Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

What are your favorite features of CYS?

11 years ago

It's been quite a since I've hung out here, and I'm embarassed to say that I kinda forgot about all the interesting features here. Things like... dueling and exp points.

That got me thinking..... what do you guys like about the site? What are some of your favorite features?

Do these "interesting" things like Duels contribute or distract? 

PS -- With rdarras's help, I've got the code to a state where I can finally pick up and maintain it a little bit here and there without a huge risk of breaking everything. So, after an upcoming push, we can safely put in some incremental changes... perhaps like modernizing things like the ancient text editor.

11 years ago

I don't really use the duels but I find them interesting none the less.

My favorite part about the site is the use of variables and scripting.

11 years ago
Ratings and comments...

11 years ago

Like:

duels, especially the 25 Advanced RPS options

everything about EXP points really

banner at top of page

rating and comment system

and, of course, all the great stories and writers

Dislike:

Lack of troll control, especially inability to ban IPs

lack of site updates- all the great suggestions in the Feature Wishing Well are going ignored; they would really make this site one of the best writing sites on the Net imo

incomplete search function

the forum could be improved, it's hard to read a thread when posts are responded to and the response is responded to, etc. as it gets indented with each response

11 years ago

Definitely agree with you on the troll control. I like the way the forums are formatted though (makes it easier to tell what post people are replying to).

11 years ago

It's easy to read the forums when people know how to respond to them correctly.

11 years ago
I don't find it difficult at all to follow along with the forums. People who first start posting sometimes don't get it, but they learn how it's structured eventually.

11 years ago

The advanced editor is great, especially with the addition of scripting. A member called Zikara has also come up with methods of reorganising pages so you can place links to other pages in the middle of paragraphs, or make a pseudo-inventory as a way around the $ITEMSTATE bug. So pretty much the versatility of the editor is amazing if you know what you're doing.

I don't really duel much but it's definitely a great feature that doesn't distract from the site's main purpose at all.

I really like the customisable My Stuff section - the little add-ons are a real nice touch.

I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with the site at all. The only complaints I have are about the unfixed bugs and the lack of FWW posts being completed (though it's completely understandable that you can't be around to do it! Not having a go at you haha).

11 years ago

Good to see you back. Take a look at some of the suggestions. There are some old, approved ones I know you're working through. One is the ability to track/ban IPs. That would be helpful, particularly due to the fact that most people get voted as "banned," then just make infinite accounts and begin blathering again.

11 years ago
My favorite feature here would probably be the storygames, obviously haha. If it was like Wattpad I would just have a "meh" feeling about it, but this place just feels classier (most of the time) and the stories are of higher quality (most of the time).

I love duels, actually. I don't know if they contribute at all, but they certainly don't distract.

The thing I dislike the most is the lack of admins on the site (not trying to pick a fight with any of them, I know that once you get out of highschool and college your life gets really busy). We have 3J, who's a godsend, and October, who's extremely efficient and fair, so it's not that bad though.

The thing I'd want to improve is, like a couple others in the thread, IP tracking. Even if you don't think we should ban IP addresses, it would be very useful if admins could at least see the IP address.

11 years ago
Although October's a moderator, he's a very good one. I didn't mean to imply he's an admin :P

11 years ago

I love the advanced story editor with scripting and variables. Also, the way stories open into their own window.

11 years ago

yours open in their own window?

I'm discriminated....

11 years ago
Mine do most of the time. Occasionally they do not.

11 years ago
The only problem I have is the current editor is somewhat Microsoft Word unfriendly. You can't just neatly cut and paste most of the time without going in and doing some fiddly editing (Things like apostrophes or quotation marks come out as weird symbols, the spacing is never right, etc).

I basically have to turn off the rich text editor to avoid most of the problems and I find the rich text editor sort of handy, but I can't really use it due to the problems I just mentioned.

Not sure if it would be a quick or easy change to do. I remember at IS when the admin was doing an overhaul of the site, all the stories copy/pasted from Word were the more fiddly ones he had to spend time to fix so that they transferred properly to the new coding.

I'd also rather have a standard Bulletin Board Forum where you can quote others, edit your posts for typos, etc., but that's not a priority since the writing stuff is more important. The plus side I see to the current forums is they seem to be immune to spambots (At least the robotic kind, not the trolling kind)

11 years ago
Oh as for favorite thing: I like the ability to directly reply to the comments to my stories. One of the best features as far as I'm concerned.

11 years ago
Endmaster's complaint here, is my greatest grievance as well.

11 years ago
The errors that occur when copying and pasting from Microsoft word is frustrating at the least. I would also like to edit my own posts. The community is my favorite part of the site.

11 years ago

It would be cool if you could actually use EXP points to do something, because as it stands right now I find them to be rather pointless and the source of a lot of whining.

Dueling I don't mind, but since I don't like EXP points, I don't use it.

Favourite feature right now is the comments and stories. Only thing I would change is to have them include their rating for reference. Also would be cool to see the ratings people gave stories on their profile or something like that.

Think the front page could use an update though. Since everyone tries to stear people away from the basic editor, it's rather pointless to list the top ones, so I think we should change the two on the front to "Most Played", and "Highest Rated" (Though some of those might overlap).

11 years ago
I just want a tab in "My Stuff" were it shows all the stories I have read, and what rating a gave them. Also maybe a thing on my profile that shows all my favorite stories.

11 years ago
I love the random story button, always takes me to new and mostly interesting places.

11 years ago

you can check what you have and have not read by checking the Storygames section under the individual sections. Each individual story will show you your rating if you're interested.

11 years ago

I've actually used EXP points as reasons to be proud :P I've constantly wanted to up my rank by using EXP.

11 years ago
I would have to agree with Oct on his complainants.

I like the forums and community here.

I also believe we need more admins or at least moderators.

11 years ago
Also fixing the search function would be fantastic.