Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Competitions?

18 years ago

I have said it before and I'll say it again! 
Can we have muliplayer adventure games? (MPAGs.)

It would work where each page has a choice if player 1 or player 2 was playing.  For example the first page is player 1's turn.  He chooses to attack.  That brings player 2's hitpoints down to 25/30.  He dicides to cure.  It cures 4 points.  Then player 1 chooses he wants to hide.  The next page is player 1's.  The maker of the game decided to make this page invisible for player 2.  Then it is player 2's turn.  He decide's to look behind the rock.  Player 1 is not there.  Player 1 then chooses to sneak attack player 2.  7 damage is done.

The battle would continue untill one player's HP /dropped to 0.

Competitions?

18 years ago
On a different note, I just changed my account info.

Competitions?

18 years ago

What you describe is a MUD. Have you ever looked at those? They're a totally different animal.

The biggest challenge we face here in addig features is making sure that authors will know how to use those features. To develop a MUD, you need to know C++ programming. We don't want MAG developers to have to know *any* programming to develop games.

Competitions?

18 years ago
Oh, OK.  You could change it to be like Monopoly or Payday.  Oh Well.  Forget I mentioned it.

Competitions?

18 years ago

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a bad idea. The Interactive Fiction (Zork and all the Infocom games) and MUD niches are very well established, so we want to carve our own niche -- the easy creation of games.

One thing I have been starting to think about is a Battle Engine. I've got only high level thoughts on it, but, here's what I got ...

- Battles would be a Module of a game (like Items, Variables, etc).
- The net effect of a battle would be a change in variables and items, and going to another page
- I am not sure how the actual battle would work yet
- A Battle would be a Link Destination Type (currently, you can go to Pages, Chapters, End Game, Reset, etc)

Competitions?

18 years ago
That is good.  Alex,  If you have any spare time, you should make a MUD yourself.  Just one and people can battle each other.  You could even make it so there is an AI opponent.

Competitions?

18 years ago

I thought of a way to do the first post without C++ programming.  You just make it so that each page player one or player 2 goes.  That should solve the problem.  MPAGs could have there own page like varibles to be something like this:

Chapter:One      Page:Choose an attack.   Player:One
Chapter:One      Page:He Attacked              Player: Two

Something like that.

Competitions?

18 years ago
Okay, if anyone finds out the name of the series, please notice me. There were a few multiplayer FightingFantasy books which you played "against" each other. Basically, they're your standard FightingFantasy type, and you play on your own for a bit, until you read a passage that tells you to stop and notify your opponent of something, then continue after he's given his choice. I remember two different books, one featuring an elf and a dwarf racing through a Deathtrap Dungeon like trial who could trigger traps for the other, the other one was a Sith and a Jedi trying to obtain an object of power. I don't think there ever used to be a cooperative one, but I'd love to create one.

Competitions?

18 years ago

that sounds cool. but all my friends are younger than me and dont really care about the concept anymore. guess im kind of a loner in these neck of the woods. but they sound cool. the only books i read were just a few years back (97ish) by Joe Dever. it was the Lone Wolf Series. you had to roll dice and fight opponents but only opponents in the books, not a friend or anything.

nate

Competitions?

18 years ago
I played those.... I hated them but I was really bored. Hey Nate, hows Nashville?  Vancouver got Nazy and Tuzzi back.