Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

The "Back Button" (Storygames)

11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, all! Another question...

What do you think about the ability to go back a page in a storygame? Do you like it as a reader? What about as an author?

11 years ago
As a reader it allows me to easily progress through all the branches of a storygame. As an author it depends on whether or not I want the story to be like a game (meaning what you get is what you get) or like a story that you can turn back and try again. It's my belief that it should be an option that the author can choose to implement into the story.

11 years ago

Agreed.

11 years ago
^Agreed, for those exact reasons.

11 years ago

I agree too. someone should post this in the Feature Wishing Well

11 years ago
I like it as both. I like the ability to. Both change my mind when I'm reading a story and not have to start over again if I end up getting stabbed in the back or something because I made the wrong decisions (because I'm not spending another twenty minutes going through the same thing just to outwit that traitor). And as an author, I've heard that some people view it as cheating, but frankly, I don't mind people cheating in my story games. The story is mainly for the story, and the back button helps make sure the readers an get the best out of the story.

11 years ago

The back button is great. As a reader it allows me to explore all options and to avoid having to play through an entire storygame again because of one bad decision. As an author I don't see any downside to having a back button.

11 years ago

First time I read EndMaster's necromancer, I didn't knew about the "go back" button, so i spent like 3 hours trying to solve it.

After i found the button, i managed to get to the good ending in about 2 hours ( yes,  read all the details)

11 years ago
I proposed a while back that comments should be displayed not all with the score but also the number of time the back button was used.

11 years ago

Ooh that would be Awesome!!!

11 years ago

I love the back button and Ugilick's idea is the only change I would like to see added to it.

11 years ago

Agreed, this one change is the only reasonable addition to the storygames.

11 years ago

I use the back button frequently, and I don't believe it takes away from the game. When click the wrong link and lose the game, I don't want to go through the entire story (especially when it's one like Eternal or OTMS) to get to the same spot so i can take the different choice. The back button allows you to just click one button and keep playing the storygame, rather than having to play through the entire game again to make another decision, which would probably act as more of a deterrent than anything as it would just be a hassle to explore all the options.

TLDR: I don't want to get rid of it because I think it'll decrease efficiency.

11 years ago

I don't like the back button but we should keep it. I almost never use it.

11 years ago

I played Eternal before I found out about the back button, but I just used the browser's inbuilt back button for that.