Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

sanctity of life VS quality of life

11 years ago

so, if a mother has an unwanted child (perhaps from a one-night-stand/ rape) and she feels that it would be better for her and the baby for her to have abortion (perhaps she is very young/ has no money to be able to support the child/ is not in stable relationship) should she do it?

this is a tough issue and i want to know what you guys think. 

no trolling please. this is a serious issue and there is no need to be a jerk.

people with have different views from you, accept it.

only put proper facts to support your argument, don't just make things up.

thanks

sanity of life VS quality of life

11 years ago

I personally feel that it should be acceptable to abort the baby. When you're in a situation where it would be mutually harmful to both the mother and especially the baby (that's normally who I think about when discussing abortions) then it would just be wrong to force the mother to ruin her life and an unborn baby to have a terrible life. Whether it's a drug addict's baby who will be born with an addiction or the baby of an underaged mother who has no way to pay for it and can't continue her education to get a job, or the baby of someone who doesn't want it and will be treated maliciously by its parents as a result, an abortion would be the way to go rather than damn it to that life.

On an unrelated note, I keep thinking you're madglee :P

11 years ago

yes but wouldn't it be seen that the mother couldnt personally make the choice as it isn't just her life that would be affected, as the baby wouldn't even have a chance at life. wouldnt it be seen that even if the woman couldnt take care of it then she could send it to an Orphanage where it could have a happy life?

im undecided on this issue, so im just trying to see everyones point of view,

haha lol, a what?? 

11 years ago

basically the argument is Life Or Choice?

is it possible to personally be in favor of Life but believe that people should have the choice???

11 years ago

Yep! Pro-choice is basically saying "you can choose whether to have an abortion or not", where as pro-life is saying "you cannot choose, you must not have an abortion". There are many pro-choice people who personally wouldn't get an abortion; the difference is they support allowing other people to choose for themselves.

11 years ago

Definitely. If I ever got a woman pregnant I'd try to avoid an abortion since I recognize that it has the potential to become a life but since it isn't a life yet, I see no problem with abortion.

11 years ago

Since October summed it up perfectly I'll just address the last sentence. Madglee is an admin here who wrote the most complex story on the site and does something in the medical profession (I forgot what exactly). I saw the first three letters of your name and assumed you were him as i wasn't aware of anyone named Maddie on the site.

11 years ago

Seems a little strange for a member to sign up and almost immediately make a thread about abortion. Eh, I'll bite.

If she feels it would be better for her (arguably it can't affect the baby because it doesn't exist yet) then of course she should do it. As long as the foetus still in the first trimester I see nothing wrong with abortion.

11 years ago

im just interested in different peoples point of view in this particular topic, i have made a game concerning this issue and wanted to see what everyone thought about it.

11 years ago

I see no problem with it.

11 years ago

Didn't we already have a thread called Abortion for this?

11 years ago

We've had multiple abortion threads.

11 years ago

I believe someone shouldn't get an abortion because there is foster care and adoption.

11 years ago

yeah, but first the mother has to go through 9 months (where she could be kicked out of school/ work/ home by her parents) and giving up your baby is one of the hardest things to do.

11 years ago

Actually, you cannot be kicked out of school/work for being pregnant and if you are under 18 you cannot be kicked out by your parents. By law they have to feed clothe and home you till your 18, unless they want to go to jail.

11 years ago

ok, say that you are 19. you're kicked out by your parents, you have no uncles/ aunts/ grandparents ect.  now where do you go?

P.S you can get kicked out of school for being pregnant

11 years ago

Pretty sure those are rare cases where students are kicked out of school. There were a few people pregnant at my high school and nothing happened to them. If anything they were given more leeway and special treatment.

11 years ago

If your 19 you are probably in college and have a dorm or an apperment with multiple people living in it to help.  If your not in college you were probably not going anywhere anyway.

11 years ago

Dorms are insanely expensive to stay in. No idea why someone would ever live there apart from the experience I suppose.

11 years ago

John D. Rockefeller would like to disagree with you. So would Lebron James and Kobe Bryant as well.

11 years ago

I said probably leaving room for exception such as the men above.

11 years ago

No, you said probably which made a rude judgement :P I can't say what you meant, but I can say how it came across.

11 years ago

1.) I currently know 3 people who have been kicked out of the house for less than knocking someone up or being knocked up

2.) Private Schools and colleges reserve the right to accept and discharge (for private schools) who they want regardless of academic achievement

3.) If your pregnancy renders you incapable of performing your job, you can be at least suspended, if not fired. Just like drug addiction or alcoholism.

11 years ago

1.) If they are minors it is illegal to do so

2.) Don't go to private schools.

3.) They can't fire you based off pregnancy. That is why maternity leave exists.

11 years ago

Cool, I've been kicked out of my house on multiple occasions.

11 years ago

Doesn't mean your parents were legally allowed to do it.

11 years ago

I think people should have the choice to do what they believe is right.

11 years ago

That can bring in all sorts of trouble..... There are people in this world with very twisted ideas of what is right and wrong.

11 years ago

Yeah but if someone really believes something is right they are going to do it regardless.

11 years ago

That doesn't mean they should be allowed to do it though.

11 years ago

but do other people have the right to force to force them into a situation? even if they disagree with the mother's wishes? 

11 years ago

Depends on the situation. To stop doing drugs, yes. To murder their family, no (looking at you, Kony <-<)

11 years ago

You made a game to show your opinion on this argument?

11 years ago

To be fair, Madglee wrote a story because he was pissed at his roomate.

11 years ago

ah okay, that makes more sense.

11 years ago

*back to the abortion topic.

If I did have a pro-choice reason, it would be that giving birth then adoption would be bettter.

But if the childbirth will me or the baby, abortion it goes.

?Here's the thing, I don't really like pro-choice.  Religious and philosophical reasons.

11 years ago

I think in the near future...

All these repost of threads are going to get really short, considering all the time we spent on these topics.

11 years ago

You might want to post to the OP if you're dealing with the subject they're dealing with.

Anywho, why don't you like Pro-choice? A lot of pro-choice people actually don't believe in abortion (I think we saw a few above)

11 years ago

Long time no see.

Abortion to me is just an excuse from responsibility.  That irresponsibility is laziness, and to me, allowing abortion as an "I-can-always-have-sex-and-get-away-with-it" laziness is a character I would not like to see in the near future.

Otherwise, if the incident involves forced rape, and ONLY forced rape, abortion MIGHT be considered.

That would be the ideal law of abortion.  It teaches people not to get laid all the time :D.( or use condoms.)

11 years ago

Condoms break and birth control fails.

So... you want to outlaw abortion because it might make people lazy?

11 years ago

It makes them develop bad morals.

Sorry if I failed to elaborate this.

11 years ago

So what? We shouldn't be sentencing people to prison because they have bad morals. First off, I don't see how someone getting an abortion is going to lead to a country-wide moral epidemic. Second, you can't criminalize something based on as shaky a ground as morals. Not only do people have different opinion on morals, but it would be the starting point of a slippery-slope into oppressive rule.

11 years ago

Not to mention that forcing children to be born with drug addictions from addicted mothers and forcing teenagers to forfeit their entire futures just because you want them to submit to your personal worldview is pretty immoral.

11 years ago

again, throw them out for adoption.

11 years ago

Ok, I'm sorry... But, what do you mean throw them out for adoption?

That is a very cold hearted way of putting it. I was adopted when I was very young and let me tell you that I was never 'thrown out' by my birth mother. It is a VERY difficult decision to make. I have many friends with out of wedlock children and they always spoke to me about my experience as an adopted child during their pregnancies. I feel it can be a very positive thing, but only if done the right way under the right circumstances.

Carrying a child inside you and giving birth, only to never be able to even hold them or see them, is an emotionally devastating occurrence  no matter the circumstances of the pregnancy. And the friends I have who have had to consider that option all have told me how difficult it was to imagine having that happen. Do their children have EVERYTHING they could want? Maybe they do, maybe they don't. It is a purely situational thing.

I myself was the product of a very bad situation. I won't elaborate, but lets just say, although I am personally VERY thankful my birth mother did not choose abortion, I would not have held it against her if she had. She had to hide the entire pregnancy from her family by moving out of state to stay with her sister over the summer. She chose to do a private adoption through an attorney and so she personally screened through many couples looking to adopt. She chose my parents and they chose her. Other than being teased as a kid and a little bullying throughout high school(mostly my fault because I have never been and never will be ashamed of being adopted and I am open about it). Yes, I have had a lot to come to terms with over the years because of being adopted, but I am a stronger person for it. I have never met my birth mother and I don't know if I ever will, but I will ALWAYS be thankful she made that choice. 

In the end, I realize I had three possible ways I could have grown up. I may have grown up with a teen mother who had no support from her family and certainly I would have had no father figure(under the circumstances I wouldn't have wanted him anyway). My life would be difficult, but doable. Everything happens for a reason, I truly believe that.

I may have been aborted. Sure I wouldn't have been given the chance at the life that I was given. Do I believe I deserve a chance to live? Yes, I do. But, I also understand that there are some things that are just too emotionally devastating to work through. Even if it wasn't my fault a terrible thing happened to my birth mother, I would NEVER have wanted to be something in her life that caused her more emotional pain to the point where she would have resented me and hated herself for 9 months. I would not have held it against if she had decided that she could not handle an entire pregnancy and had chosen abortion.

I was adopted by a wonderful family. Are there extended family members that don't approve of me? Yes, we just don't bother with them. Does it hurt that sometimes I feel like I wasn't meant to be there? Yes, but I also realize that I am here for a reason.

That said, I can understand abortion to an extent. I don't think it should be used as a birth control. For one it has a lot of long term risks in doing so. I think it is something that a woman should take very seriously to truly consider. I have met women who have had abortions and did not regret them, but I have also met women who are completely broken hearted about having had one in the past. It isn't a decision that should be taken lightly. But, in the end it IS that particular woman's decision. Everyone is entitled to their rights and their opinions and should not have others' ideas forced down their throats. Abortion can be good or bad. It is something that may haunt a woman in the future or it may not. I believe a child is a child from the moment it is conceived, but also that it is a parent's job to make sure they do what is right for the child. If they believe abortion is the right thing for the child, then they should do so without the hounding of other people telling them they are wrong. Their choice is their choice, no one else's.

And we should all respect everyone's opinion. But, at the same time. Respect is earned. When you have an opinion, state it with care and good intentions. Hurtful phrases like 'Toss them out for adoption' is not only degrading and insulting, but it takes things from being a personal opinion to being an ignorant insult.

11 years ago

If you look at it from the mother's way who doesn't want or care about the child, it would be throwing out.  I am against abortion too, but you have to see from perspectives sometimes before making an essay.

For the most part, I agree with you, I just don;t have the guts to say that kind of stuff, so thank oyou.

11 years ago

Just because a woman doesn't want a child doesn't mean she doesn't care for it. I know many women who say they hate kids then the second they have their child say it changes their lives. 

11 years ago

They say a woman only becomes a mother when she becomes pregnant, and a man when he sees the child.

11 years ago

I just found it extremely ignorant to say that adoption is "throwing out a child". Throwing out a child is when you toss them in a dumpster or leave them in a toilet. I've been called many things over the years from "hand me down" to "someone's trash is someone else's treasure" ect. So I guess perhaps I am very touchy about those sorts of phrases(as is every other adopted child I have ever met)

I would just caution against such phrases. It tends to come across as an insult(not sure how it could be taken otherwise personally). I mean, how would you feel if you had been adopted and someone claimed your birth mother "who had cared enough about you to try and give you some chance at life even if she couldn't give it" had tossed you out? It's like being told you are garbage to be thrown away. It dehumanizes you. 

My main point was that just because you feel like adoption is tossing the child away, doesn't mean it is something you should go around saying. I mean, it is just as offensive as calling a homosexual the f word or an African American the N word. I hope that puts it in better perspective. Adoptees are people, not anything that was EVER thrown out. Unwanted? Maybe. A mistake? Perhaps. But, no person deserves to be called derogatory terms.

I do respect your opinion, I just had a problem with the wording.

11 years ago

The logic of "but then the kid doesn't get a chance at life" applies equally well to all the children never conceived. Stop using condoms, people, that sex you're having could be procreative! Not having sex? Better get started! You, too, could bring new life into the world that would otherwise never have had a chance to live!

Yeah, I have an opinion on this. :P

11 years ago

Not sure if sarcastic or serious. It looks like a sarcastic comment, but it doesn't convey well across the internet.

11 years ago

He's using the argument of you preventing a life through abortion, expanding it, and showing how ridiculous it seems to him.

11 years ago

Yeah. Without the sarcasm: I don't think the potential human being that is a fetus has more of a "right to life" than the potential human being that is still a separate egg and sperm. Each of us contains millions of "potential lives." That doesn't constitute an obligation to conceive, bear, or raise any of them.

Anyone who was an unwanted pregnancy can say -- well, hopefully -- that we're glad to be alive, that we wouldn't want to have been aborted. The thing is, all those people who don't exist because someone used a condom? They'd think that too, if things had gone differently. So I don't think that's a valid argument against abortion.

11 years ago

Yeah, I kind of figured, but I've found people who make arguments like that on the internet and are completely serious :P That's why i was just making sure you were sarcastic or serious.

11 years ago

Against abortion, unless the mothers life is in danger.

11 years ago

Are you pro-life or just against abortion?

11 years ago

Just against abortion if I get what your asking.