Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Re: Save Games

10 years ago

Hi everybody, back again with another obtuse question (or maybe it's just advice, depending on your take). ;P I'm basically just wondering if selectively releasing parts of your game affects players- that is, can save files from a completed chapter then carry across to a newly created one, or should I finish the game in its entirety so that it all gels together? I hope this makes sense- it's just that my project is getting quite ambitious, so I'd like to release just a couple of chapters at a time if possible, get some feedback, e.t.c.

Any suggestions?

10 years ago

You mean copy chapters to another storygame? Then, no.

10 years ago

Just wondering, did that script I gave you work?

10 years ago

Yeah, I only implemented it today but it worked a charm. Still have to tidy up the alignment, but it should be really handy when I pair it with an item the player can use. Thanks so much for the suggestion! :)

10 years ago

Oh, and also I mean the same storygame, but if for example I finished one chapter then completed the second at a later date, would save data carry over? Just something I'm wondering about.

10 years ago

If you took the game down (Un-published it) to add the chapter in, then all saves are wiped out.

10 years ago

It doesnt. That it is a little bad, but still, you might make it much diffrent and that page which the user wasin could be destroyed, making it hard to implement.

10 years ago
Nothing wrong with creating stories in an episode sequence. I think the first episode should have a satisfying conclusion yet be open enough to lead to another. The second episode would be new storygame completely with no way that I can see of "copying and pasting code" from the first to second. If the second requires the same locations, characters, links, variables etc found in the first, they all have to be redone in the second.

Chuck