Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

I write like

12 years ago

hi guys

I recently find this website where you can enter some of your writing and find out which famous author you write like.

www.iwl.me

I figured someyou might be interrested.

Apparently I write like H. P. Lovecraft or sometimes like J. K. Rowling, what about you guys?

I write like

12 years ago

I put a battle scene from a story I'm working on and got David Foster Wallace. Anyone know who that is?

I write like

12 years ago

I write like Robert Stevenson.

I write like

12 years ago

Hey, didn't EndMaster do a thread like this once? Awesome posted on it.

I write like

12 years ago

Also, it says I write like Ursula K. Le Guin.

I write like

12 years ago

I'm pretty sure I don't. Also when I put in the ending of my book it said J. K. Rowling.

I write like

12 years ago

I typed random words and got Joyce James....

I write like

12 years ago

Okay...I tried it five times using different passages of my story and each time they gave me a different author. I'm not convinced of their ability to reflect upon my writing style.

I write like

12 years ago

Oh btw, if you do write like H.P. Lovecraft, I would most definitely want to read some of your work. H.P. Lovecraft is one of my favorite authors.

I write like

12 years ago

Haha, same here.  Lovecraft is a beast.  I wish I had half his creativity n skill

I write like

12 years ago

I decided to follow up on Erudite's experiment,  and so I added the same page multiple times and got the same author every time. This shows that they don't just randomly pick a page, but it doesn't neccesarily make it reliable. I then did the same thing he did and entered different passages, and instead H.P. Lovecraft. Those are the only two authors who came up.

So what I've come to believe is that this analyzer simply scans your writing for certain themes and styles that other writers use, and they give you the name of the author the passage most resembles. I'd say it's somewhat accurate, seeing as I entered at least 12 passages and got the same 2 authors every time, but I still wouldn't trust it 100%

I write like

12 years ago

I got J.R.R. Tolkien.

I write like

12 years ago
I put the small amount of work I have done and got

I write like
Chuck Palahniuk

Never heard of him.

I write like

12 years ago
The only book I have heard of on his list of books he has done, is fight club.

I write like

12 years ago

Fight Club is good. Like, a bunch of people said Gladstone's Notes from the Internet Apocalypse was a lot like it, and Notes from the Internet Apocalypse is awesome.

I write like

12 years ago

I got Mary Shelly and Shakespeare, haha.  I think the site should be called ego-stroker; they're not gonna give you shitty unfamous writers if your work is pooey.  But whatever, it's all in good fun, I can dig the results.

I remember someone actually posted this link a couple years back, actually.  Don't remember who I got

I write like

12 years ago
My guy is pretty obscure.

I write like

12 years ago

Yeah, most of them are pretty good, but it is possible to get Stephenie Meyer, though I suspect you would have to be pretty bad to get that one.

Besides, it seems to be mostly about which words you use, as writing vampire a bunch of times gets you Bram Stoker, but writing wizard a bunch of times gets you J. K. Rowling.

I write like

12 years ago
Stephanie....Meyer? Oh god.

I write like

12 years ago

Some people who recently read my newer stuff said Hemingway or Sedaris for me.

I write like

12 years ago

I always get Chuck Palahniuk. I have no clue who he is, but I know he wrote Fight Club (and the movie version of that is like the favourite movie of just about every hipster friend I have).

I write like

12 years ago
(and me)

I write like

12 years ago

(and me)

I write like

12 years ago
You guys never heard of the infamous "Guts" story, Chuck wrote?

http://chuckpalahniuk.net/features/shorts/guts

Enjoy!

I write like

12 years ago
That was unquestionably one of the most disturbing things I have ever read. Thanks, Endmaster. It was awesome.

I write like

12 years ago
I feel ill after reading that. Normally I ignore safety warnings and will read it anyway but I think you should have put one on.

I write like

12 years ago
I consider myself desensitized to the point that very few things faze me. I found that extremely disturbing. Kudos to him haha.

I was already working on a poem for English class so I just put that on there, and I apparently write like Dan Brown. So that's fun, I guess.

I write like

12 years ago

Hahah, ahhh that was somethin, End.  Really good

I write like

12 years ago

That was screwed up. Amazing writer, but that story is so screwed up.

I write like

12 years ago

Haha, I put in one of my debate speeches and got William Shakespeare :P

I write like

12 years ago

Hah, I put in both my Mock Trial pretrials (pros and def) and got the same guy: Cory Doctorow

A speech about free speech in the US I did for something called We The People (gov't course w/ an intradistrict competition at semester's end): HP Lovecraft

What I found is both my mocktrial speeches were about the 4th amendment, and so was my third speech in WTP.  All three got Doctorow, haha.  And my first 2 WTP speeches were both about the first amendment, and both got Lovecraft. 

I write like

12 years ago
So remember that collaborative writing project from a while back. Well I posted that in there and it said.
I write like
Dan Brown

I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

So he wrote Angles and demons and The lost symbol. Pretty cool huh?

I write like

12 years ago

Haha, that is pretty cool. I wish I got a more recent author, I put in the story that I'm currently working on and it said Mark Twain.  I mean, seriously? I'm pretty jealous of the people who got Chuck Palahniuk...

I write like

12 years ago

I would be ecstatic if I could right like Mark Twain. haha

I write like

12 years ago

Lol, I think I just wanted an author who wrote a bit more gritty because I was kinda aiming for that style. But yeah, he's a great author! Honestly, anyone other than Stephanie Meyers is fine with me :D

I write like

12 years ago

Gritty? haha  How so?

You should read Letters From the Earth - you can find it online - stuff's awesome. haha

I write like

12 years ago

Haha, I guess I'm trying to do the exact opposite of what I did before. Instead of sappy, I want to go to the other extreme :) Ooh, I haven't heard of that before but the synopsis looks very interesting. Did not realize Twain would write something like this, lol <3

I write like

12 years ago

I write like Chuck Palahnuik apparently.

I have no idea who that is.

I write like

12 years ago

Oh he's the guy who wrote the book "Fight Club".

i guess I'm just that awesome

I write like

12 years ago

I tried it with a page from 3 of my stories and got Chuckie twice and Stephen King once

I write like

12 years ago

I put in a few different works and got a different answer many times. Chuck Palahniuk came up a few times though, so not completely random.

I write like

12 years ago

I got H.P. Lovecraft and Chuck Palahniuk too.

I write like

12 years ago

Put in some lyrics I wrote today, got David Foster Wallace, which is awesome.  I remember my 12th grade Lit teacher loved this guy.  Wrote one of his favorite books of all time - Infinite Jest. 

I write like

12 years ago
I did this before and this is what I got last time I put in the first page:

Tales From the Basement- Chuck Palahniuk
Repression- David Foster Wallace
TRASH- Stephen King
Paradise Violated- Ursula K. Le Guin
Legend- David Foster Wallace
Love SICK- David Foster Wallace
Alpha Wolf- Kurt Vonnegut
Geek- Kurt Vonnegut
Ground Zero- Margaret Atwood