chapters every single day might be a tall order depending on page length and the amount of free time you have, and the most important thing is not to let yourself burn out.

Of course, if I can do four in a day I'm patting myself on the back, so I might just be really, really slow and not the best person to be the judge of that. :D

contest stories

12 years ago
You meant pages in a day right? Just making sure haha because four chapters in a day is super impressive.

And that's super ambitious, I can't believe you guys post expectations like that on here.

contest stories

12 years ago

I'll be surprised to hit 60 pages. Mine isn't all that long, but hopefully the quality of the work will help.

Anyway, don't put so much food on your plate, you won't finish it right away! Just pace yourself and the sandwich will disappear eventually. ;)

contest stories

12 years ago

Hah, yes, I meant pages. ('pages' and 'chapters' gets used interchangably at other sites I've been on)  If I was writing four chapters in a day I'd be done by now! :P

I'm at 36 pages at the moment, and I haven't even started on any of the main branches. And I agree, some of the stuff being posted does sound a little on the 'insanely ambitious' side. Still, that just makes it all the more amazing if it can actually be pulled off, though. (If I wanted to try and write ten pages every day I'd have to quit my job and...well, actually I probably wouldn't be able to manage it even then...)

contest stories

12 years ago

The time frame of this contest is extremely convenient for me, as I've just finished uni for the semester (have a couple of assignments and a Japanese exam still to clear up but nothing huge) and I don't start next semester until August, so I've got the next two months with very little to do. The guitarist in my band is still in high school so that limits the time I'll be spending on music during that period, and I am in between jobs at the moment.

So honestly, I've got all the time in the world to work on my story. But I'm still not confident I'll get it finished haha, I'll find some way to screw it up and lose motivation halfway through.

contest stories

12 years ago

Which reminds me, 3J, how is your story doing?

...and as active as this thread has been, it's mainly the same handful of people posting. Last I checked there were almost 30 entrants. I'm kind of curious how/if the rest of them are coming along.

contest stories

12 years ago

most people are still planning. it wouldnt surprise me at all if 3J hadnt even started actaully writing yet.

contest stories

12 years ago

JJJ started writing a while back.

contest stories

12 years ago

cool, that means his story is going to be awsome. he's spending more time on it allready than OMS.

contest stories

12 years ago

It's extremely ambitious, I'll just say that. If he manages to get it finished in the next two months it'll be a real contender.

contest stories

12 years ago

have you seen it?!

contest stories

12 years ago

I've talked to JJJ about it and seen it in its very early stages, yes. Regarding the main plot(s), I don't know what he's got planned.

contest stories

12 years ago
Hahaha... like your guy's comments. In actuality, I am pretty nervous about finishing it up. I might have to do it JJJ style and write a few hundred pages in a fury of craziness during a few days near the end of the contest. We'll see how it goes.

Oh, and October. Formatting is going to look cool, I think, but this one has got next to no scripting (So far I have 3 variables, and all they do is change a bit of text on one page. That's it. This one's alllll story.) When I put my other story aside to work on the contest, I had to promise myself I'd use limited scripting, or I'd never be able to produce anything good in that amount of time.

contest stories

12 years ago

That's fair enough. I'm excited to see what you come up with either way, I haven't read anything you've written before so yeah, curious is an understatement.

Good luck geting it done in time. Especially if you have to write a few hundred pages in the final few days. I couldn't do that. It's taken me like almost two weeks to write the first twelve pages of my story haha.

contest stories

12 years ago

Apologies for stretching the page, but in case anyone was interested, this is the map of ideas that I've been doing for Apprentice.

contest stories

12 years ago
Hot damn

contest stories

12 years ago

22 pages, 30 links. Three chapters complete. Like I said, short and sweet. October, that's EXTREMELY complicated! Hope you can make sense of it. ;)

contest stories

12 years ago

Its unlikely that i will finish in time, im going to scrap my story and start again, nothing about the theme of my story pleases me any more, with the exception of the very beginning. It all must be changed.

contest stories

12 years ago
That is really too bad ugilick.

contest stories

12 years ago

yeah, hope you'll finish.

contest stories

12 years ago

What is to be redone will be done better; I will start now, and work hard. Rather or not I finish by the deadline is almost irrelevant to me, I do have one regret, and that is that I committed to this. I said i would do it, and now I will put great effort into completing it. To commit and not follow through is like being a rain cloud that passes over a droughted area, without giving any rain.

contest stories

12 years ago
Sorry that simile went right over my head. Could you dumb it down?

contest stories

12 years ago

i feel as though a peice of my sould was just ripped from my chest, i spent an hour and a half on a page of great length, the introduction to my story. i then hit close and save changes, happily thinking about what a fine job a had done, only to have it tell me i broke it, and it was all lost. this is certainly the most discouraging thing i could imagine enduring in writing. to start over full of vigor, only to have it flattend back to its foundation in an instant. i should have forseen it, i knew that glitch could happen, but i did not prepair for it. why? blast it all.

contest stories

12 years ago

soul*

contest stories

12 years ago
This has never happened to me, but if it were to, I'd just hit backspace, it would probably recover the lost stuff. But really, just copy your text before you hit close!

contest stories

12 years ago

That happens to me as well, you just have to right-click and select "Back" and everything's still there. Scared me a few times though, now I copy everything before closing every page just in case.

contest stories

12 years ago
Except back space wouldn't work if it were in a pop up window, the way that writing pages for stories in the advanced editor are. Once you close a browser window, you can't get stuff back so easily.

contest stories

12 years ago

The pop-up window doesn't close for me. The error page shows up in the pop-up window (which is why I have to right click and select from a menu to go back instead of hitting the back button).

contest stories

12 years ago

I hate the "you broke it" pop up. I lost one of my best pages with that!

contest stories

12 years ago

unfortunatly it did not work, it was beyond my ability to recover, Ive put alot of thinking into it though, and i think i can do that page agian, but better.

contest stories

12 years ago

Definitely. In my past experiences where I've lost large chunks of writing it usually ends up better the second time around anyway, so it ends up being a good thing (albeit annoying). Not the best of things to happen to you when you have a deadline though (paper due in, this contest etc). Let us know how it goes!

contest stories

12 years ago

Ok, this is a completely different first page then the one i made before, this one is far shorter, and i feel that it is far better. for reference, Tycho, and Justania are large empires.

I am a common man, of no great strength or wisdom. I understand wisdom to be the more valuable of the two, but I fear I have less of it then I have strength. I am one of 99 men under the authority of Captain Felix Amourite. We are marching south to deal with reports of frequent bandit attacks, near the land of Justania, our long time ally. While the attacks are being carried out near the borders, they are most often on our side of the line, so Tyco is expected to deal with it, and deal with it, Tyco shall. The way I understand it is, that you can’t send a large army after bandits, or they will just scatter and run, but I also figure that bandits run, rather anyone is chasing them or not. All this means is that it takes a cunning man to do this task, a man who can think on his feet. Now I don’t know what the road ahead has to offer, but I do know what I am to do as I follow it, I need to do what Felix says, even if it doesn’t make sense to me. This is for two reasons of course, one is because he is my superior, and if I don’t follow his lead, others might follow my example, and if others follow my example then no one will follow our leaders lead, and if no one follows the leader then everyone will go in a different direction. Should that happen, then it would be of dire consequence. The second reason is that earlier today a man gave Felix a sharp bit of lip, and Felix took that lip, and never gave it back. Read into that however you like, but I know that the man will never offer up an opposing tone with Felix again.
This trek is recorded as a 10 day travel by horseback, and there is no doubt in my mind that Felix will drive us there in only week, despite the rugged terrain. I don’t know what his plans are, but I don’t really need to know them either. I have to trust that if I do what he says, then it will work out in the end.

So, am I off my rocker, or is this pretty good?

contest stories

12 years ago

obviously nobody likes it, haha, thats fine actually, this story would be to linear sence the only choices the reader could make would be deciding what Felix does in the more important situations.

contest stories

12 years ago
You're giving up on it because no one replied to your post in the forums??

contest stories

12 years ago

absolutly not, ive shown it to several people, and while no one has told me thats its by any means not good, the more i thought about ti, the more i relized this particular plot wont work, its to linear. Im looking through my notebook for a more appropriate plot line, it realy is not a lack of ideas that causes writers block, it is to many ideas.

contest stories

12 years ago
That's really true. Best of luck.

contest stories

12 years ago
I find the easiest way to come up with a story game for CYS is to have a 'theme' not a plot. Then you create a part of the story with the first page, and go off on tangents based on the choices your character -could- make, and then get him/her mixed up in something that has to do with a plot.

contest stories

12 years ago

I always, ALWAYS write in notepad and then copy and paste to the site just in case something like this were to happen. Anything I write for any site I'm going to want to have a backup copy of anyway.

contest stories

12 years ago

i fully understand, and caution is now being taken.

contest stories

12 years ago

Pages 110

Feels good man, feels good. if i keep up my current pace, i will finish in time. as far as chapters go, im about 5% done

contest stories

12 years ago

Wow. 110.

I've been messing around with multiple ideas, but I finally settled on one. Now that exams are over I finally have time to relax and create.

Progress: 0 pages.

contest stories

12 years ago

I'm almost 50 pages in, I don't have any idea how many i'll make it though. I find I tend to section off my plot and each section ends up as long as it needs to be.

I might be over my head with this though, I'm using item's for combat and although the main plot never changes, the character's decisions can take them to various places, which result in different outcomes. Add in the fact that I have 1 main and like 15ish supporting characters (4 of which you can have try to have a relationship with, which may or may not affect the plot depending on the character) and it's gonna get complicated once I get past this initial stage....

*Sigh*

Wish I started this a month or so ago....

contest stories

12 years ago

Your story sounds like its going to be realy good man, I have faith in you, you already have a featured story to boot.

contest stories

12 years ago

I started multiple fantasy stories with varying themes and genres, and now I don't think I'll make it.

contest stories

12 years ago
You're not alone. I've heard many people say that.

contest stories

12 years ago

Well I'm having a bit of a dilemma.

I hardly been able to touch my story in about a month due to various real life difficulties, and now I'm wondering if it might be best to just throw the towel in and submit what I have, even if it's just basically the intro. I got right up to the point where the three main storylines branched off before having to put it aside, they're all at decent enough stopping/transition points, and the more I think about it the better it seems to leave it at that for now rather than bash out the maybe twenty or so pages I calculate I can complete in the next week and having it abruptly end in the middle of the action.

I'm still going to finish the story, but this way I can do it at my own pace--I'm way to into the characters and the setting now and the last thing I want to do is sacrifice quality because I'm in a rush. :(

contest stories

12 years ago

On second thought, it's occurred to me that I might be able to at least sort of salvage the situation if I'm willing to jettison the 'choose your' part of the site name. As in, by successfully reaching a certain point in the game, the reader 'unlocks' an entertaining short story as their reward. It's all in how you present things. (good God these smileys are hideous)

No idea how that idea would fly around here though.

contest stories

12 years ago

I realy hate this, haha, I was about to sit down and start writing, because I realy feel like writing again, but the long growing desire to use another idea is all I can think about. I know whats going to happen, but I'm not going to make myself keep writing something if I dont want to do it, because it will show in my quality of writing.