Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Hipsters

11 years ago

If anybody on this website is a hipster, I should let you know that being a hipster has now become mainstream.

Consider that information however you would like.

Hipsters

11 years ago

Mainstream is just the highway to commute traffic.  I'm above hipsters, I'm myself.

Hipsters

11 years ago

So is it more hipster to like or hate Apple products now?

Hipsters

11 years ago

O.O

You'd actually go with the flow?

Hipsters

11 years ago

What?

Hipsters

11 years ago

Fluffeh kitty.

Hipsters

11 years ago

It reminds me how old I am not really being up to date with teen stereotypes these days -__-.

When I was kid there was just a few stereotypes:nerds,punk rockers, goths, jocks, preps, rednecks, ghetto, and then all around assholes. XD

Hipsters

11 years ago

Don't worry, I don't know the teen stereotypes while being a teenager. I've been cut from the main stream world for a while. Since Yu-Gi-Oh, probably, 

Hipsters

11 years ago

lol, I remember when punk rockers were considered an 'underground' sort of stereotype back in the 90's when I was a kid. Of course, that may have been my southern location, stereotypes tend to hit us much later than everywhere else XD. I think the 'emo' stereotype was just starting to kick in when I graduated.

Hipsters

11 years ago

I lived in Israel, where culture is always 10 years late. I think that they still think that tattoos all over the body is cool. And I think emo came there in 2000, 

Hipsters

11 years ago

Well Israel was ahead of my boondocks town, emo came here around 2004 XD

Hipsters

11 years ago

Holy Crap! And I thought Israel was slow with culture. (Not that I'm complaining, I would rather live in a place without all that bs.) 

Hipsters

11 years ago

Yeah I technically live in the Appalachian mountains, right there on the northeastern tip of SC. I can literally drive ten minutes and be in NC or Ga and Tenn. is under 3 hours away. So there isn't much of an actual city area and we have maybe 8 restaurants within an hours drive that aren't fast food or a waffle house.

To be 100% honest it's unusual to see diversity of any sort here

Hipsters

11 years ago

My community:

Hipsters, Trolls, ABGs, wannabe pimps, and video gamers. 

Hipsters

11 years ago

Mine consists of Rednecks, Mountain people, Bikers, Ranchers, Rich Retired People(only in the summer), maybe 2-3 punk/goth/emo kids I sometimes see around the high school or my college, and then sometimes there are logging operations every 3 or 4 years somewhere on the mountain. 

Hipsters

11 years ago

Besides those, I have:

Happy elderly couples, Angry single old men, skunks, cats, dogs, the occasional kid who thinks CoD is equivalent to life, five people like me, and twenty-five people who got lucky and got in an above position than me.

Hipsters

11 years ago

Hah! I know a kid who thought that he could join the navy seals, and when asked about shooting he said that he played cod. 

On a side note, shooting a rifle is difficult. I did it for a month, (moved so I had to stop) and I never got a bulls eye. 

Hipsters

11 years ago

-__- Yeah, it amazes me how kids think a video game can give those skills in real life.

I actually prefer a rifle or shotgun to a pistol, though I think its because anything bigger than a 9mm has a horrible kickback for me. And even some of the 9mm jump really bad on me. I've been going to the shooting range with my dad's ruger and it always kicks back like its revolted by my hands XD I really want to get my concealed weapons permit, but I can't really afford the program right now much less the revolver I've had my eye on. 

Hipsters

11 years ago

I want to get a rifle at some point, so that I could stop using a borowed one. I shoot targets, and actually got good at shooting with a rifle. Sadly, movies do not reflect reality at all. I think that mabye one person, (a girl) got all 10, but she's been shooting for nearly 5 years I think

Hipsters

11 years ago

I have one for dove hunting, but I have to keep it at my parents' house since my apartments don't allow firearms. And the last thing I need is to be evicted because they barge into my apartment while I'm gone and it's out for whatever reason.

I've had my eye on a small revolver that is popular among women for concealed weapons, but it's around $800 and that's more than my rent right now so it's out of the question for me. Plus the only course nearby to get licensed for it is around $150 right now and I don't even have that much to toss at it -_-

Hipsters

11 years ago

Yeah, guns are expensive. I'm looking for a used rifle, and those cost 450 at least. 

Hipsters

11 years ago

Yeah and don't get me started on the cost of ammo -_-

Hipsters

11 years ago

Ammo's expensive. Guns can be, but I guess it depends on where you are and what you want.

I shot a fancy .22 target rifle for a year... beautiful gun. It's an Anschutz from the '80s, a model they don't make anymore supposedly. But damn, I hate shooting kneeling. It gets old -fast-. Standing's hard to learn for target shooting, but prone... Ah, prone. I love prone. I'm actually good at it. I'd send a picture of one of my targets but I'm lazy.

I like shooting, but I didn't like the people on the team I shot with so much. Weird bunch of guys in this particular case.

Hipsters

11 years ago

Yeah, I like shooting prone, though the jacket you wear makes you sweat like crazy in the summer. But the people I was shooting with were weird but nice. 

Hipsters

11 years ago

What sucks is when you get handed a left-handed shooting jacket, and you're right-handed. Happened to me twice because people kept taking the one in -my- locker (that I shared with another person). 

That, and gloves that are many sizes too large.

They are sweaty... but I also find it such a weird feeling that you essentially want to strap yourself into your equipment so much that you can't actually move effectively.

And then we find pictures of my grandfather shooting an M1 shirtless.

Hipsters

11 years ago

Personally, I would like the FN five-seven, but anything that shoots projectiles tends to smack my face.

Hipsters

11 years ago

So not being a hipster is rejecting the mainstream, and thus becoming a hipster. The only way to avoid becoming a hipster is to accept what's mainstream, which you said is being a hipster. So, really, we're all hipsters using your logic.

Think about it.

Hipsters

11 years ago

That is true.

Talk about circular logic.

Hipsters

11 years ago

I think my roommate was a hipster. I didn't know until I saw it on urban dictionary.

Hipsters

11 years ago

I got called a hipster by a Texan once because I had a pair of Converse sneakers.

Fact is that about 2/3 of the reason I bought them is  Doctor Who (well, the Tenth Doctor).

I think that just makes me a nerd.

Hipsters

11 years ago

Dr. Who is a Hipster icon, but doesn't make you one.

Hipsters

11 years ago

It was especially odd, though, because I swear at least 1/2 of the sneakers I see here (at my university) are either Converse or similar type (canvas with a rubber toe). But apparently where she's from nobody wears them unless they're definitively hipsters.

Doctor Who I think has taken on popularity in a few different spheres. As I've always heard it associated more with nerdiness (albeit not in quite the same way that Star Trek was until the reboot...), though the fashion of it might be a bit hipstery. Though in some regards the two phenomena are probably connected... as certain categories of nerds -love- to tell you about how they were aware of some pop culture thing before you.

I probably look like a hipster now though, with my purchased-from-a-street-vendor-in-Ukraine backpack. But I like it and it serves its purpose.

Keep the skinny jeans and fashion glasses away though. If you actually need glasses, wear them. Otherwise... why pretend you can't see? And skinny jeans... I just don't understand.