Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Red Ring of Death

11 years ago

So I come home from a long day of work and a long, boring class after it. I know that I have just enough microsoft points for the new skyrim hearthfire download.

I flip on my trusty Xbox that has been my best friend for years... And then I saw it... The horrible flashing red lights. It just kept blinking and blinking and it won't even cough up the disk inside. I had heard the legends of this horrible thing, but never seen it myself. -_-

RIP Xbox360, I truly loved you.

Red Ring of Death

11 years ago

you do realize the red ring of death means shit right?  There are plenty of ways to fix it besides throwing it away or sending it in to be repaired. I had it happen to me last week and all i had to do was switch the fan inside.

Red Ring of Death

11 years ago

Oh thank god. Everything I saw online either said I had to gut the thing or send it in for repairs(and my warranty is out). -_-

Red Ring of Death

11 years ago

What do you do? Mine red ringed about 3 years ago and I've been hauling it about from city to city, apartment to apartment. Read that it usually needs some soldering, as thought the chip slipped off the mobo. Is that the case? What secrets do you know about quickly fixing this?

Red Ring of Death

11 years ago

When i looked up how to fix it they usually said something about the fan not working and/or that something broke or disconnected from some other part of the xbox. I guess it might vary on each problem though.

Red Ring of Death

11 years ago

Although mine hasn't ringed yet, it figures to keep your box cleaned and cooled.  That's why I leave it next to fan while the box is on.

Red Ring of Death

11 years ago

I did all that too though. I always keep it clean and I have it in a place where it can breath and not get to hot. I'm starting to wonder if mine is just old and I know I've used it alot. :(

Red Ring of Death

11 years ago

I think that could be the cause of your RRoD. It might justhave been saying goodbye to you for all the years you spent with it.

Red Ring of Death

11 years ago

mine had it, but i had a warranty so all good.

Red Ring of Death

11 years ago

I got red rings on mine until i used my vacuum and blew all the dust out of the thing.   After that i took it apart and used a shop vac to clean the fans and thermal unit.  then a while later i had to take it aprt again and clean the laser lens. it needs alot of maintenance for a 6 year old console.

Red Ring of Death

11 years ago

That's about how old mine is. I may give that a try and see if it helps. I've always kept it very clean, but never took it apart and cleaned the inside. Thanks!

Red Ring of Death

11 years ago

Conspiracy theory, Microsoft uses the red ring of death to get more sales.