Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 6/27/2012: Automatically rejected as part of the FWW clean out.

The mural thingy on the top.

11 years ago

I know it's a little early to ask for this, but:

Whenever I see the picture on the top, the first thing to come to mind is retro, vintage, old.

I'm not sure what to suggest, but maybe somebody can create another picture?  It's a breath of fresh air to change from the masthead picture to something, newer?

11 years ago

chocobot made that. I think he even did it on MS paint.

11 years ago

I think everything to the left  is great but the rest needs something... Sparky, for lack of a better word.

11 years ago

the face is completely wrong. The forehead is too small, the nose is too wall-like, the mouth is simpl strnage and the face is expression-less. That guy needs a face lift. And some botox.

11 years ago

I think it's rather iconic as is.

11 years ago

Agreed, the face is practically a part of CYS for me. I don't care what you do with the right, but the words and the face should stay.

11 years ago

I don't mind the stuff on the right but I've always felt that the face looks a little weird. I'm indifferent to changing it though.

11 years ago

Okay, so can we do something with the right? O.O

11 years ago

The whole site will get a big facelift soon, and I'll post works in progress as they come in. Right now, I have someone working on a new look... so I too am very curious what it will be. I left it pretty open w/ the designer, but I said that I loved this drawing (except for the fact that it's so unfinished looking), and that a retro victorian (steam punk / parlour room) look could just hit the spot. I think that's what we were trying to go for back in... jeeze... 2002.

What I can say is that at least half of you who spends a ton of time here will dislike it, no matter what it is. It's human nature, and we're human. I hated the new major Microsoft Office (2007) changes, and hated the Windows changes (Vista)... but by the time 2010 and Windows 7 rolled out, I liked it. It really is superior. That being said, I absolutely hate Window 8... seriously, no start button!?

But, it has to happen. It's outdated, doesn't work on mobile phones, etc. The storygames that you guys build are incredible pieces of fiction, and the current look & feel just doesn't do them justice --- visitors to the site get turned off by the abbrasive look, and that means less people read your work.

That said, I do hope that some elements of CYS stick around -- but regardless, i'll make sure to bury plenty of easter eggs and retro bits for you guys to find :-)

11 years ago

Ohhh we could have an easter egg hunt contest.

11 years ago

I talked about this a while ago but you rejected my idea frown

%Pr

11 years ago

Weren't you banned?

Anyway, a lot of people got their ideas rejected simply because they weren't important enough to contact a creator. example: outdated art =/= a virus that changed everybody's profile pic

11 years ago

I complete disagree with the OP. I think that the mural is one of the best things about the site. It makes it stand out among other websites on the Internet that don't have such stylistic elements in them. I am completely against changing the masthead picture.

If you were to change it, a crazy idea I had (or maybe just remember from someone else's suggestion) is to make a drawing for each of the Storygame categories on this site, and then combine all the drawings into one mural, kinda like it is now. Then when you hover your cursor over each of the drawings, they become clickable links to that Storygame category (for example, the Dragon would direct you to Fantasy, the Aliens would direct you to Sci-Fi, etc.)

11 years ago

Was the mural on the top taken down or is my computer malfunctioning?

11 years ago

It's still there for me.