Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

DayZ - Zombie Survival

11 years ago

Anyone playing that Arma 2 mod? I stumbled upon the mod and Arma2 itself while browsing a MUD's site I used to play. Really intense PvP and very difficult learning curve. Pretty maddening. DayZ is free to play, Arma 2 can be used as a free game but it's a lot more difficult to set up and can be purchased for 25-30 bucks anyway.

The game is basically a zombie survival game where, if you get in the zombies' line of sight (LOS) they run at you like in 28 days later and you will have to shake them off by diving over fences and breaking their LOS. There are items all over the place in farmhouses and what not that you can scavenge to get things like matches (to start a fire), a hunting knife (to skin animals you find and kill and then cut off pieces of meat ---see matches to cook it), hatchets, MP5s, rocket launchers, and vehicles. There are even helicopters. Did I mention you don't start with a weapon?

So basically you're sneaking around trying to equip your guy without dying, slowly building up your guy until you have some nice weapons, all while other players are doing the same. Problem is, some of them are bandits, meaning they kill other "survivors."

The day/night cycle also complicates matters, as if it is night in real life on the server on which you're playing, it's probably night in the game. It is pitch black at night and turning on your flashlight is a really, really, bad idea.

If anyone wants to play sometime, give it a shot and feel free to steam message me or contact me on Skype. I can also tell you the name of a free teamspeak server.

PM me if you want my names/info.

My last game I played with a few guys I met online. We were doing pretty well. One guy was bleeding out so we raided a hospital and I gave him a blood transfusion. The other guy was thirsty and hungry so we found some old pork and beans and a soda and fixed him up. After about three hours, we crept into a military facility, avoiding multiple zombies, but finally had to shoot one. The sound of the shot brought other zombies and we were almost surrounded. Luckily, we fled for the hills and lost them.

Later, we found a big cache of weapons spawned inside an army tent. Right when I bent down to pick up a high powered rifle, my friend's head exploded. I spun around, whipped out my shotgun, and emptied the thing into a bandit standing in front of the tent flap. He went down, firing, and my vision blurred and turned gray before I bled out. The last thing I saw was his partner, camo all over her face and a dirty yellow ponytail, kneel down to steal my hard earned items from my corpse.

DayZ - Zombie Survival

11 years ago

Might have to search this out.

DayZ - Zombie Survival

11 years ago

I'll try it out later but I'm confused as too why the normal download & DayZ is free but OA costs money

DayZ - Zombie Survival

11 years ago

Normal download isn't the full game, and Day Z is a mod of ARMA 2 OA, so naturally it's free.

I have it and played it for a while. The PvP part is too much imo. You practically need to be in a group, otherwise you get killed by anyone who sees you before you see them.

DayZ - Zombie Survival

11 years ago

Pretty much. I made some "friends" on a free TS server and then just skype or TS them. Once you meet some of these type of people, they are far less likely to just blast you because you're no longer pixels on a screen, and have been talking with them a while.

Then again, I have been solo for a good while. Last night I was creeping into this castle and there was a guy in the entryway with some sort of automatic weapon. He didn't see me, so I threw a flare at him, lighting up his surroundings. Zombies swarmed him. While he was busy with them, I crept out of the darkness and fired a few into his head. He dropped and I snuck back off until the zombies were all finished gnawing, then looted.

DayZ - Zombie Survival

11 years ago

The funny thing is that nobody knows about the game, just the mod. I find that funny lol :)

DayZ - Zombie Survival

11 years ago

I know. I'd never heard of that 2009? game and wouldn't really be interested anyway in a military sim. But strap zombies in there with survival/horror feel and it's great. Strange feeling to be wandering around, lost often (you'd have to find a compass to even figure out where you are), scavenging equipment and food, and to suddenly come upon another survivor out of nowhere. I mean, hours can pass before you see anyone.

DayZ - Zombie Survival

11 years ago

The night vision problem?  Throw a road flare far from where you want to be.  The zombies will be attracted, leaving a spot open for you to go to/through.  Otherwise, don't play at night.

DayZ - Zombie Survival

11 years ago

Add me on steam Swift. Pm me with details, let's play.

DayZ - Zombie Survival

11 years ago

I'm kinda suprised that nobody has "built" small communitys where they send out survivors to gather food and supplies.

Still waiting for my paycheck before i can OA. 

DayZ - Zombie Survival

11 years ago

I don't play DayZ, but I do give tips on how to make it easier.

The thing is, the communities consisting of 15 people and less will constantly be pestered by player-killers and zombie hordes.  Eventually, they'll suck up a whole area dry, although there will be many zombies to loot.  They'll collapse due to erosion.

Communities 20+ people will eventually get a jerk who kills off half the people, then ruins any chance of survival for the other half.  From there, erosion from the former paragraph will occur.

Unless everyone in the server is someone you know personally as a good worker/strategist, I doubt that community based gameplays will work.