Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Dialog help

10 years ago

Hi i am a new user here currently in the the process of writhing a story i was curious if their is a certain format to writing dialog for characters on this site if so i would like to learn the format PS: my story is mostly in first person with an occasional third person addition to it Thanks for the help

Dialog help

10 years ago

Ooh - I totally suck at dialog haha!

But, just put the dialog in Quotes and occasionally let the reader know who is still talking  =)

Dialog help

10 years ago

Thanks do you know if its okay to do the Dialog like this

John: what did you say 

Brandon: you heard me

"just an example"

Dialog help

10 years ago

Generally no (even with colored text).

You can of course, but you'll rate higher if you use:

"What did you say?" asked John.

"You heard me," replied Brandon.

Dialog help

10 years ago

Cool thanks you just saved me alot of time ill just change what i do have.

Big fan of ded man walking by the way Thanks for the help

Dialog help

10 years ago

Many, (including me) dislike that way of writing.

Its not fatal to a game, but if your game isn't good, its gonna sink the game completley.

Dialog help

10 years ago

Thanks for the advice

Dialog help

10 years ago

I have another question when your writing from first person do you have to write "i replied" at the end of the dialog or can you just leave the dialog line and write the name of the characters at the end of the others

Dialog help

10 years ago

well to dumb it down for some of the none bright users like myself i would label it just to be clear. and if its in the point of view that the person that the story is about is telling the story to someone else the i would use i replied but if its a story where your trying to make it like the reader is telling the story then i would make it you replied.