Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

I ran over a cat :(

11 years ago

I ran over a cat today. I stopped my car and ran outside. The cat looked like it was dancing in circles, then it just dropped and died. I just got back in my car and sped away. I don't know why I'm telling you guys this.

11 years ago

You sped away without even trying to help it?

11 years ago

Not much you can do to help a dead cat.

Calling the owner (if the cat had a tag) would have been a better course of action than speeding off in your car, though.

11 years ago

If it was running around after he hit it initially, the least he could do is check to see if it was really dead or not.

11 years ago

The OP said it had died, I was going off that. If he wasn't sure that the cat was dead then I agree, he definitely should have investigated to make sure.

I'm a little disappointed that he didn't call the owners though. They're probably still worried that their cat hasn't come home yet.

11 years ago

Cat CPR!

Not much you can do with a hit cat. Even if it survived the initial hit, it would likely run off or claw the crap out of you if you went near it. And more than 95% of cats don't even have tags on their collars. The only thing you could really do would be to see if anyone saw you hit it and then take the time to opologize if they did.

Otherwise, you just have to get on your way.

11 years ago

It was dead, trust me.

11 years ago

If you really did run over a cat, don't let it get you down. It was in the past; there's nothing you can do to change what happened.

Have you told anyone else?

11 years ago

Well, there is no one to tell other than my girlfriend and she would probably kick my ass if she found out. I thought it was a wrinkled up grey plastic bag on the road, but when my car slightly went up then back down, I knew it was an animal.

11 years ago

Don't worry, my whole family witnessed an opossum get ran over in an intersection.  It was one car after the other, etc.

11 years ago

Dude, around my neck of the woods we hit those things on purpose. They can kill peoples' horses and cattle. 

11 years ago

Don't get too down. I once ran over a kids Weiner dog puppy right in front of her when the poor thing got away from them in the yard and ran right out in front of me and being in a truck, there wasn't much left. I did attend its funeral the next day though -_-. I. But, I had to remind myself it wasn't really anybodys fault and offered to buy them a new one(thank goodness it hadn't been a fancy purebreed).

11 years ago

The funny thing is, my family's friends (including extended family) own a couple of purebred dogs.  I believe that one of the dogs was a descendant of some (inter)national cup.  Sadly, my aunt couldn't handle two dogs, so she gave it back to the owner.

11 years ago

Yeah I would have had to take out a loan just to buy them a new dog if that was the case. As if emotionally scaring a three and seven year old wasn't bad enough X_X

11 years ago

Some of the ones from good breeders, the breeder might actually replace the dog, depending on the contract signed. And the majority of "pet quality" puppies from good breeders are about $1000 (at least they were last time I looked into it), so even though it's an expensive dog... it's not as much as a lot of people think.

Anyway, I do feel bad for the cat, but it's true that there's not that much you can do if the cat is definitely already dead. It's not true that no cat has a tag/collar--my family's cat does--but it is true that most people don't put them on their cats. The only other thing would be if it were microchipped, and that's less common for cats than for dogs and would have required taking a cat corpse to a vet or humane society to check... and I don't feel like I'd do that either.

Definitely would suck worse to hit a kid's dog in front of the kid, though.

11 years ago

Wow... I've owned a couple purebreeds in my time, but they were never over $500 each. One was a Doberman Pinscher and I bought a Chinese Sharpei this year. Both were purebred with good lines, but neither were over $500. But, still at the time of the poor weiner dog's death I was in high school and minimum wage was around $5.00 back then and I wouldn't have been able to afford any of it -_-

11 years ago

The only dog breeder I ever knew the prices from bred a breed that at the time only had 250 dogs in the country. So that's probably part of it, haha. $1000 is the highest I've heard from good breeders, I guess I should say. Unless they're skinning you for a dog that already has championship titles.

11 years ago

Oh yeah that would explain it XD. Seriously though, I would have been up to my eyeballs in debt if that dog had been more expensive than $75 XD

I ran over a cat :)

11 years ago

Ten points