Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Why are we here?

11 years ago

I want to know why you think the human race was put on this Earth and what's the value of ?ALL human life and are we alone in this universe.

Why are we here?

11 years ago

I think the more interesting is: Why are goats here?

Why are we here?

11 years ago

haha funny

Why are we here?

11 years ago

The real question is, why is Goatse here?

Why are we here?

10 years ago

because they're FREAKING AWESOME! SUPERHERO MUSIC! DA DA DAAAA! GOATS!

Why are we here?

10 years ago

anybody agree? indecision

Why are we here?

11 years ago

Well to your first question it depends on if you believe in God or not and I seriously doubt that we are the only sentient creature in the entire universe.

Why are we here?

11 years ago

It's one of life's great mysteries, isn't it? Why are we here? I mean, are we the product of some... cosmic coincidence? Or is there really a God, watching everything, you know, with a plan for us and stuff. I don't know man, but it keeps me up at night.

Why are we here?

11 years ago

Nobody gets the reference?

Why are we here?

11 years ago

I think I do but I'm not quite sure.

Why are we here?

11 years ago

What's your guess?

Added latter: If your thinking something involving halo your probably right.

Why are we here?

11 years ago

Nope, it reminds me of a scene from some movie or tv show but not Halo.

Why are we here?

11 years ago

It is a quote from the very first episode of Red vs Blue.

Why are we here?

11 years ago

according to science there are infinite possibilities of combinations of atoms and ours was really awesome and made life. How ever if there are infinite possibilities it also means unicorns will be real. NOOOOOO

Why are we here?

11 years ago

Not so. It means that there is the possibility that unicorns could exist, but I'd say that they'd have to evolve from horses before horses go extinct / the word explodes. So they won't necessarily exist.

Why are we here?

11 years ago

eventually they will. maybe they do exist or already have existed. But because atoms arrange themselves randomly one of the combinations will eventually be a unicorn even if it is no where near Earth.

Why are we here?

11 years ago

Not necessarily true. For that to be true, you'd have to postulate that the universe will exist forever. If there's a limited time frame then there's no guarantee that a unicorn will exist. Only on an unlimited time frame does that become assured.

Why are we here?

11 years ago

I doubt we are alone in the universe and I doubt even more we have a specific purpose behind our existence.

Why are we here?

11 years ago

Sure, but consider time. We could be the only sentient race that exists right now. Human's have only been a civilization for 2000 years... so, while I agree that it's unlikely that we're the only possible sentient race, I'd say it's quite possible that other races have existed and will exist but don't exist right now.

Why are we here?

11 years ago

Only sentient race that we know of right now, I doubt Earth is the only life-supporting planet in the universe.

Also, have we really only been a civilization for 2000 years? I haven't looked into the subject so I don't know what constitutes a civilization, but didn't the Romans have a civilization before Jesus's birth? And the Greeks before that?

Why are we here?

11 years ago

I was thinking more 4012 years ago was when we established our "first civilization."

Why are we here?

11 years ago

There is an answer to this question. If you believe that Jesus Christ has risen then in the Bible it does have a answer.

The reason why we were created is to do one thing:

Worship the Lord.

In Ephesians 1:6 it says, "to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved."

John 4:23 says, "But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers."

Jesus said in Mark 12:29-30 that you are too, "Jesus answered, "The foremost is, Hear O Israel! The Lord Our God is One Lord; And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength." Jesus taught that this was the greatest commandment. 

See, the reason why Jesus came down on to earth to save sinners was not so that we can escape hell, though that is a blessing. He did not come down to save us so that we may live eternally in heaven and have all the blessings that come with that, though again, that is a blessing. The reason why Christ came to save unbelievers is because he seeks to be worshipped.

Now you might say, "Hey, that's arrogant!" but it's not.

First of all, God is holy and righteous. Scripture teaches that he is perfect and just in all his ways. He has never done nor has any sin in him. So to try to attack his character and say he's arrogant or obnoxious is clearly against what the Bible has preached about him and untrue. 

Second of all, God is worthy of praise. When you think about God and all that he has done he must be worshipped. A God that created this planet and all the complex creatures on it deserves to be praised.

In Romans 1:5 it says, "through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith among all the Gentiles for His name's sake,"

In Nehemiah 9:6 it says, "You alone are the Lord. You have made the heavens, The heaven of heavens with all their host, The earth and all that is on it, The seas and all that is in them. You give life to all of them And the heavenly host bows down before You."

Psalms is a great book of worship. In the twenty second chapter, verses 25-27, "From You comes my praise in the great assembly; I shall pay my vows before those who fear Him. The afflicted will eat and be satisfied; Those who seek Him will praise the Lord. Let your heart live forever! All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the Lord, And all the families of the nations will worship before You."

And for true believers who are either in or going to heaven, we will spend the rest of eternity worshiping him forever and ever.

In Revelations 5:13-14 it says, " And every created thing which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all things in them, I heard saying, "To Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, be blessing and honor and glory and dominion forever and ever." And the four living creatures kept saying, "Amen." And the elders fell down and worshiped."

Worshiping the Lord Jesus Christ is what we were created to do as human beings.

Why are we here?

11 years ago

I love hearing peoples' opinions on that question!

Personally, I believe in the God and Goddess. That they appear in many forms(thus why I believe there is no wrong religion) and that they love and guide us.

I believe that over the course of many lives, the soul attempts to achieve unity with them. And through the various lives of the soul, we may or may not gain enlightenment. 

I also believe in The Law of Three. Whatever you do will come back to you eventually three times. In other words, if you do bad it will be revisited on you three fold and the same goes for the good. Karma if you will. 

It's hard for me to put the value of human life into words. I believe that we should NEVER in any way, shape, or form harm another person. But, I also believe we, as the sentient beings of this world, should respect and protect our fellow creatures. Whereas, yes, we do eat them for food, as do many creatures eat their prey. We should never waste it and always give thanks to the spirit of that which we take for our own needs. I am a firm believer that we, also as the children of the God and Goddess, must love, respect, and protect the earth. 

I don't doubt that we are not alone in the universe, or even this world. For one, as a believer in a higher power, I think that at the very least, beings of a higher intellect exist both on our plane and different planes of existence. Whose to say that everyone around you really is just a human? There are even biblical(though conveniently left out of the modern bible) books which speak of angels becoming intimate with humans and creating a hybrid species(which God then proceeded to destroy with the flood after casting those angels out of Heaven). If you read these books which weren't included in the modern bible, you see a lot of other explanations for various biblical happenings than just the ones given in what was included. And of course there are many, many other religious texts that hint at such beings as well.

Well, that's my personal beliefs. I hope other people reply too, I love hearing people talk about their thoughts on this subject!

~Evangeline

Why are we here?

11 years ago

"The Law of Three" Broken way to many times in history.

Why are we here?

11 years ago

Yes unfortunately...

Why are we here?

11 years ago

The problem I have with the Law of Three is if you murder someone, how can you be murdered three times?

Why are we here?

11 years ago

That's unfortunately the problem with a lot of supernatural theories (like Karma or the Law of Three) in that you don't know how you're going to be repayed so it's virtually impossible to prove or disprove it. For all you know, when you murder something, the three could come in A.) getting thrown in jail, B.) Getting raped and AIDS as a result, then C.) getting shanked and dying (if I understand the theory correctly). If I do get what it's talking about, you simply get paid back in threes, not neccesarily have the same thing happen to you three times, but I haven't spent a whole lot of time studying it so I don't know for sure.

On a related note, the only way you could prove or disprove this for certain is if you monitor someone from birth to death, record every bad act that he/she did or had done to him/her completely accurately. If you divide what happened to him/her by three and it equals the number of what he/she did badly, then it's been proven correct. However, if it's even one over or under it's proven false. Of course that'll never happen, but I had fun thinking about it.

Why are we here?

11 years ago

Haha, yes it can be like that. Everyone has their own personal opinions on things, so really it will differ based on whom you ask.

Here is my personal opinion:

It isn't so much that you will be murdered three times(Unless you look at it in a highly literal sense and believe in reincarnation). Basically it suggests if you murder someone then you will eventually meet a fate three times worse than what you caused. A person may shoot someone else in a robbery only to find themselves once again completely broke, then circumstances(karma if you want to call it that) pushes them into a worse and worse situation until eventually they either die a painful death or live their entire life in misery. Sometimes, there really are worse fates than death.

The same goes for the positive. Just because you give someone a dollar one day, doesn't mean you will get three dollars in return. But, eventually something even more positive will come your way. For example maybe one day you find a ten dollar bill on the ground and it turns out you needed just ten more dollars to pay your rent that month. Or perhaps one day you are in need of help and someone stops to help you.

I am sure there are many that take The Law of Three literally, but I prefer it in a more metaphorical sense. Yes, I believe in karma. But, it won't always be"in your face three times of what you did to that person". 

On the note of recording someone's deeds from birth to death, you also have to take into consideration that many(though not all) believers in karma also may believe in reincarnation. Thus, if that is also considered a factor, you would have to think that perhaps they were born into a better/worse situation due to any left over karma from a previous life.

After all the point of Karma is to eventually rid yourself of all the bad and collect enough good karma to achieve oneness with the God(ess). This could mean Heaven, Paradise, or Nirvana, ect. depending on the religion or whom you ask. 

Why are we here?

11 years ago
If you murder someone, you can possibly kill them three times if you look at it from a non traditional point of view.

If you mentally/physically torture them first to the point that you "break" them. Then you can claim you have successfully "killed" them emotionally.

If you've manage to get them to renounce their belief systems (whatever those may be) then you've effectively killed them spiritually as well. In the case of atheists this still works if you somehow manage to get them to beg for God, Allah, Buddha, Voodoo Man, or whoever to help them during the torture session. (Nihilists might prove to be more difficult though, but we're just talking about the average person here for example purposes.)

Then you can go ahead and kill them physically which they may be begging for at this point.

There you go the law of three, well sort of anyway.

Why are we here?

10 years ago

Yes! Yes! Genius!

Why are we here?

10 years ago

Hey! You're back - Welcome :)

(and behave this time haha!)  ;)

Why are we here?

10 years ago

Thank you! And I plan to. (I actually have a semi-epic post planned on that subject, but the rich text editor isn't working, among other things, so I won't be writing it up just yet.

Why are we here?

11 years ago

I believe in a God. For some gut reason, I just don't like the Big Bang Theory and can't accept it as true. I believe some spiritual being created the universe just to sit back and watch then judge us in the afterlife. Whether you believe or not doesn't matter, as long as you are and act like a good person, you should get into Heaven or whatever name it's called.

I don't think we're alone in the universe. When you just look up at all the stars in the sky and realize that each of those stars holds a solar system like our's the possibilities are endless.

Why are we here?

11 years ago

^Agreed

Why are we here?

11 years ago

Relevant

Why are we here?

11 years ago

Hahaha, that just made my day!

Why are we here?

11 years ago

Haha, that's pretty great.

Why are we here?

11 years ago

lol Epic

Why are we here?

11 years ago

Nice

Why are we here?

11 years ago

Made me laugh.

Why are we here?

11 years ago

That is fantastic.

Why are we here?

11 years ago

Well, I believe in evolution, so our sole purpose is to pass on our genes, nothing more. We probably are not alone in the universe.

Why are we here?

11 years ago

Look up the "God Particle" or the Higgs Boson and you'll find out why we're here. Pure chance.

Why are we here?

11 years ago

you have a thing about restating what i said

Why are we here?

11 years ago

You wrote something about unicorns existing because of the possibility of endless forms of creation. I fail to see how that's similar, but you might know something I don't. Have we had "similar" thought processes in the past? Your comment leads me to believe I've "restated" what you said before.

Why are we here?

11 years ago

(Hi everyone) What I think madglee is saying is that the fact mass/atoms exist is chance. The fact that there is matter was complete luck. If you watch Stephen Hawking's into the Universe its really fascinating about how everything come to be. Here's a 'highlight' of the series, and pay special attention to the second half for the chance aspect of existence. http://youtu.be/gs-yWMuBNr4

Why are we here?

11 years ago

I think we're on Earth because that's where we evolved.

I do more or less believe in God, yeah, but I tend to take a fairly secular view on such things as science. I guess I figure perhaps a deity set the thing in motion or set up the conditions for the Big Bang or what-have-you, but I have no really strong belief or opinion on the matter. I'm never sure what I can say I "believe" as far as that goes, and what I simply consider a hypothetical possibility.

The value of human life is mostly in its potential, and in the emotional and psychological ties between different humans, as well as the amazing feats of the human intellect and such things as language and complex culture.

I think it's likely there is life on other planets somewhere, but it doesn't seem like that important of a consideration for the average human. For most people it's just something interesting to think about, nothing more.

Why are we here?

10 years ago

I think to answer the question 'why are we here?' we must first understand the question.  I usually understand this question to mean: what is the purpose to an individual's life?  To find that out, I invite you to study one of the shortest life spans in the animal kingdom: the Mayfly.  Its adult form lives only for a few days-it doesn't even have a functional mouth or digestive system. So what is so important that every Mayfly will try to do in the few days it has to live?  Have sex.  Yes, sir.  All animals, from the shortest living flies to tortoises that can live to be over 150, all have the same goal to reproduce.  So the answer to this question is really quite simple if you don't over-complicate it.  You were born to have sex.  It's one of the earliest instincts in a child, even toddlers have been observed to stimulate themselves.
So let's all go out there and fulfill our purpose!

Why are we here?

10 years ago

does that mean rape is legal morally correct 

Why are we here?

10 years ago

yes

Why are we here?

10 years ago
sounds good to me. Where do ya wanna meet? OOOOOHHHH you meant just in general... well... this awkward :) hahhaha

Why are we here?

10 years ago

Let's say, Motel 6, Friday night?  Bring self-adhesive envelopes.  Don't ask why, just trust me: you'll need them.

Why are we here?

10 years ago
I love that kinky shit.

Why are we here?

10 years ago

Sure I believe in some form of a spiritual deity because its in human nature to try to explain the unexplainable but, I believe more in the scientific reasoning behind the "god particle" and the Big Bang theory.

Why are we here?

10 years ago

Pretty sure you're kidding, Skysworne... but on the off-chance you're serious, you're completely discounting the earlier stages of its life and what impact its existence has on the food chain, eco-system, and so on. You're only looking at what it chooses to do in the last couple days. Can you honestly base the worth of a human's full life off the last few years? ... I'd rather not have the purpose of my existence judged on something that lasts, on average, roughly 6 minutes. (Not in -my- case, granted. :P But eh, minutes, hours... point is, sex is short. You gotta actually talk to people eventually.)

Why are we here?

10 years ago

Why are we here?

10 years ago

I know what I believe, but finding the answer to that is something that should really be done on an individual, personal basis. Apologies, but I'm not going to elaborate. I don't feel like having a theological or philosophical debate on this site if I can help it, and each time I express my views in detail, I end up in one... partly because I take both a scientific and spiritual stance on this (I feel that the two can co-exist in harmony and do), and it tends to piss off or confuse both extremes, haha.

Mind you, because I believe in it, it's my opinion that my answer is true, and I'm right, then I feel truth is for everyone...

But I also sincerely believe that everyone has the right to choose.

And right or wrong, agree to disagree, I only implore others to take the time to really examine this question, without prejudice.

Why are we here?

10 years ago

I just feel like I have to say this 

that is probably the most well said thing I've read in a long time.

Why are we here?

10 years ago

Why did you all necro my old thread. if your going necro something necro my pokemon theory thread also it great to here your opinions on this.

Why are we here?

10 years ago

pokemon theory? Damn wish I was proactive enough to actually necro a thread

Why are we here?

10 years ago

This thread reminds me of how much I want to be Laplace's demon, (not actually a demon, just an anomaly) I guess I'll have to start counting some atoms.

Why are we here?

10 years ago

Thanks, Hugo, I'm honored.

Why are we here?

10 years ago

The answer is 42.

Why are we here?

10 years ago

lol at revival. 

Why are we here?

10 years ago

There is no meaning behind life. We are alive simply because we are alive.