Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Yearbook

9 years ago

Okay, I think it would be cool if every year, we do a yearbook thing. People can nominate people for titles like "Most highly-rated story-games" or "Friendliest to new members." Create several categories like this, let people vote on them, and give the winners a small amount of points.

Yearbook

9 years ago

Aside from the Points Prize, can't people already do something like this with Forum Posting?

Yearbook

9 years ago

Yes, but I think they want a more official thing? Not sure why.

Yearbook

9 years ago

I suppose. But points or a temporary trophy would help make it more official. Otherwise, the forums would quickly degenerate into arguments about how the person holding the votes is wrong. If it was official, we could have the fun...while avoiding some of the conflict.

Yearbook

9 years ago

I'd be fine with something like a Voted Trophy or something. Where every member gets a single vote and votes on one of the members of the site.

The Creators of the sites would not be able to be voted for the trophy and/or not be able to vote on a member to get the trophy. It would be best if an Admin/Mod managed to voting period so there's no mass-account creating and voting on somebody.

The trophy could have the picture of the CYS guy and say like Voted as Favorite?

Yearbook

9 years ago

So...like a popularity contest? That's interesting.

Yearbook

9 years ago

More or less, it would(hopefully) be more for fun and jokes than actual popularity. Otherwise Endmaster would always win. lol

Yearbook

9 years ago

That's why I think they're should be at least three categories. Maybe like this: Most helpful to new members, best story-game, best forum personality. Maybe even have a "mod of the year" award (my vote would be going to either Berka or Seth).

Yearbook

9 years ago

Wouldn't it be better if [favorite] could be changed to something else? Obviously, these awards must be specific as possible!

Yearbook

9 years ago

I actually really, really like this idea.

Yearbook

9 years ago

We already did one this month. The results are in the Lounge, titled "Yearbook Results". 

Yearbook

9 years ago

If it were to become a site feature, I'd like to incorporate a bit more structure.

Yearbook

9 years ago

What do you mean by "A bit more structure"?

Yearbook

9 years ago

I'd like to re-think the categories, the requirements for voting, the voting period, the frequency of holding a yearbook, and most of all, a yearbook isn't simply a contest. We'd want to create a page of sorts with a variety of links to the year's best moments. We'd want write-ups and images, etc.

Yearbook

9 years ago

If it were to be implemented, when do you think this feature will be available? 

Yearbook

9 years ago

Ages from now. It's as low priority as it gets.

Yearbook

9 years ago

Same here.

Seems like almost everything could be implemented with the forums and an article, too?

Yearbook

9 years ago

Ideally, it would be cool to have a dedicated space on the site for it but it could be done without.

Yearbook

9 years ago

I'm thinking, once the Yearbook is complete, we can link it from the main content, or make a dediated page for it or something...

Yearbook

9 years ago

Yeah, that would be cool. I'll think on the best way to organize it. :)

I'll go ahead and accept this one.

Yearbook

9 years ago

Waitasec... a feature was submitted and accepted.... within 16 days!?!?!

Good god man! We normally ruminate on these things for years!

wink

Yearbook

9 years ago

Hahahahahaha! I'm the hobbit to your ent.

Yearbook

8 years ago

Bump.

Yearbook

8 years ago

But like, James gone.

Yearbook

8 years ago

So?

Yearbook

8 years ago

JJJ-thebanisher

Yearbook

one year ago

I'd like to re-think the categories, the requirements for voting, the voting period, the frequency of holding a yearbook, and most of all, a yearbook isn't simply a contest. We'd want to create a page of sorts with a variety of links to the year's best moments. We'd want write-ups and images, etc.

Yearbook

8 years ago

We never did all that stuff:

Figuring out categories, requirements for voting, etc.

I can make it an article, if we get it sorted.

Yearbook

7 years ago

Moving this out of the FWW. Community never did what was needed to make this happen. We could discuss more about this to see if it's still something we'd be interested in.

Yearbook

7 years ago
I would be interested in this :D

Yearbook

7 years ago

I was never really fond of this idea.

Yearbook

7 years ago

Plus, I think Game Rankings pretty much do the only interesting part.

Yearbook

7 years ago

I don't really like this idea in all honesty. 

Yearbook

7 years ago

Kinda with End and Ms. Apples on this, but I'd actually like to see this for reading/writing related stuff instead of stupid things like funniest trolls. Like members who've earned the most points recently, or members who contributed to a particular category lately. Things that matter and stuff like that.

Also, I remember seeing this tried once. But honestly, it didn't look too efficient.