Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was accepted 6/29/2012: Sounds good!
This feature was completed 6/29/2012: Finished. Thanks for help all.

New Section in the Forums

11 years ago

I believe there should be a folder for forum games and the development of them to help clear clutter in the lounge.

11 years ago

I'm happy for this to go through.

11 years ago

Come up with a clever name and description (like the other forum names), and it shall be :-)

11 years ago

Forum Games

Make, play and discuss forum games and everything to do with them.

11 years ago

Mafia Zone

Make, play and discuss forum games and dodge the occasional bullet.

11 years ago

I should note that I have absolutely no idea what a Forum Game is. I saw the Neo Continent and mafia thing, then saw there were players, private messages involved, etc. Seems like that goes out of the bounds of the "Forums"? Perhaps the description should better explain what they are?

11 years ago

Forum games are any games that may take place in the forums. Examples of these would be Neo Continent, mafia games,  and the quick one's (i.e Riddles,  Person Below Me, i.e.)

11 years ago

Well, I gathered that from the name... but what's the Neo Continent and Mafia games all about? IS there an article? Is it CYOA-related at all?

11 years ago

How can I make an article? and No there is not one. Yes I believe it is. At least some forum games are.

11 years ago

This is for a mafia:

Basically, there are two teams of players, civilian and mafia. The civilians are told there are mafia players wanting to kill them. Everybody poses as a civilian and only the mafia know who other mafia are. During the day, all of the players discuss things and vote on someone to lynch in hopes of killing the mafia. They can vote to lynch someone or vote a no lynch. Whether they kill a civilian or a mafia isn't known until the lynch is committed. At night, the mafia is able to kill one person of their choosing. Let me set up an example.

There are 8 civilians and 4 mafia.

Day 1: Players vote no lynch.
Night 1: Mafia 1 kills civilian 4.

There are 7 civilians and 4 mafia.

Day 2: Players vote to lynch Civilian 2. (Thinking he is mafia.)
Night 2: Mafia 3 kills civilian 7

There are 5 civilians and 4 mafia.

Day 3: Players vote to lynch mafia 3. (Thinking he is mafia.)
Night 3: Mafia 1 kills civilian 1.

There are 4 civilians and 3 mafia.

Day 4: Players vote to lynch mafia 2. (Thinking he is mafia.)
Night 4: Mafia 1 kills civilian 8.

There are 3 civilians and 2 mafia.

Day 5: Players vote to lynch civilian 5. (Thinking he is mafia.)

At this point, the mafia wins no matter what since they outnumber the civilians. Even if the mafia expose themselves, the civilians can't vote to lynch the mafia since the mafia overrules them. The mafia can then kill them all one by one until the civilians are dead.

Result: Mafia wins on Day 5.

This is only a model for a simplistic version of the game. You should feel free to throw in some twists of your own kind for your game.

11 years ago

The rules for forum games such as mafia, Neo Continent and President are generally explained within the threads containing the forum game. They are not CYOA-related. If an article were to be written on what forum games are, it'd be a general overview of the different types of forum games. There are some, like some of JJJ's forum games and Neo Continent in which the forums are more of a discussion thread for games that take place through PMs and external sites (eg. Google Docs). There are some, like mafia, which are strategy games that take place almost entirely through the forums and the personal message system. Then there are the +1 post count games like Mysterious Box (which you'd have to ask Cool or BerkaZerka or someone else what the appeal is).

11 years ago

The appeal for me at least was that it raises your post count back when that was important to me. It does get tedious after a while though. The other appeal is that sometimes the games are just silly and fun due to all of the randomness.

11 years ago

Sometimes the appeal is just the simpleness of the game.

11 years ago

Forum Games

Forum games are text-based multiplayer games played by posting on internet forums. Play games made by other members or create your own here.

(Technically, Neo Continent or most of JJJ's games don't fit into that description but for all intents and purposes would be suitable for this board. That's the only proper description of forum games I could find, most other websites figure forum games are pretty self-explanatory and don't explain them in their board descriptions.)

11 years ago

I think it works. So when should we expect this to be up and running?