Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Focus On One Game

12 years ago

Hey everyone. I've been noticing that lately, practically everyone here are working on three stories or more. In my opinion, If you work on too many games, It gets you distracted from your other games. It's just from my point of view.

Focus On One Game

12 years ago
And that's absolutely right, I'm one of those people. :p

Regardless, writing a story you are not interested might not be a good idea either. Interest usually returns, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Focus On One Game

12 years ago

It's never a good idea to ride a hore 'till it dies. You need to give it a rest every now and again, and if that means using another horse untill it's ready, so be it.

Focus On One Game

12 years ago

If you stop riding the first hores, it will get fat and out of shape, then you cant ride it anymore.

Focus On One Game

12 years ago
Only if stop riding it for too long. A little alteration is a good thing.

Focus On One Game

12 years ago

Except you get a thrill from a fresh new horse, and before you know it, your desire to ride the first horse is totally gone. Instead you find a new thrill, a third horse.

Focus On One Game

12 years ago
Well somebody sees the glass half empty

Focus On One Game

12 years ago

No, just speaking from experience, having the facts isnt the same thing as pessamism.

Focus On One Game

12 years ago

Technically, how you interperet the facts can be, but I see your point.

Focus On One Game

12 years ago
This analogy sucks all around hahaha

Focus On One Game

12 years ago
Well, I think how most of the people on the site deal with stress from working to hard is the forum games. Usually they are fun and fairly non-stressful.

Focus On One Game

12 years ago
Also, some people may seem to be working on more than one story game, but they could be simply putting up a story in order to put their ideas quickly there that way they let them off their minds, so they can focus on the story their working on and not worry about losing those good ideas for later when they can focus on the other stories they've thought of.

That's what I do. And sometimes its kind of nice to have a change of pace.

Focus On One Game

12 years ago
I never, ever, EVER will be working on simultaneous stories at once, EVER. And neither will basically any professional author. I agree completely, it's pretty much ludicrous. To me, writing a story takes every ounce of creative power and focus that I've got, and every story requires a different mindset. I personally can't just switch between mindsets without losing significant quality.

Focus On One Game

12 years ago
Moved this to the writing workshop

Focus On One Game

12 years ago

I hate how when you accidentally press backspace, then forward again, and wham, the text is gone. I spent at least 45 minutes writing all that.

Well anyway, going to make this short since I've already spent 45 writing what you have read. Working on several simultaneous stories does not affect all writing quality to my knowledge, it is only a matter of opinion. Do not succumb to JJJ's professional writer's criticism, for one, this is a story game site who some exploit as a hobby and not a recurrent job where you have to make quality count for the deadline you're trying to meet so you can actually feed yourself and have a roof over your head. Second, not all professional writers focus only on one story at a time because not every person writes in the same way or feel the same way or think the same way. Some just are better while multi-tasking and some not so much, therefore, do not take everyone's criticism to the point where you try writing with your left hand instead of the right where most of your work usually gets done. However, it also wouldn't hurt to try having one story and see if it works for you. Look at the quality, is it better or worse? If better, good for you, if worse, ignore the peer pressure.

Focus On One Game

12 years ago

what you haven't read*

Focus On One Game

12 years ago
At first I thought Bo was talking about riding a whore until she died, which would be quite an endurance test given how experienced whores usually are.

Anyway I've done it (Written two stories at the same time, not riding whore until she died), but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're good at multi-tasking and not writing large complex stories to begin with. Usually one or both of the stories suffer or don't get finished, so I prefer to focus.

Still, if you have ideas for other stories you should still write an outline of them down somewhere just so you don't forget them. You might even be able able to incorporate the idea in your current story.

Focus On One Game

12 years ago
I liked Ugilick's reply: "If you stop riding the first hores, it will get fat and out of shape, then you cant ride it anymore."

Focus On One Game

12 years ago

I'm sure all whores appreciate the sentiment.

Focus On One Game

12 years ago

Ger, horse not hores. I need to double check my posts more often then I do.

Focus On One Game

12 years ago
You know, this might actually be the first time this happened (at least for so long I can't remember), but I actually agree with Erodite. Do what makes you feel comfortable, everyone writes differently.

Focus On One Game

12 years ago
But if I do something than everyone should do it! Duh!

No though, I think that if you look at all of the highest quality works, you'll probably find that they consumed all of the author's attention while they were in progress.

Focus On One Game

12 years ago
Also, I'd like to direct you to this thread: http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/message.aspx?MessageId=6544

Focus On One Game

12 years ago

I am extremely guilty of doing this.