Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Is the world going to end in (2012)?

11 years ago
What you think about this?

11 years ago

I would be surprised by it. But then there is also the 2013 interpretation of the Mayan Calendar to try again if it doesn’t.

Personally, I think the world is only going to “end” once people are satisfied that it isn’t really going to end. Give us a little bit of smooth sailing after all the doomsday prophesies are proven wrong – and then WHAMO!

11 years ago

I suspect one of the following will cause this

*Robot Rebellion

*Giant Rouge Meteorite

*World War Three

11 years ago
A giant red meteorite? My God that's terrible!

11 years ago

I'd bet on the metorite myself, all color aside =)

11 years ago
Why would it?

11 years ago

Two words.

Leap Year

11 years ago
he has a point. Because the mayan calender didn't have leap years it would have happened months ago.

11 years ago

11 years ago

Well, I'm sharing this video with my friend.

11 years ago

11 years ago
I don't think the world is going to end in 2012. I personally have no definite idea, but I would guess 2033. I have a friend who thinks it will end in 2017, because a lot of things have happened that were bad for the Catholic Church on years ending in 17. Luther's reformation, for one.

11 years ago
Especially WW3 would be the reason for it.

11 years ago
Then why not 1017,1117,1217,1317,1417, etc. etc.?

11 years ago
Have you ever heard of the Prophecies of Malachi? They are supposed to describe every Pope from Peter to the last one, and according to the Bible, the world will end shortly after the last Pope dies. If the Prophecies are right, the current Pope is the second-to-last one.

11 years ago
Interesting, I haven't heard that theory before.

11 years ago

Nah, isn't this like how people reacted to the year 2000?

http://blogington.com/7-dates-the-world-was-supposed-to-end-but-didnt/

11 years ago
Everyone knows Mayans are wildly popular for their esteemed calendar and Mayan calendar puts forth the end of the world; for it would take place sometime in the winter solstice (2012).

11 years ago

Ehh...according to some articles, the Mayan calender didn't predict the end of the world.

http://news.discovery.com/space/the-2012-mayan-calendar-doomsday-date-might-be-wrong.html

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/05/oldest-known-maya-calendar-found-no-signs-of-2012-doomsday

11 years ago
666 is probably millennium's most mystical number belonging to the devil and doom and I'm sure it has some link to the 2012 end of world predictions. So, after some research I found that with reference to the 666 calculation, the world has predicted to come to an end in 1998 (clearly it misfired). Many people sold all there belongings, ignored all their work, etc. when the new year 1999 came, they were highly disappointed. However, later it was said that approximately 603,729 died in 6th July 1998, so technically the rapture (a concept in christianity relating to the return of Jesus) did take place. However, because of the vastness of earth's population, these 603,729 deadths were unnoticed. So, world might come to an end in (2012).

11 years ago

So... everything you say is based on speculation?

11 years ago

Admittedly, I'm a cynic. I'll only start believing the world ends moments before it actually does.

11 years ago

Couldn't it also be that instead of the ending of this calendar meaning the world is over, couldn't it mean that it's just the beginning of the next calendar?

11 years ago

Didn't we already have a thread where we talked about the mayan calander?

11 years ago
The world would end when we die, lol. The world won't end...atleast not in 2012.

11 years ago
No one has seen the future eric.

11 years ago

I don't know.

11 years ago
The world will end when Professor Hubert J. Farmsworth accidentally drops his Doomsday device.

11 years ago
Different people, different thinking!

11 years ago
Safari Joe: "Some people just don't get comedy."

11 years ago
Exactly, Leap Year. I don't believe the world is ending.

11 years ago

I don't believe the world's ending this year... just because I have no reason to believe it's ending this year. :0

I lent the idea more credit when I believed the Mayan people actually claimed it would, but nope. haha  Turns out the calender had to end at some point. haha  There might've been some spiritual or even astronomical significance behind the date, but I couldn't say for sure.  But yah, nothing about the end of the world or anything like that.

Other than that.. mm, can't say I've got any reason to believe it will end, nope.

11 years ago
When the Earth explodes, we can all go to a different planet.

11 years ago
Not if it explodes in 2017. I highly doubt we'll be that advanced in 5 years.

11 years ago

We might have a moonbase by then. So we could live up there before we either ran out of supplies or crashed into another star.

11 years ago
Okay Gingritch.

11 years ago
I know that everyone makes fun of that idea but it is really a good one.

11 years ago
Why? I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I'm seriously trying to see the reason behind a moon base because I don't know it.

11 years ago

I'm going to agree with Bo, unless we're able to produce food up there and don't have to send masive quantities of it by rocket every couple of weeks, it's a bad idea.

11 years ago
Especially in a recession, when we need to focus on Earth's problems.

11 years ago

I don't think that world is going to end in  2012

World war 3 can be start . 

11 years ago
If WW would start then I'm sure earth is going to end; but you are saying 'WW' can start but earth would not end?

11 years ago

If WW3 will start then  I'm not sure that earth will end or  not    

11 years ago

Man, I can't wait for the big WWIII! BRING IT!

11 years ago

I think it's pretty much a normal calendar.  Imagine how many babies are going to be born in 2013...-_-.

11 years ago
Third and final World War envisions an attack on Iraq, Iran and/or Syria as being the trigger to set the entire Middle East into fiery conflagration. Once America is firmly entrenched into the MiddleEast with the majority of first-line units, North Korea is to attack South Korea. Then, with America's forces stretched well beyond the limit, China is to invade Taiwan. This will usher in the start of World War Three.

What's your opinion on it, is it true?

11 years ago
Sounds possible to me.

11 years ago
I dont think we would ever go into Iraq again, though maybe Iran, or Syria if oil got expensive enough. We would probably only send limited support to S.Korea because there easily capable of taking on N.Korea, though if China started making a move we would send troops to them.

11 years ago

I fortell the future of the 2nd Korean War, North Korea fails and Korea becomes whole again.

11 years ago
On the Middle East: There's too much public unrest for the US to re-enter Iraq. However, with Iran's recent nuclear controversy (despite the fact we cannot prove they have nuclear weapons) that can be a believable attack point. Although I've been looking to research the topic, I don't know enough about Syria to comment about that topic. Fortunately, I don't think America has enough interest in the Middle East (at least when considering the public) to get into a conflict with the entire Middle East, especially when they were protesting the death tolls from an OCCUPATIONAL FORCE (caps for emphasis not yelling) in one country, let alone an all-out war with all of them.

On the Korean Conflict: However, NK has been threatening to invade SK for centuries, there's no reason to believe they would do so now. Especially when the whole plan (as suggested here) has it hinged on the US being unable to respond due to a Middle-Eastern conflict which will probably not happen. If NK does attack, it will likely lead to not only a US response, but an entire coalition of nations response, and Kim Jon Un (or at least his advisors) would know this.

On CHina: I didn't know there was currently a big issue over Taiwon, so I've never looked into it. Because of that, I can't really comment on how invested the US is with it. However, as the whole thing depends on the US being tied up in the Middle East as well, I doubt it will happen as the catalyst is unlikely to happen.

11 years ago
I believe that the world will not end in 2012, but will fall to mankind's own demise sooner or later because of idiotic decisions of people.

11 years ago
I dont belive it will end at 21/12/2012 but people will use it as a excuse to riot. Oddly my birthday is at 22/12 yay depression –_–

11 years ago
There have been about 514 Leap Years since Caesar created it in 45BC. Without the extra day every 4 years, today (Feb. 29, 2012) would be July 28, 2013.
Also, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap year…. so technically the world should have ended 7 months ago.

11 years ago

You didn't see the above video did you?

11 years ago
TL;DR I guess.

11 years ago
Yay! We're alive

11 years ago

Why would you rev this?  =.=

11 years ago

<--

He's a thread necromancer, he raises them to haunt the forums until they are able to break free.

11 years ago

Someone hit the 'Snooze Button' on the Mayan Death Clock....

11 years ago

I lost track of the times that the world was supposed to end. I think one guy wrote a book called "88 reasons why the world will end in 1988" And when that came and went and didn't happen he wrote a book called "89 reasons why the world will end in 1989" cheeky

11 years ago

lol, personally I think the world will end through a WWIII or a nuclear war with the major player's being communism and stuff like that vs. Democracy's and stuff based on Ideal's and such or just some weird crap blow us all up.

11 years ago

We would still survive, most of the world won't be directed bombed during said war and even with the aftereffects those nations would still be able to pull together and survive. That and earth would just restore itself later.

11 years ago

Even if nukes were to be used, literally hundreds of nukes have been detonated on planet earth. It's nothing that can't be corrected. This is a pretty cool video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCF7vPanrY

11 years ago

11 years ago

I think 'murican States have made a point of their nuke supply.  A pretty big point, if ya ask me XD

Soviets....have quite a few, too.

France and UK...need to stop trying so hard.

North Korea...is only a baby to the business.  PFFFT

11 years ago

Yeah many people would survive but I'm not talking complete destruction plus let's face it when it comes to supply of nuclear war heads most nations are full of bullshit besides that point combine every missile even non nuclear ones they could destroy most if the land mass or turn them into a wasteland. Look at ground zero game

11 years ago

ITs a game. It is not equal to reality.

11 years ago

Hmmm. That sounds a lot like American Politics...

11 years ago

Come on Aman, we all know that endmaster's games > actual history

11 years ago

True. Can't argue with Endmaster. It's a dangerous thing to do.

11 years ago

Thanks for reposting the link, I dunno why mine didn't work.

11 years ago

"Communism and stuff like that vs. Democracy's and stuff based on Ideal's..."

I fear that the education system may have done you a disservice.

11 years ago

That may be true but the issue remains that even in history people have fought based on Ideals. And even if it is a game it does contain a inkling of how it MIGHT happen if nuclear war were to happen.

11 years ago

hahahahaha, welcome new Marmot

11 years ago

I didn't say anything about the game, it has nothing to do with what I quoted. Nor did I insinuate that there are not precedents for fighting on the basis of ideals. Allow me to be specific about the problems with what you said:

1. There are too many apostrophes.

2. There are too many capitalized letters.

3. Unless I read it wrong, you seem to be stating that nations which practice "stuff based on ideals" would side with democracies in this hypothetical upcoming war. This is akin to saying that the nations on the opposing side are not based on ideals. If they are communist nations, then this cannot be true, since communism is an ideal.

4. I don't understand what is meant by the phrase "communism and stuff like that." What constitutes a political ideology which is considered to be like communism? Communism, in its genuine form, is quite distinct from any other political ideology to the best of my knowledge.

5. If a war was to be fought on the basis of ideals, those ideals would almost certainly have to be mutually exclusive (otherwise why fight the war?). However, communism and democracy are not mutually exclusive.

6. Most contemporary nations with nuclear capabilities are neither communist nor democratic. How, then, would a conflict between these two ideologies escalate into a worldwide nuclear conflict?

11 years ago

I don't know and "communism and stuff like that" are governments like communism. I am not talking mutually exclusive more like how the U.S. is a indirect democracy and England is a monarchy but with strong democratic tie's.

11 years ago

You don't know - what?

Governments like communism - how?

Your final sentence - what does it mean?

11 years ago

(sigh) just forget it, seriously this is getting way to in depth

11 years ago

I personally find this amusing

11 years ago

I believe it is when you don't have to argue on something that will most likely not happen and if it does long after I'm dead

11 years ago

I do not find it amusing that many of our nation's young people have only a rudimentary understanding of apostrophes and political ideologies.

11 years ago

I'm pretty sure it is only a passing stage.

11 years ago

Yeah yeah

11 years ago

I found it amusing that he thought you were going too in depth by simply asking him to explain what he said with actual logic. I thought it hilarious.

11 years ago

guys, he's like 14, give him a break. 

11 years ago

Well problem with nuclear war is that most of the players (I'm looking at you, North Korea!) know the MAD doctrine. And since nobody 'wins' in this scenario only something akin to terrorist attack on launch centers with fabricated/stolen launch key (ah, thank you Hollywood for putting completely impossible ideas in my head) or some kind of new weapon could change this. Also what Hugo says isn't quite right now, because even Russia, which was in the past communist/dictatorship now gets a lot of trade and money from foreign countries. This world seems too connected... also the Iron Curtain is no more.

So we're safe from the nuclear war... at least for now. Maybe aliens will invade and kill us all? :P

11 years ago

I'm seventeen, and I was still more intelligent than that at 14, and I hold myself as average. That's no excuse.

11 years ago

Look at my district there is no AP history and my L.A. teacher is complete crap we've done only two essay's! I am a lot better at math and science. Beside's that point our books since 2008 have been written 5 grades below where your reading level is supposed to believe, So I am reading books that a third grader should understand and I get so bored in class. I am in AP L.A. and math. And we haven't learned about government's I'm in 8th grade.

11 years ago

Haha bro, I haven't taken a single AP class, and as far as I'm aware neither has Ugi, yet we're both far more literate. We're also from the least funded school district in the 11th worst funded state, and that county covers three high schools, two middle schools, a primary school, an intermediate school, and two kindergartens which all take the funding so trust me, we know what it's like to have bad schools. Textbooks have nothing to do with reading level since as far as I'm aware, you don't spend your spare time reading a textbook.The majority of our classes get less than a classroom set of textbooks, most of which are outdated, and it hasn't affected my reading level, as I've always had books I've actually read, and I took the time to learn to spell. I'm a senior and I've just now taken a class on governments, which is mostly just common knowledge. I don't see a single reason to excuse basic literacy or inability to use logical process in what you just wrote

11 years ago

I have a very high reading level but from what I know I can't write worth crap. I have trouble getting my thoughts on to paper and assume about the reader. Beside's this point my school district is one of the worst funded in the state and our teacher's in kindergarten through first grade didn't even teach us basic addition or subtraction. The second grade and up just assumed we were taught addition and subtraction. My cousin wasn't taught it at all, I had to teach myself math and Literature. So excuse me if a second grader couldn't teach himself well. (this could be interpreted as mad but I'm not just explaining.) 

11 years ago

Haha, I don't even see where you're coming from here, I'm talking about your inability to process logical functions, like in the communism example, and showing how just because your school isn't well funded it doesn't excuse your grammatical incompetence. I really don't see how math problems relate whatsoever. And trust me, I'm freaking terrible at math :P.

11 years ago

Maybe he can't add up the grammar or something... Wait, that doesn't make sense.

11 years ago

or maybe he can't discern the grammatical importance of subtraction... oh wait

11 years ago

Oh hardehar make fun of me if you want but here is how I relates. The fact is I wasn't even taught math something we use all the time you expect them to teach grammar? The last time they taught the barest hint of grammar was a year ago. Let's face when it comes to grammar I suck.

11 years ago

Bro, have you ever been in an Alabamian school system ("Alabamian" doesn't pop up red in google chrome so I'm assuming it's correct :P), our grammatical education is pretty terrible, yet we came out ok. Don't blame the schools and just give up, you've gotta better yourself. Weirdly enough, when I realized I was lacking, I learned a lot of my grammar from video games xD. Sources to learn are all around us.

11 years ago

Also you have access to the entire internet, so learning proper grammar and math should not be that hard to do. All it requires is time.

11 years ago

It's not that wierd to learn from video games. When I returned to the states, I learned how to read and talk from deciphering what the characters in video games and TV shows were saying.

11 years ago

I learned that 'morality' thing from videogames with 'good' and 'evil' choices. Hehehe, 'morality'. I'd always wondered what it was.

11 years ago

I never said I didn't need to improve my grammar and I am not blaming just the schools (they did contribute) I know I stink when it comes to grammar. I could learn more but I am saying everything I've learned with grammar is self taught.

11 years ago

Haha I don't think so, I don't think so at all.

11 years ago

Wait... England is a monarchy? How did I not know this? Now I can blame the recession on the Queen! ^_^

11 years ago

Sure you can I suppose.

11 years ago

I'm worried now... Do people in America think the Queen actually rules England?

11 years ago

Well, we also think that Europe is a country, so I'd assume so.

11 years ago

We speak French there, right? cheeky

11 years ago

What's that? I was certain you Europeans spoke european. 

11 years ago

How silly of me. To be fair, if the Queen ruled England that would be awesome! I'd totally vote for her. laugh

11 years ago

Not if my mustache was running,

11 years ago

That is true. Would make an awesome Epic Rap Battle that would. Aman's Mustache vs The Queen! ^_^

11 years ago

Twould. Though BZ would hijack it like he always does.

11 years ago

And by the end of it the Queen would be addicted to penguin flavored bubble gum and your mustache would have to give a speech every Christmas.

11 years ago

Nah, my mustache is jewish. He can't eat pork or anything.

11 years ago

Mustaches aren't supposed to eat anything in the first place hurhur....

How many more threadjacks are you guys going to go for?  I count 20 so far...

11 years ago

Well my mustache does. I guess you guys don't have godly mustaches though. 

Only twenty? I've done waaaaaaaay more.

11 years ago

On this site?

11 years ago

Yeah, must be. After all, I had a huge amount under my belt when Sabley was here, and I have a huge number under my belt with Briar and BZ.

11 years ago

Bumped up the count to 70.

11 years ago

That, I can believe. Hehehehehehehehe

11 years ago

You reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy shouldn't be that proud lol.

11 years ago

Yeah, I probably shouldn't. But It did steal your trophy in the end.

11 years ago

And I will never forgive you for it.

11 years ago

Never ever? Even if I give you corn bread in LC?

11 years ago

Nope, I'll take the corn bread, throw it on the ground, stomp on it, then destroy your city.

:D

11 years ago

NOT THE CORN BREAD!!!

11 years ago

*nibble nibble nibble

Mmmm... Good Corn Bread, thanks  =)

11 years ago

No!!!!!!!!

11 years ago

Meh, depends, if you have the youth like Hugo, maybe, but the vast majority of America knows how the British Royal Family works :P

11 years ago

Your kidding right? I asked 50 people in my grade to name 10 European countries and about three got 10 most just said " uhhh oh crap"

11 years ago

MURIKA!

11 years ago

Pluto was conquered by the Inca in 74 AD right?  I remember reading that somewhere.

Pluto is an European country?

right?

guys?

11 years ago

Yes Pluto the dog was tamed by the Inca and Mickey stole him to force Pluto to become a attraction at his new park.